Harriet is back at work, with problems

Old September 28th 05, 04:08 PM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Harriet is back at work, with problems

I brought Harriet back to work yesterday, since she had pooped 5 times
over the previous week. She was happy to be back and checked out all of
her usual spots.

Stinky, however, is NOT glad that Harriet is back. She was hissing at
her as soon as she saw Harriet. Stinky *never* hisses so it's very
odd. Tuesday afternoon I was in the kitchen and heard someone yelling
and I heard lots of cat yowling. Stinky & Harriet came racing around
the corner and down the next aisle. Harriet was MAD as hell, all
puffed up. I thought maybe Stinky had jumped on her, as she likes to
do(to play, although it's obvious she's not in a playful mood now) but
my co-worker said that Harriet attacked her (co-worker) first, before
whatever happened between Stinky & Harriet. After that, Harriet tried
to kill everyone she saw. She leapt at another co-worker who just
sorta yelled something and that was it. But Harriet really went after
another kid, this time jumping up at him and not just sticking to the
ankles/feet. Once Harriet gets mad, she can stay mad for a long time.

She spent most of the afternoon locked in my office or a co-workers.
At one point she got out of the other office and tried to attack again.
By 6:00pm she was calming down and I let her roam for awhile, but I
followed her around. I brought her back to my office for awhile but
she slipped out again when the door opened. Two of the people she had
attacked had already gone home so I let her free, and told the workers
upstairs to keep an eye on her. She was fine after that, and I left
about 10 minutes before the store closed at 8pm.

Today she seems normal, but Stinky is still hissing at her. Harriet
has not been hissing at Stinky, unless Stinky starts it first. Stinky
knows what my cats smell like, since their scent is all over me and I
pick Stinky up every day. I don't know why she's acting this way.
Harriet was in my apartment for 9 days, the longest she's been away.
When I had her for just 2-3 days at a time, Stinky didn't react that
way when Harriet was brought back.

I hope Harriet can last until the end of the week at work, because my
two cats at home are enjoying being able to come in my bedroom whenever
they want. Harriet likes being able to roam around & explore here at
work.

--
Liz

Old September 29th 05, 07:23 AM
Candace

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

Today she seems normal, but Stinky is still hissing at her. Harriet
has not been hissing at Stinky, unless Stinky starts it first. Stinky
knows what my cats smell like, since their scent is all over me and I
pick Stinky up every day. I don't know why she's acting this way.
Harriet was in my apartment for 9 days, the longest she's been away.
When I had her for just 2-3 days at a time, Stinky didn't react that
way when Harriet was brought back.

I hope Harriet can last until the end of the week at work, because my
two cats at home are enjoying being able to come in my bedroom whenever
they want. Harriet likes being able to roam around & explore here at
work.

Sounds like an intro between 2 cats who don't know each other. I don't
know if 9 days makes it seem like they're new to each other now. Cats
are bizarre, who knows what goes on in their minds. Maybe Stinky
enjoyed being the only cat at the store...

Candace

Old September 29th 05, 07:39 AM
-L.

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
I brought Harriet back to work yesterday, since she had pooped 5 times
over the previous week. She was happy to be back and checked out all of
her usual spots.

Harriet just stinks to Stinky - she smells different. A couple days
and they should be back to normal.

-L.

Old September 29th 05, 01:19 PM
Phil P.

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
oups.com...
I brought Harriet back to work yesterday, since she had pooped 5 times
over the previous week.

It seems like the higher lactulose dose is working! ;-) The flavoring is
allowing her to receive the entire dose.

She was happy to be back and checked out all of
her usual spots.

Yup. She wants to make sure everything is exactly the way she left it.

Stinky, however, is NOT glad that Harriet is back. She was hissing at
her as soon as she saw Harriet. Stinky *never* hisses so it's very
odd.

Its not unusual for two cats that live together to hiss or even fight when
one has been away. Stinky is detecting the scents of your other cats that
Harriet picked up while in your home. Put a sock over your hand and rub
Stinky down real good- especially around the mouth and cheeks- those areas
are rich in sebaceous glands. Do the same with Harriet then rub down both
cats with other cat's sock. Some people put a little dab of vanilla extract
on the scruff of both cats so they smell the same to each other until they
reestablish their relationship.

Tuesday afternoon I was in the kitchen and heard someone yelling
and I heard lots of cat yowling. Stinky & Harriet came racing around
the corner and down the next aisle. Harriet was MAD as hell, all
puffed up. I thought maybe Stinky had jumped on her, as she likes to
do(to play, although it's obvious she's not in a playful mood now) but
my co-worker said that Harriet attacked her (co-worker) first, before
whatever happened between Stinky & Harriet. After that, Harriet tried
to kill everyone she saw. She leapt at another co-worker who just
sorta yelled something and that was it. But Harriet really went after
another kid, this time jumping up at him and not just sticking to the
ankles/feet. Once Harriet gets mad, she can stay mad for a long time.

This is probably redirected aggression. The best thing to do in this case
is leave her alone until she calms down-- could take a few minutes or a few
hours. If you have to get her off someone or Stinky, throw a thick jacket
or blanket over her otherwise a cat in this state could really hurt you. I
use bite-proof kevlar gloves with ferals but they cost $150, but you can get
a good pair of long welding or electrical gloves for about $15-$20 to keep
handy in case of an emergency that should provide enough protection. Just
don't use gloves unless its absolutely necessary- they can damage the
cat-human relationship if they're used too much.

http://www.maxshouse.com/instruments...cal_gloves.jpg

[...]

