Questions about pet license

Old April 27th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Sentimental Numerologist

Default Questions about pet license

I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet
license? Is this just a way for the city to get money out of its
residents? What if I ignore it? I have two cats and I'm not sure if
I just have to ignore it and not bother getting a license. I will
appreciate your help/opinion.

===
The Sentimental Numerologist
http://martindulcimer.blogspot.com/
Life: From the Point of View of Two Himalayan Cats

Old April 27th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

The Sentimental Numerologist wrote:
I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet

Assuming this is a serious post. Licensing pets, as far as I understand
it, serves two purposes. One, it encourages people to spay/neuter their
pets, as licenses for intact animals tend to be significantly higher
than for neutered ones. Two, it serves as a revenue source for the city
that is usually devoted to the local shelter and/or spay and neuter
organizations. At least that's how it works here in Austin.

Cheers.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 27th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alphamale

On Apr 27, 1:00 pm, The Sentimental Numerologist
wrote:
I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet
license? Is this just a way for the city to get money out of its
residents? What if I ignore it? I have two cats and I'm not sure if
I just have to ignore it and not bother getting a license. I will
appreciate your help/opinion.

===
TheSentimentalNumerologisthttp://martindulcimer.blogspot.com/
Life: From the Point of View of Two Himalayan Cats

I have a license for my pet fish. His name is Eric.

I chose him from thousands. Didn't like the others, they were all
too flat.

Old April 28th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
The Sentimental Numerologist wrote:
I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet

Assuming this is a serious post. Licensing pets, as far as I
understand it, serves two purposes. One, it encourages people to
spay/neuter their pets, as licenses for intact animals tend to be
significantly higher than for neutered ones. Two, it serves as a
revenue source for the city that is usually devoted to the local
shelter and/or spay and neuter organizations. At least that's how it
works here in Austin.

Cheers.

Victor

Cat licenses aren't mandatory here (yet) but dog licenses are. Along with
the purposes you stated above (Victor) the license must be renewed annually
in order to get the certificate showing they have been vaccinated against
rabies. A dog license isn't just a piece of paper; it's a metal tag worn on
the collar. It also (back in the day before microchipping, at least) helped
identify lost dogs.

Jill

Old April 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

I presume that licenses are mainly to know what animals are in the town
and whether they have been inoculated against contagious disease - ie,
rabies. This helps the town pass information to owners about rabid wild
animals and gives them some idea of how many domesticated animals there
are in town. But that just my humble opinion. My kitten is licensed yet
- has to be in September. This is a town which does not pro-rate license
years, but runs from one September to the next. We just got her last
year at a date just after she needed to be licensed. So.... And she
didn't have her shots and spaying done till after either so it would've
been a moot point, as they wouldn't have let us license her.
Kathy and Woodgie
Verona NJ
Old April 28th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 27, 12:00 pm, The Sentimental Numerologist
wrote:
I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet
license? Is this just a way for the city to get money out of its
residents? What if I ignore it? I have two cats and I'm not sure if
I just have to ignore it and not bother getting a license. I will
appreciate your help/opinion.

Your other questions seemed to be pretty well answered already, but to
the question
"What if I ignore it."

You'll probably just get a fine that will be reimbursed as soon as you
show proof that
you've gotten the license. Is there a chance your kitty would escape
to the outdoors?
If so, that license is his ticket home, because the municipal pound
will keep records
& know how to contact you if he's found. Usually the revenue from the
licenses goes
for upkeep of the municipal shelter. It's not a bad deal, really, and
they're usually
only $10-$15.

Sherry

Old April 28th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
I just got a postcard notice from our city hall about imposing a pet
license for cats and dogs. Does anybody know the utility of pet
license? Is this just a way for the city to get money out of its
residents? What if I ignore it? I have two cats and I'm not sure
if I just have to ignore it and not bother getting a license. I will
appreciate your help/opinion.

Your other questions seemed to be pretty well answered already, but to
the question
"What if I ignore it."

You'll probably just get a fine that will be reimbursed as soon as you
show proof that
you've gotten the license.

Back in the mid-1980's a sheriff's deputy (trainee, I think) knocked on my
door. He was going house to house to make sure everyone who had a dog had a
dog license (again, no cat licenses required). It had never occurred to me.
I was given 7 days to get the dog licensed otherwise I would be fined. I
can't recall the amount of the fine but I immediately got his license. And
yes, they followed up.

Old April 28th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
Victor Martinez wrote:
[...]

We no longer have dog licences in Britain, when we did there were many jokes
about a dog licence being cheaper than a marriage licence.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 28th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:
[...]

Wow, your county sheriff's department must have had way too much time
on
their hands, using Sheriff's Department manpower to
enforce city dog licensing. Around here, it's up to the animal control
officers.

Sherry

Old April 28th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

A lot of places are doing specially country towns this it gives the animal
control office/ sheriff officer the power of instant arrest instead of how
we see it on TV all the time of having to go get a judge to issue a warrant

Update on "Wish Me Luck" (insurance license exam) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 January 26th 06 08:36 PM
Old Cat questions Blastforth Cat health & behaviour 7 April 23rd 05 11:33 PM
2 cat questions Just a guy and his cat Cat health & behaviour 12 November 2nd 04 12:24 AM
(US OH) Dog Pound workers armed with license to kill; animal abuse evident [email protected] Cat anecdotes 14 July 22nd 04 10:54 AM
Questions frigamia Cat health & behaviour 2 March 6th 04 02:23 AM