Phil P - what you recommend from Purina

Old September 20th 05, 08:16 PM

Default Phil P - what you recommend from Purina

Phil P, what do you recommend for a dry food from Purina?
I got a free coupon after I pointed out the mistakes in what
info they were giving out over the phone. I think they give
free coupons often.

In any case, the cat is female, 6, no known problems except
meowing near the 'frig.

She weighs a little over 10 pounds and I consider that too much
although she does not feel fat and has a waistline.

But, she has a pouch and I doubt it's the fighting pouch-type.

I would suspect her weight should ideally be under 8 pounds so
I'm reducing her gently. At 2 her weight was 7.5 pounds but
a foster free-fed her. Nice people. Not overly bright.

Does Purina have a good dry food? I usually feed Science Diet
Light and a little Oral Care. I was thinking of Purina One
or something like that. I am feeding her wet food also and
that seems to firm her up and help her calm her appetite.

Any suggestions?

Old September 20th 05, 08:29 PM
Kiran

" wrote:

: Phil P, what do you recommend for a dry food from Purina?
: I got a free coupon..

I am not Phil, and would look forward to reading his advice, but
Purina's best brand is supposed to be Pro Plan. I think the next is
Purina One. Both are good, but with a free coupon why not go for the
very best?
Old September 20th 05, 08:31 PM
cybercat

"Kiran" wrote in message
" wrote:

: Phil P, what do you recommend for a dry food from Purina?
: I got a free coupon..

I am not Phil, and would look forward to reading his advice, but
Purina's best brand is supposed to be Pro Plan. I think the next is
Purina One. Both are good, but with a free coupon why not go for the
very best?

I was going to say, I use Purina One because my kitty loves it.
So I would love to hear what Phil thinks about it.

Old September 20th 05, 09:08 PM
Kiran

cybercat wrote:

: I was going to say, I use Purina One because my kitty loves it.

OK, that is a strong case for Purina One. :-)

: So I would love to hear what Phil thinks about it.

Gosh, I have learned so much from Phil's posts that I can almost act as
his unauthorized spokesperson. He has specifically recommended
Purina One Chicken and Rice Formula in some of his posts.
Old September 20th 05, 09:35 PM
cybercat

"Kiran" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

: I was going to say, I use Purina One because my kitty loves it.

OK, that is a strong case for Purina One. :-)

But every creature is different. Her sister will not touch
that but adores Iams diet hairball food, which she can no
longer have.

: So I would love to hear what Phil thinks about it.

Gosh, I have learned so much from Phil's posts that I can almost act as
his unauthorized spokesperson. He has specifically recommended
Purina One Chicken and Rice Formula in some of his posts.

Oh good. But--my kitty only scarfs down the tuna and salmon.
I wonder what the difference is in nutrition?

Old September 21st 05, 12:06 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Purina One Chicken & Rice and DM.

Phil

Old September 21st 05, 02:53 PM
AlexZ

Phil P. wrote:

Purina One Chicken & Rice and DM.

What is DM?
Old September 21st 05, 03:18 PM

DM Dietary Management
apparently a diabetic food, so probably by prescription

Clinical Nutrition Management DM Prescription Stuff?

Traditionally, veterinary diets for diabetic cats have followed canine
models and have been formulated to be high in complex carbohydrates and
fiber to help slow the absorption of glucose, a method that works well
with diabetic dogs. Cats, however, are carnivores and have much higher
requirements for protein compared to dogs. In addition, cats lack
glucokinase, the enzyme used by most mammals to clear glucose from the
bloodstream. They rely on a less efficient enzyme to metabolize
carbohydrates and clear glucose, which can be a particular disadvantage
for diabetic cats.

"CNM DM-Formula was developed as a result of collaborations between
scientists at Purina and Heska Corporation, and incorporates Purina's
research in proteins and understanding of the feline metabolism," said
Dottie Laflamme, DVM, Ph.D., a research fellow at Ralston Purina
Company. "The DM-Formula diet capitalizes on the cat's efficient
mechanism for protein breakdown, while reducing the reliance on its
less-efficient carbohydrate metabolism."

Old September 21st 05, 05:40 PM
Alison

wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil P, what do you recommend for a dry food from Purina?
I got a free coupon after I pointed out the mistakes in what
info they were giving out over the phone. I think they give
free coupons often.

In any case, the cat is female, 6, no known problems except
meowing near the 'frig.

She weighs a little over 10 pounds and I consider that too much
although she does not feel fat and has a waistline.

But, she has a pouch and I doubt it's the fighting pouch-type.

Perhaps you should check with your vet what her ideal weight should
be
or if there is another reason she has a pouch.
Her shape sounds the same as my cat Kim who is 6 . Her weight is just
under 10lb and the vet said that was fine.
You can check your cats weight here.
http://www.petfit.com/Petfit/PetIndex.jsp
Click on the Is My Cat Overweight button at the top of the webpage.
Alison

Old September 21st 05, 07:55 PM

I suspect that she is in fact "obese" although she looks normal and has
a bit of a waistline indenting. I weighed her on a more accurate scale
and she is actually 11 pounds. I think as a young adult, full-grown,
she used to weigh 7.5 pounds. If this is so and the scale was accurate,
then she is 40% over her ideal 7.5 weight at 11 pounds. That is "obese"
just based on percentages for almost any living creature.

She has a little belly but I have trouble believing that it's 3 pounds
or so there.

If I'm right, then my cat is technically obese and carrying unnecessary
weight. Now is a good time to start the dieting because as she gets
older, I suspect her metabolism will slow and gain even more weight
with the same food intake.

Probably a pound or two a year loss might be a good start.