Yogurt ok?

Old August 24th 05, 08:34 PM
Kiran

Default Yogurt ok?

My cat really loves yogurt. Is it ok to give them a spoonful or so of
plain yogurt, or is it harmful for them?
Old August 24th 05, 09:16 PM
vancats

Kiran:
Plain yogurt is good in small amounts, it shouldn't hurt your cat at
all. It makes for a good treat, mine love it.

Yours in Purrs:
Leslie

Old August 25th 05, 08:43 AM
IBen Getiner

Kiran wrote:
My cat really loves yogurt. Is it ok to give them a spoonful or so of
plain yogurt, or is it harmful for them?

Don't listen to these old mother hens in here when they try to take the
wind out of your sails... There's nothing wrong with most of the things
that they hate that you think are kool. They just don't want your cat
to have any fun or anything.
I let our little boy lap eagerly from the cap on my buttermilk jug.
Just a little every now and then. I think he might go for yogurt if he
like the buttermilk... Yours sounds like it likes that sour milk taste
too...

IBen

Old August 25th 05, 11:17 AM
Spider

IBen Getiner wrote in message
ups.com...

Kiran wrote:
My cat really loves yogurt. Is it ok to give them a spoonful or so of
plain yogurt, or is it harmful for them?

Don't listen to these old mother hens in here when they try to take the
wind out of your sails... There's nothing wrong with most of the things
that they hate that you think are kool. They just don't want your cat
to have any fun or anything.
I let our little boy lap eagerly from the cap on my buttermilk jug.
Just a little every now and then. I think he might go for yogurt if he
like the buttermilk... Yours sounds like it likes that sour milk taste
too...

IBen

Some cats certainly like the taste of sour milk. An ex-cat of mine,
Tiggypuss, used to like milk now and then, but he would often leave some
milk in his dish until it was curdled .. then he would really give it big
licks! It certainly didn't do him any harm - he lived to 22 yrs of age.
Furthermore, he was SO healthy in his old age that vets often doubted his
age, until I told them I'd had him from a 6wk-old kitten. He was a
magnificent and dear friend.

Spider

Old August 26th 05, 09:45 AM
Steve(JazzHunter)

On 24 Aug 2005 20:51:21 GMT, "Brandy**Alexandre"
wrote:

vancats wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Kiran:
Plain yogurt is good in small amounts, it shouldn't hurt your
cat at
all. It makes for a good treat, mine love it.

Yours in Purrs:
Leslie

Actually plain yogurt is good for cats, especially weaning kittens
switching over to their own colon bacteria from their Mother's and
suffering E. Coli Overbloom. Also cats recovering from Colonitis,
usually benefit from Yogurt or the Lactobacillus bacterial cultures
contained within. My Somali had a rather bad bout with Giardiais,
caught from another cat, and even after a full recovery he was still
having loose stools, so the vet prescribed, yes PRESCRIBED Astro plain
yogurt to promote proper colon bacterial growth. Sure 'nuff the
diarrhea cleared up. He loves the stuff so I still give it to him as a
treat.

Many breeders will include a bit of lactobacillus or probiotic
bacteria, or barring that, yogurt, with the cat's food to promote good
gastrointestinal health, which is critical for promoting a good coat
and clear eyes.

Cats can't taste the sugar in yogurt, but that is used in culturing
the yogurt and can't be avoided. Generally yogurt is far less of a
concern for Lactose-intolerance than an equivalent amount of milk, so
that should not be a concern. You cannot equate a "Yogurt" treat with
a "Milk" treat, milk is harmful to at least some degree, Yogurt is
generally beneficial.

... Steve ..

Kami like lemon yogurt. Go figure. I thought cats were supposed to
despise citrus.

Old August 26th 05, 09:47 AM

Kiran wrote:
[...]

Great story! Man... that's a lot of years. But it is never long enough
when one has a friend as loyal as they... I certainly hope that our boy
will go on as long as your boy did. My aunt had twin Siamese sisters.
One lived to be twenty-three and the other twenty, I think. It shook
her terribly when they finally did go. They seemed to be a normal part
of family life all through my growing up and my cousin's growing up
too!
Our boy is very young still, but we don't ever talk about him leaving
us forever. We just couldn't deal with it, I'm afraid. Even me... I
never thought I would take so hard to a pet, but believe it or not,
sometimes I think he is more my kat than he is the wife's!
Thanks for your touching post...

IBen

Old August 26th 05, 12:01 PM
kate

My boys have all loved yogurt. Mostly fruit yogurt because we don't eat
much plain. The only bit left would be if they accidently got any fruit
chunks. When I brought Angus home the breeder suggested that I give him
bits of yoghurt, cheese etc - anything to add extra calcium to his diet
while he was growing.

I've never had any problems.

Kate

Old August 26th 05, 08:30 PM
Spider

wrote in message
ups.com...

Kiran wrote:
[...]

Glad you enjoyed the tale, IBen. Hold on to your beloved friends for as
long as you can. The pleasure and honour of that returned affection makes
me by turns both humble and proud. You're right about husbands developing
unusual bonds with cats. My hubby actually doesn't like cats, but he had a
soft spot for Tiggypuss (even if he did deny it!). When Tiggypuss died,
hubby picked him up to lay him in his flower-bedecked grave (I wanted to,
but couldn't see for tears); just before he laid him to rest, hubby gently
kissed Tiggypuss's brow. It was lovely, but made me cry all the more.
Tiggypuss will never, ever be forgotten.

I currently live with Cheetah and Panther, both 'doctored' girls. I only
hope we can spend many happy years together.
Enjoy your purrfect friends.

Spider

Old September 1st 05, 01:32 AM
Me Myself and I

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

What about baked beans and garlic mashed potato? Plate left on table
finished without our knowledge and with no ill effects........

Old September 1st 05, 02:22 AM
Me Myself and I

What about baked beans and garlic mashed potato? Plate left on table
finished without our knowledge and with no ill effects........

I'd wear a gas mask anywhere near the litterbox just in case...

Good advice! Will bear it in mind