biting kitten

Old April 30th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lorraine

Default biting kitten

My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?
Old April 30th 09, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"lorraine" wrote in message
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

Say "OW" really loudly and stop playing when he bites. That is how his
litter mates and mom would let him know. Also, play with him with things
other than your hands, like strings, feathers on strings, etc.

Old April 30th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobble[_6_]

"cybercat" wrote in -
september.org:

"lorraine" wrote in message
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

Say "OW" really loudly and stop playing when he bites. That is how his
litter mates and mom would let him know. Also, play with him with things
other than your hands, like strings, feathers on strings, etc.

This advice is perfect, but doesn't work for all kittens unfortunately. I
had one who just had to bite, so I made him a biting mitt which was just an
old t-shirt rolled up tightly. We had to teach him to only bite it and it
worked.

Bobble
Old April 30th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

This advice is perfect, but doesn't work for all kittens unfortunately. *I
had one who just had to bite, so I made him a biting mitt which was just an
old t-shirt rolled up tightly. *We had to teach him to only bite it and it
worked.

While this might work for you, I would not recommend doing this. It's
easy for the kitten to get confused or very playful--and you could get
bitten when you're not expecting it.

I'd stick with the OW or NO very loudly. Let your arm/hand go limp
(pulling it away encourages more biting), and slowly walk away. He'll
soon learn that biting means no more playtime.

Also, do NOT use your hands or toes to play with him. Always use a
toy. If you anticipate being bitten (for instance, if he usually bites
your toes when you walk into the bathroom), take a toy along and throw
it to disrupt the behavior.

Be consistent and make sure everyone the household does this. Your
kitty is at a critical age and is learning what is good manners.

Old April 30th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Bobble" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in -
september.org:

"lorraine" wrote in message
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

Say "OW" really loudly and stop playing when he bites. That is how his
litter mates and mom would let him know. Also, play with him with things
other than your hands, like strings, feathers on strings, etc.

This advice is perfect, but doesn't work for all kittens unfortunately. I
had one who just had to bite, so I made him a biting mitt which was just
an
old t-shirt rolled up tightly. We had to teach him to only bite it and it
worked.

Smart cat!

Old April 30th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 30, 12:22*am, lorraine wrote:
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

You have not mentioned at what age you got your kitten, or whether he
had littermates. You have not mentioned what sort of play brings on
the biting behavior, but a couple of things that may help:

a) If the kitten is grabbing you with his front paws, kicking with his
back paws and then biting, this is how kittens play with each other.
Littermates rapidly learn when they have gone too far, but your kitten
is learning with you - his latest littermate. You have a couple of
choices given that this is 100% normal. You can pull away (gently) as
others suggest and say NO. Or, you can wear an oven mitt or play
through a blanket or some such until the kitten is tired. Although the
first option is valid, generally, I suggest the latter as although
most cats will outgrow this stage all-too-soon, it is excellent
bonding play as long as it lasts. See b).

b) The kitten is teething as well - so biting and chewing is fairly
normal. Spontaneous biting is not - kitten leans over and just bites -
without the grasping and kicking *OR* without encouragement from you.
Kittens that have spent too much time isolated in cages without
sufficient space to play and/or mixed in with non-littermates often
develop displacement behavior that shows as biting. Depending on the
previous conditions, this behavior may never entirely go away. Our
Maine Coon (unhappily) spent his first 8 weeks in the 3 x 5 cage he
was born in, and kept with non-littermates. Now over 12 years later,
his primary defense under stress is to bite. He has learned not to
bite hard, but the behavior remains despite his saucer-sized, well-
equipped paw & claws. On the other hand, he is absolutely wonderful
with the grandkids (and any children in general) allowing all sorts of
abuses that would earn stitches or worse if from an adult. He also
uses his claws to discipline and discourage the puppy and his
companion-cat - so his biting is specific to people, and amongst
people to adults.

We have observed such displacement behavior in other cats with such a
background, and our vet describes it as quite common. It can be
tempered over time but will typically come back if the cat is under
stress.

I hope it is just normal play - and if so, the more you play with your
cat, the more it can let it all out around you, the stronger the bond
will be. And it will get over it. Note that male cats are generally
much rougher at play than females, and generally are more playful
longer. Generally, not always.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old April 30th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 29, 9:22�pm, lorraine wrote:
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

I blew in my kittens faces while yelling "no". Worked like a charm.
Old May 1st 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Apr 30, 5:22*am, lorraine wrote:
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

Is there any chance that your kitten is carrying any Birman in it's
lineage?
The reason I ask is because Birmans do actually give you love- nips &
are well known for this trait.
Whilst it is very reassuring to know that your cat Love's you dearly,
it can be a bit of a pain when they show you just how much they do in
fact love you. Especially if you have young children to consider?

I agree with the other posters who have given very good advice. I find
that a handy jar full of marbles is wonderful for this purpose. By the
time the kitten realises where the sound came from, they have stopped
biting, forgotten why, & start considering how to avoid the dreadful
noise in the future instead.
Dangling Toy's are excellent for bonding & taking their mind of
biting, & focusing on bonding rather than nipping you.

Best of luck,

Silknsox "o"
Old May 1st 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sheelagh"o"" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 5:22 am, lorraine wrote:
My 3 month old kitten loves to bite. Sometimes it hurts! I'm worried
he'll carry on this behavior till he's an adult! Any advice?

Is there any chance that your kitten is carrying any Birman in it's

Sheelagh, nice to see you back! Cindy had me worried about you.