Pilling Nox

Old March 12th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Pilling Nox

Smokey had his vet visit yesterday.

He had his anal glands inspected and they were not impacted. Just in
case worms are making him do the butt-scoot, everyone in our house got
Drontal pills.

Smokey loves anything he can put in his tummy and the bitties gulped
theirs right down. Nox had to take two pills and we only got one into
her before her snarling, thrashing etc became uncontrollable--we were
afraid she would hurt herself. She's under the bed right now, and I
don't know how we're going to get this second pill into her. Dylan is
afraid she'll aspirate it into her lungs instead of her tummy.

--Fil

Old March 13th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I've yet to see a cat aspirate a pill, but yeah caution is always a
good thing

Try wrapping her in a towel, that might help control the thrashing

THat is if you can get your hands on her. That's the tough part. hehe

Kristi

Old March 29th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:27:11 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

Yikes! I hope she is ok and you manage it. No advice. Pilling is a real hard
thing if you ask me, on the cats that don't cooperate.

I'm lucky in that my crew have never really NEEDED pills, so don't
have much in the way of advice. Actually, the only pills I've ever
given them were pain medication after spaying, and each one reacted
totally different. Little Bit is very submissive, she struggled a
little to let me know she wasn't exactly happy about it. Pilling her
took less than 30 seconds and once the pill was swallowed she forgave
me and she was readyy to cuddle.

Sammy was a different story. She didn't struggle any more than normal
at being picked up (Sammy hates to be held - she wants to MOVE. Which
makes her the easiest to brush, just hold the brush and she walks back
and forth rubbing up against it.) I thought at first I was getting off
easy, just popped the pill in, held her mouth shut until she swallowed
and let her down. As soon as her feet were on the floor she spit out
the pill and ran away. I spent a long time trying to get her to
actually swallow the pill, and finally decided the stress of pilling
was worse than any pain she might be feeling from the spay -
especially since she was so active in avoiding the pill it seemed
chasing her and trying to force her might be causing more pain then
just leaving her alone.

By the time Spotty came along, I had learned a little bit, so instead
of pills I asked for something that could be put in a solution and
given as drops. Spotty didn't have it easy, though. Some of you may
remember that when she showed up on the patio with her kittens they
weren't in the best of shape. The little ones had colds, and she was
recovering from an abcess would, so they had to put up with the nasty
pink stuff (amxicillin IIRC). Spotty also mites and VERY dirty ears,
and she HATED the ear drops.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Pilling Envy! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 4 January 4th 06 01:35 AM
Pilling Fluffy SP Bev Cat anecdotes 8 November 29th 05 06:32 PM
Dangers of Pilling Chris Ciewelich via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 3 April 27th 05 03:37 PM
Dangers of pilling Chris via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 0 April 27th 05 11:51 AM
Pilling vs. Injection? Noreen Cooper Cat health & behaviour 4 August 5th 03 09:38 PM