Ping Tanada

Old January 4th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Ping Tanada

Pam,

How far away are you from Kings Mountain or Charlotte? We have
applied to judge a BBQ competition at Kings Mountain in April. If
accepted we thought we'd go from Kings Mountain to Charlotte to check
out the US National Whitewater Center. Would love to have a chance to
meet you and Rob and the rest of the family.

Julie
Old January 4th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 3, 11:26*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:04 pm, GaDragonfly wrote:

Pam,

How far away are you from Kings Mountain or Charlotte? *We have
applied to judge a BBQ competition at Kings Mountain in April. * If
accepted we thought we'd go from Kings Mountain to Charlotte to check
out the US National Whitewater Center. *Would love to have a chance to
meet you and Rob and the rest of the family.

Julie

Look, this is NOMB but just by accident I know that Pam & co. have
fried
PCs - multiple I believe - and cannot do *anything* online as of a
couple
days ago; she is afraid new PC's are ikn order.
Nothing odd about this: weather very bad there....when weather bad in
my origin area, same thing: the natives overload the power systems and
major blackouts go on for days: this happened in south FL during Xmas
this year. I was told their surge protector failed and major
electrical fryiing
complete with bad smells. I would suggest you keep trying. That's all
I know.

Thanks Hopitus, fortunately I have a few months before I need to make
plans. I'm trying to avoid the huge phone bills I've had recently
(with a sick stepmother I've had to stay in touch with family) so I'm
hesitant to call but I can always send a gasp letter

Julie
Old January 4th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Default BBQ Contests ( Ping Tanada)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:04:05 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
wrote:

Pam,

How far away are you from Kings Mountain or Charlotte? We have
applied to judge a BBQ competition at Kings Mountain in April. If

You judge BBQ contests? Like the ones they show on TV from time to
time, with 4 or 5 different divisions, and the crazy (in a nice way)
people with the $10,000 grills who stay up all night cooking, and it
looks like everybody is having a fun, terrific, wonderful time? I
know there's a regular circuit for that kind of thing, and it must
really be something to see (and taste!)...

Do the judges have to do all the different divisions, or do you
specialize, or what? How does that work?

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old January 4th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
[...]

LOL Letter writing seems to be a lost art. I rarely even use stamps to pay
bills these days; I do everything online. But thanks (hopitus) for the
reminder. My LLL knows diddly about computers and I used to write him
letters. I sort of stopped doing that, I don't know why. I think I'll
start again

Jill

Old January 4th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

You judge BBQ contests? *Like the ones they show on TV from time to
time, with 4 or 5 different divisions, and the crazy (in a nice way)
people with the $10,000 grills who stay up all night cooking, and it
looks like everybody is having a fun, terrific, wonderful time? *I
know there's a regular circuit for that kind of thing, and it must
really be something to see (and taste!)...

Do the judges have to do all the different divisions, or do you
specialize, or what? How does that work?

Jeanne Hedge

============http://www.jhedge.com

Hi Jeanne,
Yes, DH and I are certified Kansas City Barbeque Society judges. KCBS
is probably one of the more recognized societies and they have
sanctioned events all over the country. There are local societies and
some, such as Florida BBQ Association are quite large and active. At
KCBS we judge four categories of meat: chicken, ribs, pork and
brisket. At many events there are also ancillary categories such as
sides, "anything but (the four categories)", desserts (yumm), etc. In
New Mexico we judged all four categories plus anything but, sides,
beans, and dessert. There are often several divisions at a
competition usually there is a kids Q on Friday night then a Backyard
BBQ and Professional BBQ. Depending on the number of teams you can
judge up to 6 teams in each category. Trust me, you can eat a lot of
food when judging!! You're right about the amount of money they spend
on their smokers and equipment. We walk around admiring some really
nice setups that include large enclosed trailers, multiple smokers,
portable kitchens, etc. And the people are all really nice. All in
all a great time. BBQ competitions are usually held in conjunction
with festivals and fairs so there are things to do, different foods to
sample - even pig races in New Mexico This year we hope to judge
in New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, Lake Placid,
NY, South Carolina and Tennessee. You can find out more information
by going to the Kansas city Barbeque Society website at: www.kcbs.us

Julie
Old January 4th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

Ever judge at Memphis in May? It's (allegedly) the largest world BBQ
contest. I have a friend back in TN who is on a BBQ team. She's absolutely
fanatical about it. They do other contests but this is the big one. In
fact, now that it's January she's probably having weekly meetings to get
everyone painting their rig, figuring out decorations, etc. They mostly
cook pork shoulders, although i think they also do a couple slabs of ribs.
They've won some trophies for Best Sauce. It's a mustard based sauce. If I
have to have sauce (I'm not a big sauce fan) I prefer vinegar based.

Jill

Old January 4th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

This year we hope to judge in New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Florida,
North Carolina, Lake Placid,NY

Hi Julie,

When is the cook off in Lake Placid? I grew up near there, and visit the
area a couple times a year. Only about 3 hour driving time from here.

Mishi
Old January 4th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 4, 11:18*am, Mishi wrote:
This year we hope to judge in New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Florida,
North Carolina, Lake Placid,NY

Hi Julie,

When is the cook off in Lake Placid? I grew up near there, and visit the
area a couple times a year. Only about 3 hour driving time from here.

Mishi

Hi Mishi,
The Lake Placid event is July 4th weekend. http://www.ilbbqf.com/
Julie
Old January 6th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 4, 10:36*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

No, we haven't. Memphis in May is one of the largest contests going
but it is a Memphis BBQ Association (MBA) sanctioned event and at the
moment we're concentrating on KCBS events. The other problem is that
it falls the weekend before I have my two weekend/12 day business trip
and I haven't been willing to take three weekends away from the
cats. I have my priorities right.

Julie
Old January 14th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
Pam,

How far away are you from Kings Mountain or Charlotte? We have
applied to judge a BBQ competition at Kings Mountain in April. If
accepted we thought we'd go from Kings Mountain to Charlotte to check
out the US National Whitewater Center. Would love to have a chance to
meet you and Rob and the rest of the family.

Julie

Hi Julie (and everyone)

I am playing catch up from my annual Xmas disease, so didn't see this when
it was first posted. Fayetteville is roughly 2 hours from Charlotte. I
joke that Fayetteville is roughly within 2 hours from everywhere in North
Carolina. When is your competition? We can probably arrange to meet you
over there somewhere. Morrow Mountain (where Pine Cone adopted us) is close
and has cabins for rent as well as tent and RV areas. Mike is on mid-term
vacation from 13 April to 17 April and we can shake loose ourselves most any
time. We just have to find cat feeders. Just give me dates and locations
and we'll see what we can work out. email addy is and
I actually didn't run over my storage limit while sick. Strange though.
Again, just let us know where and when and we'll be there, Rob's health
willing.

Pam S, Jazzed by the idea of getting to meet Wamsee's God parents

Ping Tanada - really OT! GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 6 September 26th 07 12:12 AM
Ping Tanada CatNipped Cat anecdotes 2 April 18th 05 01:55 AM
Ping Tanada and Rob! GraceCat Cat anecdotes 4 January 13th 05 09:10 PM
Ping Tanada Gracecat Cat anecdotes 4 April 22nd 04 08:14 PM