My male cat is spraying - and it's new behavior.

Old August 16th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default My male cat is spraying - and it's new behavior.

Hi. My neutered male cat started spraying a few months ago. First it
was the couch. Got some Feliway, that seemed to help for a while.
Yesterday he sprayed my tote bag, last night my boyfriend came over
(he's come over many times before, no spraying happened), the male cat
got up, walked over to my guitar case and started spraying on it right
in front of us. Male cat is in good health, just got a check up.
Feliway is still plugged in the wall. He gets along fine with other
(female) cat in my smallish apt. No other cats in the area. I cannot
afford to hire a pet therapist for $400 to cure him, so any
thoughts/help are appreciated. If he sprays the bed, he's going to the
vet and I'm putting him down. I'm at my wit's end, because I love my
pet - I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and now he seems intent on
destroying everything I own. Please help!!!

Old August 16th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

WTF? "If he sprays the bed, he's going to the vet and I'm putting him
down".
If you are serious take your pet to no kill shelter and never own a pet
again

You love your pet yet you make statements like that one?

Would you like to go back and rephrases your statement before people think
you are a waste of life?

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I'm sorry if my words upset you, but I've lost a couch and several
items because my cat decides he wants to pee on purses, my couch, work
documents... I didn't come here looking for condemnation, I came here
looking for help. Thanks for making me feel even worse, Matthew. I've
tried to find a home for him but how many people do you think want a
cat that loves spraying? Do YOU want him????? Thanks so much for the
condemnation. I can tell you like people a lot too. Lots of
compassion.
Matthew wrote:
WTF? "If he sprays the bed, he's going to the vet and I'm putting him
down".
If you are serious take your pet to no kill shelter and never own a pet
again

You love your pet yet you make statements like that one?

Would you like to go back and rephrases your statement before people think
you are a waste of life?

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Sorry if the truth hurts your thoughts you typed it, you read it before
you sent it.

Yes you can tell a lot about people specially in their response. Specially
since it was as suggestion to go and update your post before people made a
judgment call. Unfortunately you revealed your true side by your response
and only confirmed my suspensions

You want help you need to pay for it we are not vets, therapist or
licensed professionals out here. That is the problem with newsgroup we are
not professionals just experience we can share. Another vet with
behavioral experience is needed

It sounds like a behavioral problem since you quote "just got a check up"
not medical but since you won't spend the money and your materialistic by
your own words. You probably will never know the truth.

IMO it sounds like stress but since I am not a professional it can not be
confirmed. Since you have not decide maybe you should see another vet
having a full workup done instead of coming to a newsgroup and showing your
petty materialistic side. Than make the stupid comment about putting a cat
down if he does it on your bed.

If I was near I would gladly take him of the likes of yourself or direct
you to a no kill shelter that could help. Still willing to direct you to a
shelter or some one that is willing to help. If you are done showing your
a@@

Do you feel bad " no comment " maybe the truth is sinking in

ups.com...
Matthew wrote:
WTF? "If he sprays the bed, he's going to the vet and I'm putting him
down".
If you are serious take your pet to no kill shelter and never own a pet
again

You love your pet yet you make statements like that one?

Would you like to go back and rephrases your statement before people
think
you are a waste of life?

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I agree that the response wasn't helpful, but look, you've owned him
for almost six years, you brought him up, and if he's having a problem,
it's your responsibility to deal with. The vet is not going to put down
a healthy six year old cat no matter what you say, so all you'll end up
doing is making your problem somebody else's problem. You need to solve
it.

First, although I doubt it, he should go to the vet to check for a
urinary tract infection. Even if he just got a check-up - they can come
on fast. Secondly, you need to to do something different with the
llitterbox. Get a 2nd box, do not cover it, and fill it with unscented
clumping litter. Spraying is one of a couple of things: dissatisfaction
with the box (he may not want to share at this point in his life),
territorial issues with the other cat
(which can be going on even if they seem to be getting along okay) or a
protest against you. Since it sounds like he's doing it right in front
of you and wanting to be seen, odds a it's a protest.

So what changed a few months ago? Something must have. Are you spending
less time with him? Different schedule? Cats are sensitive to these
things (wildly so) and they react. In his little fuzzy head, you're
doing things that **** him off, so he's balancing the scales and doing
something that he can see ****es you off (and has no negative
consequences for him that he can detect). He doesn't know that you
might take him to the vet and have him killed.

Sometimes keeping him with you alone in a room with just the new
litterbox and lots of attention can re-orient him to the new box (which
he'll associate with getting to spend time with you). Sometimes using a
time out in the bathroom after a spraying incident with the new box can
also work.

But it does sound like a cat protest, so I look a little deeper and try
to figure out what started this going in the first place.

Old August 16th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Actually, I've owned him 15 years, and I realize that yes, it sounds
like he's just plain old ****ed off at me. I have several books on
cats and their health, how to train them, etc. and they all say cats
don't spray out of anger, revenge, and all that. I find it hard to
believe after what I've beent through.

