2 cats need home for 6 months

Old September 2nd 03, 12:03 AM
Mogie

That depends on the catteries.
oldmolly wrote in message

"John Moran" wrote in message
Very helpful thank you

If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
asked for them.

In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.

In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable

paradise
for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the

best
of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing

in
the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having

come back with me :0(
Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
What is grim about either of them?
I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

---

Old September 2nd 03, 03:37 AM
Agua Girl

"Mogie" wrote in message
That's great doing it out of the goodness of your heart but since he
obviously doesn't know anyone that will do that how sure can he what type

of
person he'll end up with.

True...but asking people in a newsgroup dedicated to cats isn't the same
as asking strangers on the street. He may not "know" us but he knows we
care about our cats.

You had friends pet sit. He doesn't know anyone that is willing. Asking
strangers. Could be very scary.

See above. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet :-). I have
met up with people in other newsgroups..even shared a condo with a
bunch of them.

Also worry about the cats bonding to the "sitter".

That's a real concern. I took care of my sisters cat for over a year
while she was having financial problems. When she was back on her
feet, she wanted her cat back. Naturally I had to oblige and to be
honest..the cat remembered her and was fine with it. I however
missed the cat terribly.
I just think it's best not to judge people to harshly. If he was looking
for a good vet to declaw his cat that's one thing..but he's just looking
for help. He could be like many others and dump the cats since they
are now a "problem"....but he's trying to find a good place for them to
stay. Not really a hanging offense in my book.

AG
Agua Girl wrote in message
news

"Mogie" wrote in message
Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you

want
watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good

home
for them.

I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
Think about the difference between someone doing something
out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)

AG

Old September 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
AWriteny

unbelievably, (hahaha)
writes

...asking people in a newsgroup dedicated to cats isn't the same
as asking strangers on the street. He may not "know" us but he knows we

care about our cats.

Have you been living on Mars? The number of trolls, in any/every newsgroup,
shows that there are a significant number of troubled people who have NO
interest in the subject of the newsgroup. They do, however, have a sick need to
TROLL and post responses designed to start a flame war. Also, just because a
person writes that he/she is male/female,
old/young, animal lover/psychopath, employed/not working, etc...doesn't mean
that it's the truth.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:18 AM
Jean H

Ithink eitheprofetionals would be better or someone from this
programme I had someone to live in when I went to England
for 6 weekswho already professed to love my cat, and was a friend.
I gave instructions verbally, and also left them on the the fridge in
writing
especially about not letting him out too early when still dark as possums
had already attacked him once, also left him lots of fresh chicken I cut up
ready and put in separate one for every night I was away, tins galore,
5 big packets of dry food, when I returned half the food was still there
and he'd gone from 9point 3 kilos to 8 kl also she'd let him out at 4 a m
every morning and it cost 2oo dollars to have his back fixed up where a
possum
had got to him I'm still fuming 6 yrs later,about the possum not the money
she wanted to stay in the house but
couldn;t be bothered looking after him properly, never again! jp
James" wrote in message
John Moran wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away.

John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.

There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
have other cats around.
--
James