Sympathy for Wil Wheaton.. =(

Old April 30th 05, 02:54 AM
Brian Link

Default Sympathy for Wil Wheaton.. =(

Sorry - this is kind of a weird post, but I'm compelled..

How odd these Internets are.

I've recently taken to reading the blog of the actor Wil Wheaton -
best known as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek the Next Generation. It's
really fascinating, he's a celebrity, but not a bazillionaire,
creative, nerdy and a fine writer. He writes very personably, and in a
way I know a lot about this guy and his interests and struggles.
Except for his modest fame, he comes off as a regular guy.

A few weeks ago, when I started reading, he was sad about the health
of his cats. One of them had to be put to sleep. The readers were
devastated. The other cat was not very healthy either.

An itinerant poker player, he was on a high last week after being
invited to a "celebrity poker" tournament of sorts. He did quite well,
and all his readers got to learn that in addition to actor, writer and
gadget nerd, he's a pretty good poker player. It was great fun and we
were all in high spirits.

Soon after he stepped off of the plane home though, he found out that
his other cat Sketch had suddenly had a heart attack and died at home.

I don't know that there's any real point in this post - it just struck
me so hard that here's this demi-celebrity, who I've never met and
prolly never will. By all appearances he seems like a really nice guy.
He's opened up a lot of his personal thoughts to the entire wired
planet. And a bunch of people who likewise will never prolly meet
(like most of this newsgroup) get struck by his triumphs and tragedies
as if he were a close friend.

Anyway, it made me really sad to hear about this, and his writing is
painfully eloquent about the situation, as are the writings of so many
kitty mourners here.

His blog is at http://www.wilwheaton.net. Mebbe send him condolences.
Or at least be reminded to treasure your little fuzzball(s) while
they're around.. because "the candle that burns the brightest burns
the briefest".

BLink
Old April 30th 05, 03:21 AM
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
Sorry - this is kind of a weird post, but I'm compelled..

snip

His blog is at http://www.wilwheaton.net. Mebbe send him condolences.
Or at least be reminded to treasure your little fuzzball(s) while
they're around.. because "the candle that burns the brightest burns
the briefest".

BLink

We are huge ST fans here, and I especially liked TNG. Thanks for
posting this. I hate to hear anyone suffer a loss - of any kind.
Grief is a weird and awful beast, yet such an opportunity for learning.

-L.

Old April 30th 05, 03:31 AM
Karen

in article , Brian Link at
wrote on 4/29/05 8:54 PM:

[...]

God! How devestating would THAT be! Never fond of his character on TNG, but
that is not his fault. They wrote him that way.

Old April 30th 05, 05:32 AM
Mary

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian Link wrote:
Sorry - this is kind of a weird post, but I'm compelled..

snip

His blog is at http://www.wilwheaton.net. Mebbe send him condolences.
Or at least be reminded to treasure your little fuzzball(s) while
they're around.. because "the candle that burns the brightest burns
the briefest".

BLink

We are huge ST fans here

Speak for yourself, chubs.

Old April 30th 05, 07:30 AM
-L.

Karen wrote:

God! How devestating would THAT be! Never fond of his character on

TNG, but
that is not his fault. They wrote him that way.

Yeah, he was kinda annoying on TNG. I still liked the nanite episode
and the one where he was testing for the academy.

-L.

Old April 30th 05, 05:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-30, Mary penned:

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

We are huge ST fans here

Speak for yourself, chubs.

I assumed she meant her household.

Lighten up, chubs.

--
monique "get a grip"

Old April 30th 05, 06:32 PM
Mary

On 2005-04-30, Mary penned:

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

We are huge ST fans here

Speak for yourself, chubs.

I assumed she meant her household.

Lighten up, chubs.

--
monique "get a grip"

Oh, **** off Mo. You don't post for weeks and this
is all you have to say?

Mary, "grow the **** up."

Old April 30th 05, 07:52 PM
Joe Canuck

On 2005-04-30, Mary penned:

"-L." wrote in message
groups.com...

We are huge ST fans here

Speak for yourself, chubs.

I assumed she meant her household.

Lighten up, chubs.

--
monique "get a grip"

Oh, **** off Mo. You don't post for weeks and this
is all you have to say?

Mary, "grow the **** up."

Why?

Playing Doctor is so much fun when one approaches it from the mind of a
5 year old yet inside the body of an adult.

Old April 30th 05, 08:10 PM
CATacombs via CatKB.com

There's something about these blogs that makes me retch - they're so self-
centric. I like regular webpages that people make, with photos of their
families and friends and pets and CATS and stuff.

You know...websites that show that other living beings actually exist in
their life other than THEMSELVES.

Old April 30th 05, 09:00 PM
Alison

"Brian Link" wrote in message
I've recently taken to reading the blog of the actor Wil Wheaton -
best known as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek the Next Generation. It's
really fascinating, he's a celebrity, but not a bazillionaire,
creative, nerdy and a fine writer. He writes very personably, and in

way I know a lot about this guy and his interests and struggles.
Except for his modest fame, he comes off as a regular guy..

I thought Next Generation was the best of the Star Treks. I can't
believe it's been 11 years since the series ended.
Wil was also in the 80's film Stand By Me.

Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
http://doginfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/