I don't wanna . . .

Old January 22nd 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default I don't wanna . . .

But I have to. I'm sick, it's freezing cold out there, we had several
inches of snow today, but there is a big pile of bags containing used
cat litter that are gonna HAVE to go NOW.

Sniffle, sniffle, sigh, sigh. What I don't do for these furry ones (and
my neighbors!).

Ginger-lyn
Getting up the energy to run to the trash and wishing cat litter was
worth its weight in gold.
Old January 22nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Ginger-lyn wrote:
But I have to. I'm sick, it's freezing cold out there, we had several
inches of snow today, but there is a big pile of bags containing used
cat litter that are gonna HAVE to go NOW.

Sniffle, sniffle, sigh, sigh. What I don't do for these furry ones
(and my neighbors!).

Ginger-lyn
Getting up the energy to run to the trash and wishing cat litter was
worth its weight in gold.

I wish it was worth its weight in gold, too. We'd all be rich!

kili

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Old January 22nd 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I read that you can put it in the compost bin (minus the poo which you
are supposed to bury, this is in my Green handbook!) - I just can't
face doing it though and the bin men have the delight instead of
picking it up with the other rubbish and re-cycling every Wednesday!

Old January 22nd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

I read that you can put it in the compost bin (minus the poo which you
are supposed to bury, this is in my Green handbook!) - I just can't
face doing it though and the bin men have the delight instead of
picking it up with the other rubbish and re-cycling every Wednesday!

Is this true of clumping litter as well as the old-fashioned kind?

I'll have to check whether this is true where I live. We have compost
collection every week. They accept yard clippings, kitchen scraps, and
waste paper that has food stains on it. Actually, they accept a lot of
stuff that I would never mix in if I were doing my own backyard composting
for my own garden, such as meat, bones and dairy. I think it's gross, and
I never put that stuff into the compost garbage.

But I'm sure many people do, and the city collects it all, brings it all
to their composting facility, and later they sell it to farmers. And then
the food I eat is grown in it! Who knows what people are throwing into
those bins? I'm sure not everyone is concientious about it.

But I'm going to check if kitty litter is acceptable. I don't remember
anything about that, pro or con, in the information I received from the
city when they started the program.

Joyce
Old January 22nd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
But I have to. I'm sick, it's freezing cold out there, we had several
inches of snow today, but there is a big pile of bags containing used cat
litter that are gonna HAVE to go NOW.

Sniffle, sniffle, sigh, sigh. What I don't do for these furry ones (and
my neighbors!).

Firstly, I hope you will feel a lot better soon, Ginger-lyn. I'm recovering
from the cold from hell too.
Secondly, until KFC got CRF there were no litterboxes in this house. They
had the great outside.
Since her CRF, despite litter boxes upstairs and down there are some piddles
on carpets nearby. She does try to be clean but she can't alway quite
manage it.
Doesn't matter too much really, I went through this with my old dogs and
replaced the carpet. I could do this again for KFC if I had to.
I expect to be incontinent myself if I get to be as old as she is.

Tweed

Old January 22nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Christina Websell wrote:

Firstly, I hope you will feel a lot better soon, Ginger-lyn. I'm recovering
from the cold from hell too.
Secondly, until KFC got CRF there were no litterboxes in this house. They
had the great outside.
Since her CRF, despite litter boxes upstairs and down there are some piddles
on carpets nearby. She does try to be clean but she can't alway quite
manage it.
Doesn't matter too much really, I went through this with my old dogs and
replaced the carpet. I could do this again for KFC if I had to.
I expect to be incontinent myself if I get to be as old as she is.

Tweed

{{{{Tweed}}}}

You feel better soon, too.

Poor KFC. Cosmo is also CRF, but he isn't the one that "misses" --
that's Brando, the former feral, who once blocked, so I have to watch
him like a hawk.

I hope I'm never incontinent -- the idea of having to wear adult diapers
isn't something I look forward to!

Ginger-lyn

Old January 22nd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Nor me. I once went into a nearby warehouse. There was a huge sign that
said "Incontinental Pads - Adult Nappies" !!
Presumably suitable for all over the world ;-) g

Tweed

Old January 23rd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:

I'll have to check whether this is true where I live. We have compost
collection every week. They accept yard clippings, kitchen scraps, and
waste paper that has food stains on it. Actually, they accept a lot of
stuff that I would never mix in if I were doing my own backyard composting
for my own garden, such as meat, bones and dairy. I think it's gross, and
I never put that stuff into the compost garbage.

But I'm sure many people do, and the city collects it all, brings it all
to their composting facility, and later they sell it to farmers. And then
the food I eat is grown in it! Who knows what people are throwing into
those bins? I'm sure not everyone is concientious about it.

But I'm going to check if kitty litter is acceptable. I don't remember
anything about that, pro or con, in the information I received from the
city when they started the program.

I put all the used litter in the compost bin, including poos. I wouldn't
do it with a small compost at home, because kitty pee is fairly strong
stuff, and a small compost might not be able top process it, but I'm
sure the big municipal compost facilities are powerful enough to do so.
I use a plant-based litter, which probably turns into soil quicker than
a clay-based one.

But we do put bones and meat and such in our compost on the island, and
we get fine soil from it.

Stories and pics at
http://koti.welho.com/mkurten/
Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old January 23rd 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

I put all the used litter in the compost bin, including poos.

I would think that composted poop would be rather enriching to soil.

But we do put bones and meat and such in our compost on the island, and
we get fine soil from it.

That's good to know! I still don't want to do it because it would make
my whole house smell gross. I can go two weeks or more not emptying the
little garbage pail I keep in the house, as long as it just contains
things like veggie peelings, apple cores, lemon rinds, etc. I also don't
put onion or garlic in it, unless I'm just about to empty it, because
that'll stink up my house in a day. But with just the non-smelly veggies,
fruit, and grains, it really doesn't smell, and doesn't even get very
spoiled, although eventually it starts growing mold if I wait too long.

Joyce