Cat with 6 legs and a gremlin cat

Old April 3rd 05, 02:32 AM
Mary

"FD701" wrote in message
k...

"Mary" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralization.
The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
grew up outdoors.

Every cat I have ever had (three as an adult) had grown up as strays.
Not one had any problem becoming indoor cats. In fact they seemed
relieved to be safe.

I bet those cats were relieved to be safe, but the world out there isnt

half
as dangerous as you would like to believe. I have had 2 cats and both
are/were allowed to go outside. They do absolutley fine.

Right so your point seems to be that the cats are safe until you have
had the experience of finding them with their guts all over the pavement.
Once you do you know that the "world out there" is indeed very
dangerous.

Old April 7th 05, 06:19 PM
Shadow Walker

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralisation.

ok, I am only stating what is true for my area. No shelters here adopt to
outside homes. You have to sign a contract that the animal is not to be used
as a barn cat and varies other things. If the animal doesn't work out you
have to bring it back.

The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
grew up outdoors. It may have been handled under light sedation for
photos.

I have only run into one cat that was unsuited for *my* house and I placed
her in a suitable indoor only home. She didn't like it here and I had her
since she was 8 weeks old. What does sedation have to do with anything? If
you mean the cat might be wild then the cat should not be adopted out until
it is tamed. Look there are people born with extra appendages and they do
not always cut them off unless they hamper daily life. This cat looks mostly
grown and has not had a problem and should be allowed to keep all of its
limbs. If you have a cat you should child proof your home. Children do just
about the same damage as cats. So if you have things kids can get tangled in
then cats can get tangled in them as well. I'm sorry I baby-sit and have my
own child and I had to childproof from the ground up. Children don't just
stay on the ground they climb to.

Even in the paranoid USA, there's a growing realisaiton that
realise that cats need outdoor access in order to avoid behavioural
problems or that some cats are temperamentally unsuited to indoor
living and need to go somewhere that outdoor access can be provided.

No it doesn't have to be provided. That's a personal decision. I have had
cats that were indoor outdoor and none are here today. I had 1 that made it
to 8 years old and was killed by my neighbor who hit her with his truck. I
have cats now and all three are indoor only and they are happy.

Indoor cats can get caught climbing curtains, soft furnishings, blinds
and even carpeted stairs.

So does that mean we should remove their legs? Childproof !

it could end up with someone who seemed nice
enough, but who then turned the cat into a media sideshow. You've
also overlooked the theft aspect - people like to make money out of
exhibiting unusual animals or simply owning an anomaly and there are
plenty of cases of unusual cats being stolen and when tracked down, the
animal was simply poisoned (cases on record for winged cats).

If it
needs to end up as a barn cat, the risk of theft or media circus is
even greater.

No, if you show the cat as a media side show its a breach of contract. It
will get back to the SPCA and the animal will be removed. As for theft If
it's kept indoors someone would have to break into the house to get it.

Shadow Walker