[OT] I'M SO PSYCHED!!!!!

Old December 4th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default [OT] I'M SO PSYCHED!!!!!

I've told you all about my son who is into modifying game stations (PS2,
PSP, XBox, etc.) - his site is http://www.acidmods.com/. I also told you
about a "project" he's working on that will pretty much revolutionize the
gaming market (he's flying to Barcelona on the 14th to work with Reebok on a
commercial they're doing featuring all the world's soccer stars - and that's
more than I could tell you before, but not as much as I'd like).

Well, in all his "spare time", he started noodling around with "Guitar Hero"
(I didn't even know such a game existed until he told me, but apparently
it's the hottest thing on the gaming market right now). He didn't like how
you had to watch a television screen as you learned how to play the notes
(real guitarists watch the guitar and their fingers while they're learning).
So he developed a mod to put the video screen *inside* the guitar (now
understand how thin a guitar is and the limited space you have on the box).
But that wasn't enough for him. Because the LCD took up the space where the
strummer resided and there was no way to strum the guitar, he decided to add
a magnetic switch under the body to allow him to play the guitar with a
magnetic pick. Still wasn't good enough - he added a touch panel to it too.

Now all the big gaming companies keep an eye on his site (that's how the
Reebok / Wii people found him) because they sell more of whatever game he's
currently modding and they like to keep one step ahead of the market. Most
of the big companies *pay* him to mod their games and are always sending him
free games asking him to do reveiws of their products (his site gets
millions of hits a day - apparently gaming is very popular now-a-days ; -
when he put the guitar mod on the web he got so many "hits" that it brought
the server down).

So today a representative from Sony called him to ask him if they could
feature him and his "Guitar Hero" mod in an upcoming issue of "Playstation
Magazine"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the direct link to the "Guitar Hero" mod in case you're interested in
that game: http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=11857.0

I told him he'd better buy me a nice house after he gets his first million!
;

BTW, anybody here live near Barcelona? I'd love for him to have a friend in
the area.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old December 4th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

[...]

He obviously got his brains from his mom... congrats and I hope he makes
his fortune.

Bobble
Old December 4th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! That's great! I'll bet you're really proud of him!

Joy

Old December 4th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Gee, can you tell! ; I'm bursting at the seams!!! He is just scary-smart.
Have I ever told you guys this....

He started talking when he was 6 months old, by the time he was a year old
he was speaking in short sentences. When he was 16 months old the following
happened: I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and noticed that the
cap was off the toothpaste (this was before they had snap-on caps), and
nowhere to be seen. I started grousing, "Who the heck took the cap off the
toothpaste and lost it?! This was a brand new tube of toothpaste, I just
bought it yesterday, and now it's ruined - it's going to get all dried out.
We can't afford to be buying toothpaste every other day!" and so on and so
forth. My son toddled into the bathroom, walked past me to the wastebasket,
lifted out the old, used-up toothpaste tube, unscrewed the cap, held it up
to me and said, "Mommy, use this.".............. *DOH!!!*

When he was 6 years old he was already reading. He was also always getting
into trouble in *very* imaginative ways. We had one of the first PCs made
and he liked to play on it, so I bought him a game thinking this would keep
him occupied for a week or two (back then $50 was a *LOT* of money to spend
on a game, but if it kept him out of trouble it was worth it). The game was
called something like "Space Traders" - the object of the game was to mine,
buy and sell ore (it taught children how to conduct "business" and kept them
interested by being fun and futuristic). You started out with a beat-up old
space ship (a cargo carrier) and 10,000 "credits". To win the game you had
to keep trading up until you had a fleet of ships and a certain "credit"
amount.

