Revolution for cats

Old January 26th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Revolution for cats

The new vet thinks the cats should be on Revolution instead of
FrontlinePlus and Interceptor. It would certainly be simpler and less
expensive, but I hate to fix something that isn't broken. The vet only
suggested this because Revolution covers ear mites. This doesn't concern
me since they are indoor only and have never had them.

That said, I'm still willing to look into Revolution. Anyone here use it?
What are your experiences with it--good, bad or neutral?

--
Lynne
Old January 26th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Lynne" wrote in message
The new vet thinks the cats should be on Revolution instead of
FrontlinePlus and Interceptor. It would certainly be simpler and less
expensive, but I hate to fix something that isn't broken. The vet only
suggested this because Revolution covers ear mites. This doesn't concern
me since they are indoor only and have never had them.

That said, I'm still willing to look into Revolution. Anyone here use it?
What are your experiences with it--good, bad or neutral?

--------------
Yes, my vet used it on my cats when our new foster turned out to have fleas.
Quick and easy. Snip off the tip of the tube. Rub it on the cat's skin
between the shoulder blades. No more fleas.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 26th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Lynne" wrote in message
The new vet thinks the cats should be on Revolution instead of
FrontlinePlus and Interceptor. It would certainly be simpler and less
expensive, but I hate to fix something that isn't broken. The vet only
suggested this because Revolution covers ear mites. This doesn't concern
me since they are indoor only and have never had them.

That said, I'm still willing to look into Revolution. Anyone here use it?
What are your experiences with it--good, bad or neutral?

--
Lynne

Revolution is one of the most frequently-recommended flea pareparations,
largely because of what you were told. However, I used it on only one
occasion and would *never* use it again. First, I used it on Holly. It
annoyed her, but I discounted that because she really doe not like to have
*any* medication. Then, I put it on poor Duffy. As soon as the Frontline
was applied, he jumped straight up in the air and began to run in circles in
full speed. He was in total panic, and I was also in a panic because Duffy
is blind and I was afraid he would run head-on into something and injure
himself. He actually did hit the wall or furniture a few times before I
could grab him because he was running at such a high rate of speed that I
couldn't get to him. It is very unusual for Duffy to become disoriented or
hit something, but he was so stressed-out and frightened that he obviously
didn't know what he was doing. I took the remaining doses back to the vet
and asked about the reaction. I was told that his reaction was extremely
rare, but they has had other reports to a much lighter extent. They
*guessed* that it might have felt extremely cold to the cats and startled
them.

I have not needed to use any flea preparation more than a few times, but I
used Advantage on every other occasion and have never had any problems with
it. I know my experience is unusual, but it is something you might want to
consider or ask your vet about.

MaryL

Old January 26th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:54:59 GMT, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Revolution is one of the most frequently-recommended flea
pareparations, largely because of what you were told. However, I used
it on only one occasion and would *never* use it again. First, I used
it on Holly. It annoyed her, but I discounted that because she really
doe not like to have *any* medication. Then, I put it on poor Duffy.
As soon as the Frontline was applied, he jumped straight up in the air
and began to run in circles in full speed.

I'm confused, was it Revolution or Frontline? (You say both above.)

That sounds like a horrible reaction, poor Duffy! But please do let me
know which it was.

The thing about Revolution is that it's more than just a flea treatment.
It's also a heartworm and intestinal worm treatment. I give my cats
Interceptor for heartworm and intestinal worms, every month along with
their Frontline for fleas, but giving them one treatment instead of two is
appealing. Though the reaction Duffy had, if it was indeed Revolution, is
pretty awful and concerns me.

--
Lynne
Old January 26th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

m...
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

Sorry...I think I have done that before, for some reason. It was Revolution
that I used. I also had Frontline in mind because that is the 3rd product
that I most often see mentioned. I kept the bill from that occasion just so
I could always be sure of what I used. I re-checked just now, and it was
Revolution (Blue Package for cats 5.1 to 15 lb.). I have never used
Frontline (and rarely need any flea preparation because my two are indoor
only).

Thanks for pointing out the error.

MaryL

MaryL

Old January 26th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Lynne" wrote in message
[...]

