A little concerned about Persia

Old April 10th 04, 03:23 PM
Sherry

She was at 15 lbs. (she's a long cat) this time last Fall. Then she
developed a UTI in December and was down to about 12 lbs. Now she's at 10
lbs. I've noticed she is not eating the UR food they've got her on. She'll
take a few bites, then just walk away. And she meows at me constantly if I
head for the kitchen, like "Please, I'm starving!" Okay, I know that's a
typical cat-trick but since her bowl is staying full of food I really do
think she's hungry. (I have not given in! No Fancy Feast!)

Jill, that's an awful lot of weight for her to lose. I wouldn't worry about
that in itself, just the fact that she's not eating enough. I wonder if the vet
will let you switch to another food that she might like better. Purrs for
Persia to stay healthy!

Sherry
Old April 10th 04, 03:24 PM
jmcquown

JP Hobbs wrote:
Purrs to Persia I too would be concerned after having Henri
doing the same thing I think you should get him a blood test
that was the only way they found out what was wrong with him
he was 9-3.kl, and when I finally found that out, he was down to
5-6.kl
his kidneys were failing I could only keep him about a week after that
and had to have him put to sleep,hewas 13 1\2. I was devastated
Jean.P.

Oh no, Jean! I'm so sorry to hear that. After all the trouble Persia went
to to insist I become her human, I'm counting on her being stubbornly
insistent she stay with me for years and years.

I'm on hold with the vet's office right now; he was with a patient but they
said he'll talk to me in a few minutes if I will hold. Of course I will.

Jill

jmcquown wrote in message
.. .
I called the vet and asked for him to call me back but the evening
came/went with no phone call. He'll probably call me today
(Saturday).

Some of you read about my great Dallas adventure and the fact that
Persia came down with another UTI while I was gone. She's doing
okay with that but I'm concerned about her weight.

She was at 15 lbs. (she's a long cat) this time last Fall. Then she
developed a UTI in December and was down to about 12 lbs. Now she's
at 10 lbs. I've noticed she is not eating the UR food they've got
her on. She'll take a few bites, then just walk away. And she meows
at me constantly if I head for the kitchen, like "Please, I'm
starving!" Okay, I know that's a typical cat-trick but since her
bowl is staying full of food I really do think she's hungry. (I
have not given in! No Fancy Feast!)

When she first adopted me another vet told me her ideal weight was
11 lbs. Maybe I just got used to her being a 'fatty', but it feels
very odd to me to feel bones in her neck and her hips when I stroke
her. And then to see she's not really eating... maybe it's because
she's still being treated for the UTI (she's a good girl and lets me
give her the Clavamox drops twice a day) and still doesn't quite
feel well? She's acting okay otherwise. Running around, playing.
Kneading my side in the middle of the night ("Mom, I'm so glad
you're home! and me too!")

I don't know, what do you think? Was I just used to a fatter cat or
should I be concerned over the drop in weight and lack of enthusiasm
for this UR food?

I know the vet will call me today, but wanted input from my pals
here

Jill

Old April 10th 04, 03:40 PM
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
She was at 15 lbs. (she's a long cat) this time last Fall. Then she
developed a UTI in December and was down to about 12 lbs. Now she's
at 10 lbs. I've noticed she is not eating the UR food they've got
her on. She'll take a few bites, then just walk away. And she
meows at me constantly if I head for the kitchen, like "Please, I'm
starving!" Okay, I know that's a typical cat-trick but since her
bowl is staying full of food I really do think she's hungry. (I
have not given in! No Fancy Feast!)

Jill, that's an awful lot of weight for her to lose. I wouldn't worry
about that in itself, just the fact that she's not eating enough. I
wonder if the vet will let you switch to another food that she might
like better. Purrs for Persia to stay healthy!

Sherry

Sherry, I just got off the phone with the vet. He said the main thing right
now is to get her eating this weekend. He suggested water-packed tuna
stirred in with the dry food. Persia may be the only cat who doesn't like
tuna. He said, then try some Fancy Feast. Oh! She'll be thrilled to
hear/eat that! He also suggested something odd: chicken noodle soup mixed
in with the dry food. Really?! Hmmm, never would have thought of that.

On Monday I will pick up some of the UR canned food; he said she may prefer
that so we'll give it a try. Also said to cut her Clavamox to once a day to
stretch it out; this may be a lingering UTI which needs slower treatment and
a refill on the Rx.

I asked; they did blood tests and all that while she was boarded with them
(which would explain why the bill was over $300). Her kidney's are fine,
but now he's concerned with keeping her liver functions normal as she
recovers.

She's acting normally otherwise, but we need to keep her weight up and keep
her eating.

Persia and I thank you for the reply and concern, Sherry

Jill

Old April 10th 04, 03:48 PM
Adrian

jmcquown wrote:
SNIP
I know the vet will call me today, but wanted input from my pals here

Jill

I think I would be concerned too. If I was in your position I'd probaly give
in and let her have a little Fancy Feast once per day. Purrs that she soon
feels better.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old April 10th 04, 03:55 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , JP Hobbs at jphobbsREMOVE THIS
@dodo.com.au wrote on 4/10/04 7:23 AM:

Purrs to Persia I too would be concerned after having Henri
doing the same thing I think you should get him a blood test
that was the only way they found out what was wrong with him
he was 9-3.kl, and when I finally found that out, he was down to 5-6.kl
his kidneys were failing I could only keep him about a week after that
and had to have him put to sleep,hewas 13 1\2. I was devastated
Jean.P.

You know, I agree with this. It'll make you feel better to know the levels
are OK and it is all to easy to attribute weight loss to the stress of you
being gone or the UTI, and not do it, when often weight loss may be the only
early indicator of a more serious problem that you *could* nip in the bud if
you know about it.

Karen

Old April 10th 04, 04:01 PM
Sherry

Sherry, I just got off the phone with the vet. He said the main thing right
now is to get her eating this weekend. He suggested water-packed tuna
stirred in with the dry food. Persia may be the only cat who doesn't like
tuna. He said, then try some Fancy Feast. Oh! She'll be thrilled to
hear/eat that! He also suggested something odd: chicken noodle soup mixed
in with the dry food. Really?! Hmmm, never would have thought of that.

Let us know if she eats the Fancy Feast, ok? It just worries me when they get
"off" their food. I'm glad the vet seems concerned about protecting her liver
functions. Keeping enough food going through her system will help that.
If she dives into the Fancy Feast, we'll know she was just telling you she
doesn't *like* the new food.
Still purring!!
Sherry