Harriet was probably never gone for so long-- she's almost like a new cat.
You may have to reintroduce her like you would introduce a new cat -- which
is probably a good idea.

I hope Harriet can last until the end of the week at work, because my
two cats at home are enjoying being able to come in my bedroom whenever
they want. Harriet likes being able to roam around & explore here at
work.

Sure- the store is her turf. I really think you should keep them separated
for awhile and gradually reintroduce them- otherwise they could do permanent
damage to their relationship that could make living together in the store
impossible.

I'm glad she's finally pooping fairly regularly!

Phil

Old September 30th 05, 03:42 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
oups.com...
I brought Harriet back to work yesterday, since she had pooped 5 times
over the previous week.

It seems like the higher lactulose dose is working! ;-) The flavoring is
allowing her to receive the entire dose.

Yes, but now she hasn't gone since she's been back. She also isn't eating
much, although she'd be willing to eat treats until she exploded if we let
her. I'm going to bring her back home with me tomorrow (Friday). I would
have taken her today but I had to go somewhere after work. But as far as
the Lactulose goes, it's pretty much going inside her and not on me or her
fur. I had to cut clumps of fur out from around her neck and even her head
because she was coated in the stuff.

Stinky, however, is NOT glad that Harriet is back. She was hissing at
her as soon as she saw Harriet. Stinky *never* hisses so it's very
odd.

Its not unusual for two cats that live together to hiss or even fight when
one has been away. Stinky is detecting the scents of your other cats that
Harriet picked up while in your home. Put a sock over your hand and rub
Stinky down real good- especially around the mouth and cheeks- those areas
are rich in sebaceous glands. Do the same with Harriet then rub down both
cats with other cat's sock. Some people put a little dab of vanilla
extract
on the scruff of both cats so they smell the same to each other until they
reestablish their relationship.

They were much better today. Stinky did start with her around 5:00, but I
was getting their dinner ready and Stinky might have just been trying to get
rid of the competition. I noticed that Stinky was sniffing Harriet's butt
any time she could get close enough. I'm just really surprised at Stinky
because she's such a sweetheart. Neurotic and often insane, but very sweet.

This is probably redirected aggression. The best thing to do in this case
is leave her alone until she calms down-- could take a few minutes or a
few
hours. If you have to get her off someone or Stinky, throw a thick jacket
or blanket over her otherwise a cat in this state could really hurt you.
use bite-proof kevlar gloves with ferals but they cost $150, but you can
get
a good pair of long welding or electrical gloves for about $15-$20 to keep
handy in case of an emergency that should provide enough protection.
Just
don't use gloves unless its absolutely necessary- they can damage the
cat-human relationship if they're used too much.

I found out that it didn't start with a fight between the cats. The
employee said that Harriet was rubbing around her ankles and she bent down
to pet her head, and then Harriet attacked. I have no problem jyst sticking
my bare hands in and pulling her out. Even when the two cats fight, it
never lasts more than a couple of seconds. Stinky will usually run away to
her safe area with Harriet in pursuit, ****ed off that she can't get at
Stinky. I've picked her up (to remove her from an area) plenty of times
when she's really mad. She'll often twist around to try to bite me but she
doesn't try too hard and she hasn't gotten me yet.

Harriet was probably never gone for so long-- she's almost like a new cat.
You may have to reintroduce her like you would introduce a new cat --
which
is probably a good idea.

The hard thing about work is there are very few places with doors. And the
three offices that do have doors are constantly being opened & closed by
various people coming & going, and she'll escape. Things seemed pretty
normal betweem today except for that one late hissing incident from Stinky.
At my apartment, even when Otto & Harriet would hiss at each other they
never made a move like they'd attack. If Harriet is mad at Stinky, she'll
try to kill her. Harriet has smacked my guys a few times if she thought
they were too close.

I'm glad she's finally pooping fairly regularly!

Phil

I'm hoping I don't need to use one of those enemas tomorrow! The vet said
if she doesn't go for 3 days, I should. She went Monday night (actually
very early Tuesday morning, 1:00am or so) so if the box is empty tomorrow I
might have to use the enema. I just don't know if there's any place we can
put her while it's working. One of my bosses had some huge dog cages and I
keep meaning to ask him to bring one or both of them in. He's got 2 yellow
labs, so the cages are very big and he hasn't used them in years.

I also ordered a sizable cat tree/condo that has a bunch of levels, and it
should be delivered to work tomorrow, but might not come until late. I'm
hoping that will occupy Harriet and keep her from just roaming around. She
likes to be on top of counters, or on top of my printer which is on a metal
computer rack. If there are stacks of boxes (of books) around she'll get on
top of those.

--
Liz

Old September 30th 05, 03:44 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like an intro between 2 cats who don't know each other. I don't
know if 9 days makes it seem like they're new to each other now. Cats
are bizarre, who knows what goes on in their minds. Maybe Stinky
enjoyed being the only cat at the store...

Candace

Stinky had gotten extra needy while Harriet was away and I thought she'd be
glad to have her back. Even though they never really got along, Stinky did
enjoy jumping on her and starting a chase. I'm sure it was weird for her at
night, being the only living thing in the store. Plus, there were always
leftovers for Stinky when Harriet walked away from her bowl.

--
Liz

Harriet update, back in the hospital Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 45 September 27th 05 03:41 AM
New dog - some advice needed [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 September 16th 05 12:12 PM
Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
Harriet is back in the hospital Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 19 August 25th 05 11:57 AM