Meetoo checked into hospital overnight tonight- I'm nervous

Old July 25th 03, 09:23 PM
SPillus

Default Meetoo checked into hospital overnight tonight- I'm nervous

Hi,
My original post about Meetoo was about her arthritis but her blood test came
back and the vet said her calcium is high. Her potassium is low. She also has
an elevated heart rate. They are keeping her overnight to give her an IV
containing potassium and some insulin.
I did not speak to the vet myself but I will about an hour from now. My
mother had spoken to the vet and the vet wanted Meetoo to check in right away.
Meetoo already takes 100ml of fluids for her kidneys daily.
I don't know what any of this new stuff in the IV means.
If any of what I've written is familiar to anyone, please respond. I keep
telling myself she's in good hands at the vet. I'm scared anyway.
Thank you,
Susan
Old July 25th 03, 10:54 PM
Annie Wxill

"SPillus" wrote in message
Hi,

.... I keep
telling myself she's in good hands at the vet. I'm scared anyway.
Thank you,
Susan

Sorry I can't give you any advice, but we'll send you positive vibrations
for Meetoo and for you, too.
Annie, aided by Cinder & Rosie

Old July 26th 03, 12:58 AM
Cheryl

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"SPillus" wrote in message
Hi,

... I keep
telling myself she's in good hands at the vet. I'm scared anyway.
Thank you,
Susan

Sorry I can't give you any advice, but we'll send you positive

vibrations
for Meetoo and for you, too.
Annie, aided by Cinder & Rosie

Same here. I'm worried with you and my kitties send purrs.

Cheryl

Old July 27th 03, 04:44 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , SPillus at
wrote on 7/26/03 9:07 PM:

Thanks you guys
The vet hasn't been able to diagnose anything yet. Meetoo is still in
hospital. A second blood test result will come back Monday. The only thing
that's out of place in the potassium level is low. There's no change in her
kidneys according to the blood test yesterday.
The vet said she may be just aging. She had been eating very little this
week at home.
I saw Meetooo this afternoon at the hospital. She seemed the same. She
was also scared to be there at the hospital.
I'm starting to think that Meetoo was quietly in her own way, trying to die
here at home. The last three days that she was home, she kept trying to
position herself up against my arm or side to keep warm. She hadn't done that
in years.
I cried when I read all your responses and purrs to my post. I'm still
crying. It means more than you can possibly know , for me to see your
there.
When I left Meetoo today after my visit with her, I told her it's ok if she
wants to go and she doesn't have to worry about me.
I've always planned to bring her home no matter what.
Thanks so much everyone. I'll keep writing.
Susan

Sue, of course, no one will know but your vet and you if this is really
serious enough to be "her time" but I thought you might be interested in the
following

http://www.soloxine.com/brochHypokalemia.htm

I don't know how old Meetoo is, but if she does have some kidney problems,
it may still be manageable now that you know about it. As the article
indicates there may be other causes but it does not seem to be impossible to
manage and she may very well have a chance at some more quality time with
you. Take care and keep us posted.

Karen