Being 15, he just had a full blood workup and nothing's wrong with him.
He can still get in and out of the litterbox. I'm actually spending
MORE time with him because I lost my job and have so far only been able
to find a part time job, hence not being able to afford a $400 visit to
a cat therapist. If I have to choose between paying the rent and
paying a cat therapist, guess which wins? I'm in between a rock and a
hard place so if it's choose becoming homeless or getting therapy for
my cat, the cat loses. I'm not heartless and regardless of what the
previous responder thinks or feels (I have serious doubts that that
person has a heart, when it comes to people) I DO love my cat. I'm
just in a hard place in my life and it seems my cat is making it
harder. I would of course take him to a no kill shelter before putting
him down but it would break my heart to have to get rid of him. It
also breaks my heart to come home and have my small apt. smelling of
cat **** every day.

I'm just looking for help, people. That's all.

Tracy, thank you - at least you wrote something constructive. All
"Matt" could do was call me names and try to make me feel worse than I
do.

Old August 16th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

If I have to choose being homeless & paying for a cat therapist or
paying rent and not paying for the therapist, guess which wins?

I actually feel sorry for you, Matthew. You attack people
indiscriminately without knowing the least thing about them. I was
asking for help because I cannot AFFORD a cat therapist. I was hoping
someone would be kind enough to suggest some alternatives to a $400
visit to a cat therapist and at least Tracy could do that. All you
could do was attack.

I hope you can try to feel some compassion for people - you seem to
have some for animals.

Matthew wrote:
[...]

ups.com...
Matthew wrote:
WTF? "If he sprays the bed, he's going to the vet and I'm putting him
down".
If you are serious take your pet to no kill shelter and never own a pet
again

You love your pet yet you make statements like that one?

Would you like to go back and rephrases your statement before people
think
you are a waste of life?

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:
[...]

ups.com...
Matthew wrote:
WTF? "If he sprays the bed, he's going to the vet and I'm putting him
down".
If you are serious take your pet to no kill shelter and never own a pet
again

You love your pet yet you make statements like that one?

Would you like to go back and rephrases your statement before people
think
you are a waste of life?

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catlover Medway via CatKB.com

It does sound like nervous or associative urination caused by feeling
insecure, and you need to think of triggers, as Tracey suggests. I know
you've been to the vet, but did you mention this to him at the time of the
check-up? This always has to be the starting point, medical factors must be
ruled-out.

Secondly, it's very difficult to break the association with the various
objects. They need to be cleaned with a proprietary "urine-off" cleaner and I
would recommend you consult a professional company to do this (they have
special lights that show-up the urine).

Also, try using the pheremone spray as well as the diffuser for added punch.

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20p.../frameset.html
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html
http://www.fabcats.org/spraying.html

Old August 16th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. My neutered male cat started spraying a few months ago. First it
was the couch. Got some Feliway, that seemed to help for a while.
Yesterday he sprayed my tote bag, last night my boyfriend came over
(he's come over many times before, no spraying happened), the male cat
got up, walked over to my guitar case and started spraying on it right
in front of us. Male cat is in good health, just got a check up.
Feliway is still plugged in the wall. He gets along fine with other
(female) cat in my smallish apt. No other cats in the area. I cannot
afford to hire a pet therapist for $400 to cure him, so any
thoughts/help are appreciated. If he sprays the bed, he's going to the
vet and I'm putting him down. I'm at my wit's end, because I love my
pet - I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and now he seems intent on
destroying everything I own. Please help!!!

Please consider the Tufts University Petfax Program (through their School of
Veterinary Medicine). I realize that you are concerned about expenses, but
this would be a lot less costly than replacing furniture and far more humane
and *satisfying* than the alternative you mentioned. I can see from your
message that you do love your cat, and you probably wrote out of
frustration - but putting your pet down isn't the answer.

The Tufts Petfax Program is a consulting service for pet behavioral
problems. I have read many positive reports about them, and my sister used
the service at one time. She had done everything she could think of to solve
the spraying problem, and her entire house reeked. This service was very
helpful. I think the original consultation was $198.00 (now $206.00,
according to their web site), but it included an extensive written report
and 3 follow-ups (with some options for telephone consultation). There is a
report to fill out first, and the people who posted about it stressed that
it is very important to include *all details*. She acted on their advice and
obtained a prescription from her veterinarian for Prozac. Please note that
this was a last option and not something that she jumped on in the
beginning, but it has *completely solved* the problem of spraying. Her cat
has had no difficulties with the medication, and there have been no
additional spraying episodes since she started the program several years ago
(although you do have to give it enough time to adjust and be effective). It
is vital to first make sure that your cat does not have any medical problems
(but I am working on that assumption because you said your cat was recently
vet checked).

Here are two links --
Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine Petfax Program:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/
About the Petfax Program:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/about.html

MaryL