The trader stations were programmed to "haggle" with miners. They would
accept any offer that was 10% less than their initial asking price. They
set the value of ore by pricing it 10% more than what they bought it for, or
10% more than they last sold it for (you could buy ore rather than mine it
and then sell it back again). After playing the game for 15 minutes my son
figured out the pricing scheme. He went to the nearest mining planet,
filled his cargo hold up with the most common, cheapest ore. He then went to
a trading station and asked to buy one pound of that same ore. The trader
ask for 1 credit for the 1 pound of ore. My son counter-offered with 10,000
credits for the 1 pound of ore. Since the game was programmed to accept any
offer 10% less than their initial asking price, it accepted my son's offer.
Then, with the value of the ore at 10,010 credits per pound, my son offered
to sell his entire cargo hold full of that ore back to the trader. He used
those credits to buy his fleet of ships, pulled the same tactic but on a
much larger scale, and won the same in less than half an hour! At 6 years
old he out-thought the creators and programmers of the game.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Joy

Old December 4th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

[snip]

WOW - that is very impressive!! He's obviously very talented and I'm
glad he's being rewarded for it.

Joyce
Old December 5th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
I've told you all about my son who is into modifying game stations
Now all the big gaming companies keep an eye on his site (that's how
the Reebok / Wii people found him) because they sell more of whatever
game he's currently modding and they like to keep one step ahead of
the market. Most of the big companies *pay* him to mod their games

I certainly hope so! (the pay thing, I mean... otherwise they're just
stealing his modifications, aren't they?)

and are always sending him free games asking him to do reveiws of
their products (his site gets millions of hits a day - apparently
gaming is very popular now-a-days ; - when he put the guitar mod on
the web he got so many "hits" that it brought the server down).

LOL

So today a representative from Sony called him to ask him if they
could feature him and his "Guitar Hero" mod in an upcoming issue of
"Playstation Magazine"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to your son. You must be very proud!

Jill

Old December 5th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I've told you all about my son who is into modifying game stations
Now all the big gaming companies keep an eye on his site (that's how
the Reebok / Wii people found him) because they sell more of whatever
game he's currently modding and they like to keep one step ahead of
the market. Most of the big companies *pay* him to mod their games

I certainly hope so! (the pay thing, I mean... otherwise they're just
stealing his modifications, aren't they?)

No, I think I said that wrong... they can't use the mods in their products,
it's just that they sell more of their products when my son "mods" them. He
puts videos online instructing others how to mod them so they go out and buy
the game so they can do it themselves.

and are always sending him free games asking him to do reveiws of
their products (his site gets millions of hits a day - apparently
gaming is very popular now-a-days ; - when he put the guitar mod on
the web he got so many "hits" that it brought the server down).

LOL

So today a representative from Sony called him to ask him if they
could feature him and his "Guitar Hero" mod in an upcoming issue of
"Playstation Magazine"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to your son. You must be very proud!

I am very, very proud - I am in such awe of him. I can recognize a good
idea once I hear it, but I couldn't entice a good idea into my head with
caviar and Champaign! I have *NO* idea how he comes up with these things,
much less makes them once he does!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill

Old December 5th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Good grief! That *is* scary! I've known several smart kids, including my
own, but your son beats any kid I've ever known. How old is he now?

Joy

Old December 5th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

He started talking when he was 6 months old, by the time he was a year old
he was speaking in short sentences. When he was 16 months old the following
happened: I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and noticed that the
cap was off the toothpaste (this was before they had snap-on caps), and
nowhere to be seen. I started grousing, "Who the heck took the cap off the
toothpaste and lost it?! This was a brand new tube of toothpaste, I just
bought it yesterday, and now it's ruined - it's going to get all dried out.
We can't afford to be buying toothpaste every other day!" and so on and so
forth. My son toddled into the bathroom, walked past me to the wastebasket,
lifted out the old, used-up toothpaste tube, unscrewed the cap, held it up
to me and said, "Mommy, use this.".............. *DOH!!!*

My goodness. Outsmarted by a 1-year-old!! I guess the only time one doesn't
mind that happening is when it's your own kid.

Let's see, to do that, he would have to: understand what you were talking
about, understand that the cap from the old toothpaste can be used on the
new one, and remember that the old tube was in the trash. Eek.

[...]

LOL, I can barely read the above paragraph! (I am exceptionally "challenged"
at this sort of thing, which is odd, because I am good at math. But I go
all mushy-brained as soon as the subject turns to money, go figure.)

Wow, was he in special classes for gifted kids? Did he test in the genius
level (if you had that done)? These stories are amazing.

Joyce
Old December 5th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

He just made 34 in October. He's a late bloomer! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped