Strange hairball...

Old August 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Strange hairball...

I think I mentioned before that one vet I called when Abelard was sick said
he probably has hairballs. Although I did not believe he possibly could have
them, I started feeding an anti-hairball dry food after that, just in case.
I have only ever seen *one* tiny hairball come out of Abelard - about the
size of a small marble and clearly composed of his own fur. But last night
he horked up one more very odd little thing.... I pulled it apart and found
a bunch of fine grey hairs along with some BLACK ones which were *very*
long, and thicker than any cat hair I've ever seen.... and he never grooms
any other cat aside from Beatrice (ginger/white), and very seldom even her,
so where did these gray and black hairs come from?? The only black cat in
the house is Eli, who has very short hair, and Abelard *never* grooms him,
nor anyone with any grey fur.

Old August 3rd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut

Just out of curiosity what about your hair or anyone else in
household?? If I get a shower and do not clean my hair (Which seems
to to come out faster and faster) and the cats find it they eat it.

Old August 3rd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
I think I mentioned before that one vet I called when Abelard was sick said
he probably has hairballs. Although I did not believe he possibly could
have them, I started feeding an anti-hairball dry food after that, just in
case. I have only ever seen *one* tiny hairball come out of Abelard - about
the size of a small marble and clearly composed of his own fur. But last
night he horked up one more very odd little thing.... I pulled it apart and
found a bunch of fine grey hairs along with some BLACK ones which were
*very* long, and thicker than any cat hair I've ever seen.... and he never
grooms any other cat aside from Beatrice (ginger/white), and very seldom
even her, so where did these gray and black hairs come from?? The only
black cat in the house is Eli, who has very short hair, and Abelard *never*
grooms him, nor anyone with any grey fur.

Don't Aby's have long black guard hairs in their fur? They certainly have
black hairs anyway. Can't explain the grey part unless he has a grey
undercoat though.
Does he lick the carpet at all or anywhere where shed hairs might be?

Tweed

Old August 3rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 07:58:13 -0500, Pat wrote:

I think I mentioned before that one vet I called when Abelard was sick said
he probably has hairballs. Although I did not believe he possibly could have
them, I started feeding an anti-hairball dry food after that, just in case.
I have only ever seen *one* tiny hairball come out of Abelard - about the
size of a small marble and clearly composed of his own fur. But last night
he horked up one more very odd little thing.... I pulled it apart and found
a bunch of fine grey hairs along with some BLACK ones which were *very*
long, and thicker than any cat hair I've ever seen.... and he never grooms
any other cat aside from Beatrice (ginger/white), and very seldom even her,
so where did these gray and black hairs come from?? The only black cat in
the house is Eli, who has very short hair, and Abelard *never* grooms him,
nor anyone with any grey fur.

Hairballs do not always look like globs of hair. I have seen hairballs
that look like "tootsie rolls" or even a BM movement. Any fuzzy thing
they lick can contribute to hairballs. The HB medication helps it pass
through the digestive system. Good luck. MLB

Old August 3rd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"kraut" wrote

Just out of curiosity what about your hair or anyone else in
household?? If I get a shower and do not clean my hair (Which seems
to to come out faster and faster) and the cats find it they eat it.

My hair isn't black, and I do clean it out of the shower if I leave any
there.

Old August 3rd 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Christina Websell" wrote

Don't Aby's have long black guard hairs in their fur? They certainly have
black hairs anyway. Can't explain the grey part unless he has a grey
undercoat though.
Does he lick the carpet at all or anywhere where shed hairs might be?

No on all three counts.

Old August 3rd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote

what happens to the fur and whiskers of consumed
mice? Might they form a hairball?

Mouse fur and whiskers would be much shorter than what I found. And anyway
it's been at least 5 months since he could have eaten a mouse.

Old August 3rd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"mlbriggs" wrote

Hairballs do not always look like globs of hair. I have seen hairballs
that look like "tootsie rolls" or even a BM movement. Any fuzzy thing
they lick can contribute to hairballs. The HB medication helps it pass
through the digestive system. Good luck. MLB

In four years of careful observation, I've never seen Abelard licking any
"fuzzy things".

Old August 3rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"Christina Websell" wrote

Don't Aby's have long black guard hairs in their fur? They certainly
have black hairs anyway. Can't explain the grey part unless he has a
grey undercoat though.
Does he lick the carpet at all or anywhere where shed hairs might be?

No on all three counts.

I see that no explanations that have been offered are a possibility. It is
unlikely to be a paranormal experience so you need to think where he could
have got these black/grey hairs from.
I must be mistaken when I see black hairs in Abyssinians then. They seem to
be shot through their brown fur with them and longer coarser black hairs on
top of their coat here in Britain.

Tweed

Old August 3rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:57:25 -0500, Pat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote

Hairballs do not always look like globs of hair. I have seen hairballs
that look like "tootsie rolls" or even a BM movement. Any fuzzy thing
they lick can contribute to hairballs. The HB medication helps it pass
through the digestive system. Good luck. MLB

In four years of careful observation, I've never seen Abelard licking any
"fuzzy things".

TuTu will lick feather toys, a fur jacket and even a fuzzy afghan. MLB