---------
I'm wondering if it was the smell. Amanda, my calico, who tends to be
skittish in general was not the least bit happy about the application of the
Revolution (although her reaction was not as extreme as Duffy's). Many years
ago, some of my perfume accidently got on Molly, and she went crazy for
several minutes. Recently, our foster unfortunately got a little too close
to our dinner candles and singed the tips of his whiskers and a small patch
of fur (fortunately, he didn't get burned, but it was still terrifying). The
smell of the singed fur was bad. He went bonkers, chasing and attacking the
other cats for several minutes. I'm wondering if Duffy was taken by
surprise, reacted to the smell, and then his blindness may have exacerbated
the situation.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 26th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:51:37 GMT, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-
LITTER wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the error.

Mary, thank you for clarifying. I really appreciate it. I'm going to do
some research before I change anything. The thought of your sweet Duffy
going nuts like that is very alarming.

My cats are indoor cats, too, but my dog goes outside of course. Even
though she gets Frontline, I've seen fleas on the cats on occasion, so they
get it, too, just not as often. They do get the heartworm/intestinal worm
preventative monthly, though, year round. Worms creep me out.

--
Lynne
Old January 26th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:53:22 GMT, "cindys"
wrote:

Recently, our foster unfortunately got a little too close
to our dinner candles and singed the tips of his whiskers and a small
patch of fur (fortunately, he didn't get burned, but it was still
terrifying).

That happened to Rudy last year, but he only burned his whiskers. A couple
of his whiskers are still a bit frayed on the ends. Now candles are high
on the mantle (but only until Levi figures out how to get up there, and I
know he will...).

The smell of the singed fur was bad. He went bonkers,
chasing and attacking the other cats for several minutes. I'm
wondering if Duffy was taken by surprise, reacted to the smell, and
then his blindness may have exacerbated the situation.

That's a very good point. The smell along with the feel of it may have
frightened him that badly. Poor thing. My cats don't like the Frontline,
but they know what I'm doing before I do it, so they grin and bear it.
Duffy didn't have any idea, so that might explain it.

--
Lynne
Old January 26th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Lynne" wrote in message
The new vet thinks the cats should be on Revolution instead of
FrontlinePlus and Interceptor. It would certainly be simpler and
less
expensive, but I hate to fix something that isn't broken. The vet
only
suggested this because Revolution covers ear mites. This doesn't
concern
me since they are indoor only and have never had them.

That said, I'm still willing to look into Revolution. Anyone here
use it?
What are your experiences with it--good, bad or neutral?

--
Lynne

5 or 6 years ago my vet recommended Revolution.
I've used the kitten version on kittens with no
problems, and the adult version on all my adult and
senior cats, including one 18 year old. Several of
the cats go outdoors for brief periods under
supervision, but that's enough exposure that I prefer
the more comprehensive treatment of Revolution.

Gail F.

Old January 26th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"Lynne" wrote in message
The new vet thinks the cats should be on Revolution instead of
FrontlinePlus and Interceptor. It would certainly be simpler and less
expensive, but I hate to fix something that isn't broken. The vet only
suggested this because Revolution covers ear mites. This doesn't concern
me since they are indoor only and have never had them.

That said, I'm still willing to look into Revolution. Anyone here use it?
What are your experiences with it--good, bad or neutral?

--
Lynne

We live in an area that has heartworms and fleas. We used to use Advantage
for fleas and Heartgard for heartworms. Advantage is drops that are applied
to between the shoulder blades and Heartgard is a rather large tablet that
they are supposed to eat. I had to break the Heartgard apart and put it in
their food, but they didn't like it and I had a hard time convincing them to
eat it. Both are administered once a month.

Heartworm protection is recommended, even for indoor cats because mosquitoes
do come inside.

I was happy to switch them to Revolution because it is applied the same as
Advantage and also protects against heartworms, as well as other parasites.

The cats don't like it about the same as they don't like Advantage. But,
neither has had a bad reaction except to run away after it is applied. We
have to sneak up on them because they know when we open the little vial. I
suspect there are some sort of fumes or odor that tips them off.

Apparently, the heartworm protection is important now, even in areas not
associated with it. When we were visiting relatives in Washington State, we
saw an article in the local paper that heartworm had been diagnosed for the
first time in the area, and the pets had not been to heartworm infested
areas. The vet interviewed thought that pets that were rescued because of
Hurricane Katrina brought it with them and local mosquitoes bit those pets
and passed it on to local pets.

Who knows?

Hope this helps.

Annie