Urine Testing Beads & URINE TESTS

Old April 27th 04, 03:54 PM
Yngver

Laura R. wrote:

circa Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:06:59 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
ann ruminski ) said,
Using a needle to get a sample is very traumatic. The last time the vet
felt they had
to do that to get a sample (after Colette had sat there all day

refusing
to go), they
had to give her gas and put her out to do it. No one was very happy
about this.

I've never had that experience. Apparently different cats and
different vets produce different results. The vets take Jacob's urine
samples right there in front of me, and he's absolutely fine
throughout. The only time he expresses any discomfort at the vets' is
when his anal glands are expressed, and even then, it's just a little
"mew" in between purrs.

Personally, having somebody's finger in his butt, I can't blame him.
:-)

While needle aspiration may be traumatic in a few cases, I don't think normally
it is. It's not usual to have to sedate or anesthesize the cat for a needle
aspiration of urine, although obviously if the cat is very uncooperative it may
be. In my experience, some vets prefer the needle method, some don't. Our cat
clinic uses needle aspiration and our cats have never had a problem with it,
although there is a possibility that this method can introduce a small amount
of blood into the sample. My friend's vet doesn't use needle aspiration for
just that reason, but I have to say that my friend has a heck of a time trying
to get a sample at home. As to which is more traumatic for the cat, again I
think it depends on the cat. If a cat is not choosy about using an empty litter
tray or using the special litter beads, that may be less stressful, but for
many cats the needle aspiration is the quicker, less stressful method.