I'm whineing tonight

Old October 2nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I'm whineing tonight

Christina Websell wrote:

I sympathise with you so much because you saved up for it, but my
advice is, and has always been *do not allow cats in your bedroom*
That is the one place in the house that my cats cannot go. Ever. Never.

I'm afraid this advice will mostly fall on deaf ears in this newsgroup,
Tweed. Most of us *like* to sleep with our kitties! And although I often
end up tossing mine out of the bedroom at some point during the night,
even I want to *start* the night off with feline company!

Besides, keeping cats out of the bedroom doesn't safeguard your expensive
stuff from damage, since most folks keep valuable items all over the house,
not just in the bedroom. (Anyway, a couch costs more to replace than a
mattress top. Not that I'm suggesting one deliberately sacrifice the
mattress top to keep the cats happy and away from the couch. )

Joyce
Old October 2nd 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Maybe the bedroom isn't the best place for the cats but, as my husband died
16 months ago, I don't know hwo I could have made it without their company
through some looonnngg nights. When nothing else helped, therir purring
often was the calming thing between sleep or no sleep. Playing bed mice was
the only thing I had to laugh about for many months. Things are getting
better but they are still my friends so, I'll deal with their bad habits,
once in awhile for the company. I just looked up at Willow bathing hrself on
the printer, O.T. is trying to figure out how to shredd some papers and
Piglet is sleeping, as usual in the softest chair. Bast does bless.
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Granby" wrote in message
It took me three months to save to buy the 4 inch memory foam bed topper.
I have left the bed uncovered many times while changing the sheets.
Tonight I went to town with my son for about thirty minutes or so. When
I got home, you would have thought it snowed in my bedroom. I turned on
the light to fnd three cats digging in the foam like they were looking
for live mice. Can save a few pieces to make sof pillows out of but that
it all!!! I have no idea where the fur balls are right now, and frankly
don't care at the moment.

I sympathise with you so much because you saved up for it, but my advice
is, and has always been *do not allow cats in your bedroom*
That is the one place in the house that my cats cannot go. Ever. Never.

Tweed

Old October 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Granby" wrote in message
Maybe the bedroom isn't the best place for the cats but, as my husband
died 16 months ago, I don't know hwo I could have made it without their
company through some looonnngg nights. When nothing else helped, therir
purring often was the calming thing between sleep or no sleep. Playing
bed mice was the only thing I had to laugh about for many months. Things
are getting better but they are still my friends so, I'll deal with their
bad habits, once in awhile for the company. I just looked up at Willow
bathing hrself on the printer, O.T. is trying to figure out how to shredd
some papers and Piglet is sleeping, as usual in the softest chair. Bast
does bless.

I had a husband die too.

Tweed

Old October 3rd 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Granby wrote:

Maybe the bedroom isn't the best place for the cats but, as my husband died
16 months ago, I don't know hwo I could have made it without their company
through some looonnngg nights. When nothing else helped, therir purring
often was the calming thing between sleep or no sleep. Playing bed mice was
the only thing I had to laugh about for many months. Things are getting
better but they are still my friends so, I'll deal with their bad habits,
once in awhile for the company.

I can really understand this. Years ago I went through a pretty traumatic
relationship ending, after 15 years of living together. Roxy and Smudge
made all the difference for me. (It also didn't hurt to have a bunch of
wonderful friends, but generally speaking, the friends didn't climb into
bed with me at night. ) I know exactly what you mean about their purring
being a calming influence, as well as their games. Roxy was still a kitten -
she was less than 6 months old when the poop hit the fan. She was so
adorable I would practically cry every time I looked at her.

Smudge was more my ex-partner's cat, but I ended up with her - long
story. I was so happy on the day when I found out I didn't have to give
her up - she and Roxy were really close, and I'd started getting pretty
attached to her myself. We were quite the threesome for several years,
until I did the unforgivable and started fostering kittens. That's how
I ended up with the black-and-white horror (from Smudge's perspective,
although I, as well as certain cats on this newsgroup, will heartily
disagree ).

And 16 months is just not a very long time, for healing after the death
of your spouse. I'm sure your cats have been wonderful, and therapeutic,
and fulfilling in their own right.

I just looked up at Willow bathing hrself on
the printer, O.T. is trying to figure out how to shredd some papers and
Piglet is sleeping, as usual in the softest chair. Bast does bless.

She does!

Joyce
Old October 3rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

if they couldn't come in the bedroom I wouldn't be any happier than they
would, ours aren't allowed in the office or the TV room, everywhere else is
fair game, Lee

Old October 3rd 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I realized when I figured out declaw was wrong that I didn't really like
cloth furniture anyway, Lee

Old October 3rd 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Ways for cats to wake you up

wrote:

It's the best of both worlds - some cuddle time with kitties early on,
and then some alone time when I can stretch out as much as I need to,
and don't end up with whining, demanding, heavy, or squabbling cats on
the bed (or on me), where I actually get contiguous minutes of sleeping!

I count myself lucky. Mir and Caliban usually sleep right through the
night. In the evening, I read in bed for a while, and Mir usually
follows me to bed almost imediately. She then walks all over the bed,
kneading and purring her tiny purr. This doesn't bother me, because I'm
still awake. Then she flops down with her head on my feet and her body
pressed up against my legs.

Caliban usually arrives after I turn off the light and settle down to
sleep. I can hear him come stomping in the dark, I feel him jump onto
the bed, and then I feel the bed rock violently as he gives Mir a
thorough wash. Then they both settle down and fall asleep.

Mir never does anything to wake me up, unless you count the huge thump
she can make when jumping off the bed - my slim little Mir can make a
sound like a cannonball just rolled out of bed. She has often left by
the time I wake up in the morning. Caliban usually sleeps until I wake
up. He stretches and rolls around a little, then he and I get up
together. But if I've slept exceptionally late, he comes and lays on top
of me and kneads me and purrs. This is a Good Thing, since I need to
take medicines at a certain time each morning.

Old October 3rd 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Caliban usually arrives after I turn off the light and settle down to
sleep. I can hear him come stomping in the dark, I feel him jump onto
the bed, and then I feel the bed rock violently as he gives Mir a
thorough wash.

LOL, perhaps your neighbors think you're having a racy night. But
then again, you did say you lived on the first floor. I guess that's
lucky.

I guess Caliban "won" the power struggle as to who would be the giver
of baths? That sounds really cute.

Unfortunately the only intra-feline interactions that take place on
my bed are squabbles, although generally they leave each other alone.
Roxy and Licky sometimes play fight. Nobody grooms anyone else around
here!

Joyce

Didn't grab the cat tonight dgk Cat health & behaviour 6 February 17th 07 01:43 PM
Tonight Pat Cat anecdotes 0 December 14th 06 05:02 AM
Ha! We set them up tonight ensoul Cat health & behaviour 0 September 8th 05 02:59 AM
Tonight Cheryl Cat anecdotes 15 January 31st 05 01:18 AM
Tonight O J Cat anecdotes 0 January 29th 05 09:04 PM