We're moving into a basement...

Old October 18th 03, 10:20 PM
MaryL

"No1" wrote in message
That's actually a good idea...I'm not all that good at making things, but

my
mother-in-law wears the pants in that family and does all the

"handyperson"
jobs. Do you know if there are any "blueprints" online? Or maybe a

how-to?
What kind of carpeting is that anyway?

Sorry for my thin skin (as mentioned in another post) :-)

Here are a few wites with plans for do-it-yourself cat furnitu

http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html#build-it

http://www.cat-tree-plans.com/

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/furniturediy.html

MaryL

Old October 18th 03, 10:29 PM
Cheryl

In ,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER composed with style:

My sister installed a gate (two, actually) that she ordered online
from Drs. Foster and Smith. They are extra tall, and she mounted
one above the other (fastened together so they can be moved as a
single unit).

I didn't know they made a gate that can be fitted with another as a
single unit. Neat idea and that could have come in handy recently.
Oh well.

Old October 18th 03, 10:37 PM
No1

Cool. Thanks. I'll see what she thinks. :-) Materials should be WAY
cheaper than $100-200!

Old October 18th 03, 10:58 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"No1" wrote in message
We've considered those too. We'll see how the baby gates work out since
those are available at no cost right now (they have two) Then when we

have
the money, we may purchase two of our own and attach them together to move
as one unit. We also plan to get an air purifier to get the "basement"
smell out.

In my experience, you would need a very good (and fairly expensive) air
purifier to get rid of basement smell. If cost is a factor, you could also
try something like a Deodoroc. We got ours at Home Depot in the section
where they have house cleaning fluids (I'm in Canada, though, and I don't
know if it's available at all Home Depots). It's just a block made of sort
of a chalky substance and it absorbs odors very well (their website is
www.deodoroc.com if you want to look). Or, since your basement suite is
probably quite large, Lee Valley makes one that is made of volcanic rock.
You can find it at www.leevalley.com and the item number is KD401. It's
called "volcanic deodorizer". They say one bag treats 4800 *cubic* feet, so
you may need more than one for your space (they're 8.95 each).

rona

Old October 19th 03, 12:41 AM
Gail

I'm sure the cats will be fine. I commend you for not getting "rid of them."
They are part of the family.
Gail
"No1" wrote in message
I will apologize in advance for any "snippiness" in my writing. This

isn't
easy for us, let alone the cats too. There are MANY places we could rent
for cheaper, but all of them don't allow pets. So we have to make due

with
what we have. Again, I apologize.

"No1" wrote in message
Um...I don't see why you'd feel bad about my cats. I'm sorry, but we

don't
have the money to purchase cat trees, etc. That's the main reason we're
moving in with my parents is because we can no longer afford our rent

and
both are out of work. They're not outside cats, but we'll see what we

can
do about sunlight and such.

They have plenty of toys and one cat cave type thingy...you know the

kind
that's about thigh high, round with two holes in the side and a shelf on

the
top hole? If those aren't good enough, then I'm sorry. But hey, if you
want to send me money or the cat towers that I've seen (that run

$100-200)
feel free, you won't get any argument from me.

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Any thoughts? Please, please do not flame or ask us to get rid of

the
pets.
We are just trying to find a happy compromise.

I would only feel bad that they won't be able to see outside very well

and
most
cats like to sit in windows. Do you have those little windows that

are
in
some
basements with the window wells outside them? If you do, maybe you

could
get a
couple high cat trees so they would be able to sort of see out those

windows a
little. Maybe you could get an aquarium or something for them to

watch
for
entertainment. I would make sure you have lots of toys and cat trees

for
them
so they won't get bored. Do your parents have a screened in porch or

anything
that you could let the cats go to when your parents go out? Just so

they
could
see the outdoors and feel fresh air sometimes.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an

eye
other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 19th 03, 12:41 AM
Gail

"No1" wrote in message
[...]

A Moving Experience Margaret Fine Cat anecdotes 13 March 12th 04 04:54 AM
Bird in basement Ann Cat anecdotes 2 January 11th 04 07:40 PM
Moving House with a Cat Cathi Cat anecdotes 4 October 10th 03 09:42 PM
what's in the basement? [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 September 27th 03 07:01 AM
what's in the basement? Update Brenda Cat anecdotes 1 September 27th 03 02:56 AM