May I Ask A Question?

Old November 4th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

Default May I Ask A Question?

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 02:15:27 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
healthy for them.

I don't know where people get 20 pound cats. The largest cat I ever
had was a thirteen pounder and he was a whopper. He was long enough
to stand on the floor and peek over the edge of the kitchen table.
The "cat size" name tags that vets use were too small to go around his
neck.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old November 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GWB

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:54:29 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"barb" wrote in message
From reading these posts, it almost seems like a little milk sometimes
leads
to longevity, kind of like a 90 year old having a glass of wine every
night.

It has given every cat I have ever had explosive diarrhea. And it should be
stressed that cow's milk is NOT the thing to feed kittens, they need special
milk from the vet if they are not weaned and are without their mother.

I read that most cats are lactose intolerant, but if it doesn't give
em diarrhea and they don't throw it up it can't hurt em. It doesn't
give them any nutrition. If you fed a cat nothing but milk, it would
starve to death. Think of it as kitty junk food.
Mine loves it. I give him about an ounce if I'm eating cereal.

Old November 5th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
S N

Default May I Ask A Question? ( Weight for Maine Coon Cats)

Thanks for all the replies.

Weight for Maine Coon cats: Normal common weight for Main Coon cats
they say is, females 9 to 12 lbs, males 13-18. Ours is 17, so he's not
over weight

This is from the web site below:
"Although the Yankee myth of 30-pound cats is just that, a myth (unless
the cat is grossly overweight!), these are indeed tall, muscular,
big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females
normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Add to that two or three inches
of winter coat, and people will swear that they're looking at one big
cat."

Address:http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

Old November 6th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

S N wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

Weight for Maine Coon cats: Normal common weight for Main Coon cats
they say is, females 9 to 12 lbs, males 13-18. Ours is 17, so he's not
over weight

This is from the web site below:
"Although the Yankee myth of 30-pound cats is just that, a myth (unless
the cat is grossly overweight!), these are indeed tall, muscular,
big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females
normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Add to that two or three inches
of winter coat, and people will swear that they're looking at one big
cat."

I have a Ragdoll, also a large breed like the Maine Coon. Very similar
temperment too. Mine is currently 16 lbs and approximately 3 years old.

When I got him, the shelter thought he was a 3-4 year old Himilayan
mix, but it became obvious that he was still maturing as he gained
weight and thickened. At one point, he was up to about 19 lbs, but he
was chubby at that point. I think he was still growing, and not yet
used to having food available all the time (he was found outside
begging for food). But he has settled down and isn't so food oriented
now. And while I swear he looks and feels like he weighs 25 lbs, the
scale says 16 lbs. He does look huge with the fluffy fur and hefty
build. He is almost as tall as my sheltie, just as long, and weighs
more than she does.

I know somebody else with a heavier cat, but he has a normal frame, and
is seriously overweight. A healthy Maine Coon or Ragdoll will look
huge, but still proportional. The weight is their muscles and larger
frame, and not hanging in a huge belly

Old November 6th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
healthy for them.

I don't know where people get 20 pound cats. The largest cat I ever
had was a thirteen pounder and he was a whopper. He was long enough
to stand on the floor and peek over the edge of the kitchen table.
The "cat size" name tags that vets use were too small to go around his
neck.

Bud

My longhaired guy is just going from 16 to 17 lbs. I think I need to
cut down on the free feeding. But he isn't really overweight, that boy
is just big. You can tell by looking at the paws. His paws are huge
and always were. I don't know if he's part MC or not but he sure has
some traits. Furry palms, for instance. NOT what it means in humans I
understand. He's fixed.