Hind legs don't work

Old March 17th 05, 03:16 AM
RD

Default Hind legs don't work

Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

Thanks

Bob
Old March 17th 05, 03:16 AM
KellyH

"RD" wrote in message
Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When
walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump
anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction
from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He
walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

Get him to the vet ASAP. Could be a couple different things, none good.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 17th 05, 03:26 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"RD" wrote in message
Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When

walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump

anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction

from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He

walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

Thanks

Bob

I don't know, but please take him to a vet & find out.

Cathy

Old March 17th 05, 03:33 AM
Mary

"RD" wrote in message
Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When

walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump

anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction

from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He

walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

It never occurred to you to see a vet? What gives?

Old March 17th 05, 05:53 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:16:07 -0500, RD wrote:

Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

Thanks

Bob

Two weeks ago and you are just now wondering? He obviously has been hurt
or ill. See TED.

Old March 17th 05, 12:17 PM
Joe Canuck

RD wrote:

Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

Thanks

Bob

Vet, ASAP!

Why why why... is it you people consistently come here for solutions to
issues that are obviously medical issues and need treatment by
professionals?

If there was a group called... humans.babies.health+behav ... we'd
probadly get the same kid of idiotic posts.

shaking head
Old March 17th 05, 03:24 PM
Phil P.

"RD" wrote in message
Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When

walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump

anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction

from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He

walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

What gives?

Your cat needs to see a vet.... *2 weeks* ago. He needs bloodwork to rule
out hypokalenic myopathy and x-rays and/or ultrasounds to rule out heart
disease. Are his hind paws cools or nail beds bluish?

Get him to a vet *immediately* - if not sooner.

The next time you notice *any* abnormality, don't delay in taking him to a
vet.

Old March 21st 05, 04:36 AM
Robert \Doc\ Coleman

In article ,
RD wrote:

Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When
walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump
anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction
from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He
walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

We lost a cat to these same symptoms last year. At first the vet
thought it was a case of bad knees. It turned out that he had a tumor
wrapped around his spinal cord. We had the tumor removed, but it was
too late. Too much damage had been done by the time we got a proper
diagnosis. We had to get an MRI done in order to diagnose it properly.

Doc
--
Just a guy with his own opinions.
"I only know everything when you ask the right questions."

My use of this E-mail address does NOT constitute permission for anyone
to send me advertisements. Any unsolicited advertisements received will
be deemed an act of harassment and reported to the appropriate
authorities.
Old March 23rd 05, 02:06 AM
CATherine

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:36:18 -0500, "Robert \"Doc\" Coleman"
wrote:

In article ,
RD wrote:

Came home about two weeks ago and found my cat walking strangely. When
walking, his hind
legs keep shifting from side to side like a skater. Also he can't jump
anymore. I've
examined him, squeezed and groped his legs, his back and paws, no reaction
from him.
Besides that he behaves like an ordinary cat, eats sleeps and purrs. He
walks a short
distance, stops, starts again.

We lost a cat to these same symptoms last year. At first the vet
thought it was a case of bad knees. It turned out that he had a tumor
wrapped around his spinal cord. We had the tumor removed, but it was
too late. Too much damage had been done by the time we got a proper
diagnosis. We had to get an MRI done in order to diagnose it properly.

Doc

Wobbly walking could also be a symptom of diabetes. Has his blod
glucose been tested?

--
CATherine

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 November 28th 04 05:16 AM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
Meowmie's legs Shamrock Cat anecdotes 4 September 2nd 04 02:36 PM
My cat walks on its hind legs Mark Werner Cat anecdotes 90 August 24th 04 03:25 AM
Hairless back legs - biting Jim Witte Cat health & behaviour 6 January 20th 04 05:17 AM