139 deaths later, heat wave appears over

Old July 29th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default 139 deaths later, heat wave appears over

Well it looks like we finally have a break in the heat. Today topped out at
94f/34c

A lot better than the 115f/46c we ran from last weekend

There have bee 139 heat related deaths in California, so far

http://tinyurl.com/jxls9

Two very sad and scary but typical heat related stories.

A man who lives close to us and who we see out riding his bicycle, etc. died
yesterday. He lived in a mobile home without air conditioning. He had been
offered air conditioners and turned them down. The police had even
explained emergency utility plans to his that would have cut the cost of
operating a/c. And neighbors checked on him frequently. One had stopped by
earlier in the day asking his to go some where and he said no, he didn't
feel well. That he had a head ache and his stomache hurt.

Else where in the valley, two brothers were found dead in their home.
Neighbors had seen them out on the porch drinking their coffee that morning.

The elderly are especially at risk. Their bodies don't handle the heat
well. They often aren't willing to accept help. And they have been around
the heat all their lives and believe they will be OK.

Jo

Old July 29th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
Well it looks like we finally have a break in the heat. Today topped
out at 94f/34c

A lot better than the 115f/46c we ran from last weekend

There have bee 139 heat related deaths in California, so far

There have been 100 gun related deaths in the Memphis area, many of them
children. Give me heat any day. You can run a fan; you can't run from
bullets in the hands of ignorant people.

Jill

Old July 29th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chakolate

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

There have been 100 gun related deaths in the Memphis area, many of
them children. Give me heat any day. You can run a fan; you can't
run from bullets in the hands of ignorant people.

Is it a competition? Does the fact that people died of guns in Memphis
somehow lessen the pain of people dying of heat in California?

Gun violence is terrible, and it sounds like Memphis has a real problem,
as do many urban environments. Dying of heat is terrible, and
California has a real problem, as do many areas of the world.

There's plenty of pain to go around, no need to compete for it.

Chak

--
English is a brawling, promiscuous drunkard of a language made up of
mispronounced and stolen words from other languages, and that's what
Old July 29th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie Cook

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
Well it looks like we finally have a break in the heat. Today topped
out at 94f/34c

A lot better than the 115f/46c we ran from last weekend

There have bee 139 heat related deaths in California, so far

There have been 100 gun related deaths in the Memphis area, many of them
children. Give me heat any day. You can run a fan; you can't run from
bullets in the hands of ignorant people.

Jill

Jill,
Are you all right? You just don't seem yourself lately. Belated birthday
wishes to you btw.

Julie

Old July 29th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

That is just dreadful. That's the saddest part of all, when you hear
about folks who have A/C's but they are afraid to run them becasue of
the cost. It is *shameful* that this happens in this country, where we
have the resources to help people.
I'm glad the heat wave has broken for you all. We had about 95 degrees
today and even had a shower mid-afternoon. Funny how 95 can feel
tolerable after having 100+ temps.

Sherry

Old July 29th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
ps.com...

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

I was at the park tonight, and people were coming out to walk and play. Its
been deserted all week. It was like seeing people come out after a storm.
Everyone out connecting and talking to each other, kids on skateboards and
bikes. Really nice to be out.

Jo

Old July 29th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy

I'm in CA, too: it got to 115 where I live. I almost passed out from the
heat one day -- I think I let myself get dehydrated. Here's an article
about heat-related happenings at an outdoor concert at the Concord Pavilion.

http://kcbs.com/pages/60079.php

I'm sure glad I didn't go!

Sandy

Old July 29th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie Cook

"Sandy" wrote in message
.com...
I'm in CA, too: it got to 115 where I live. I almost passed out from the
heat one day -- I think I let myself get dehydrated. Here's an article
about heat-related happenings at an outdoor concert at the Concord
Pavilion.

http://kcbs.com/pages/60079.php

I'm sure glad I didn't go!

Sandy

I am glad to hear that the heat wave is easing up some. I think you always
expect some heat related deaths in the summer, especially the elderly and
infirm that just can't tolerate the heat but 139 is just so very sad! We've
experienced extreme heat in the south as well (although not 115) and
drought...I'd settle for a good, old fashioned rainy day rather than a
short, heat induced thunderstorm.
Sandy and Jo, take care and remember to drink water. The furry ones need
lots of water as well during a heat wave.

Sending cooling purrs your way and gentle headbutts to the families of all
of those who have suffered losses during this time.
Julie, Hobbes, Selena, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old July 29th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

the cost. It is *shameful* that this happens in this country, where we
have the resources to help people.

One of my Blockbuster DVDs was "Why We Fight". Try to see this movie.

Old July 29th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Jo Firey" wrote

I was at the park tonight, and people were coming out to walk and play.
Its been deserted all week. It was like seeing people come out after a
storm. Everyone out connecting and talking to each other, kids on
skateboards and bikes. Really nice to be out.

I went for a bike ride this evening too. First time it's been less than
deathly hot in a few weeks' time. I felt almost human again.

Heat wave in US Ann Cat anecdotes 65 July 19th 06 09:52 PM
Heat wave CATherine Cat anecdotes 15 July 22nd 05 06:02 AM
Heat Wave Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 43 July 15th 04 07:42 AM
question: is my cat in heat? RW Cat health & behaviour 12 February 4th 04 03:23 PM