IAMS vs Whiskas?

Old June 7th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Suzie-Q[_3_]

Default IAMS vs Whiskas?

In article
,
Lord_Alex wrote:

Hello all, I'm new to the group and somewhat new to raising cats (I
had cats as a kid 10 years ago).

At the end of April I decided my house was too empty, so I went to the
local animal shelter and adopted two cats - a 6 month old female
shorthair (Xerxes) and a 2 year old male Persian ragdoll with super
fluffy long hair (Caesar). Spayed and neutered and they get along
great together.

Well after the first bag of food which the vet gave me, we switched to
Whiskas Meaty Selections. Both of them LOVE this stuff and everything
was normal.
They loved it so much and ate so often that I thought maybe the
Whiskas was like kitty junk-food. Feeling guilty, when the Whiskas ran
out I switched to IAMS ProActive Health with Chicken (IAMS is
"premium", correct?). I think they only eat this stuff because they're
hungry, it's only been a week. Caesar will sniff the bowl of food and
then proceed to "bury" it by going through the scratching motions on
the floor and walls. They have rubber claw covers so I'm not too
concerned with the scratching.

Within a day after switching to the IAMS food Caesar had diarrhea (BTW
not cool for a cat with his coat) but it only lasted 3 days. He still
tries to bury that food every time he walks by, but will eat it
reluctantly.
Xerxes on the other hand has started showing signs of a urinary
infection - I'm finding puddles. (Caesar likes to go outside, puddles
have shown up while he's out). Her litter box quickly took on an
incredibly powerful odor of ammonia, the kind of smell that can cut
glass and curls your teeth.

So last night I bought the Whiskas again and switched litter (it was
corn based, now it's recycled paper pellets). They both seemed VERY
happy about the change, ate ALL the food and promptly took turns using
the litter box. I'll find out later today if Xerxes left another
surprise, I'm really hoping she just didn't want to melt her skin
using the smelly litter.

What do you guys think? Did the switch to IAMS annoy my cats or did it
actually cause problems?

I don't know a lot about cat food. I do know that you
shouldn't switch foods suddenly like you did. You should
mix the foods for several days until the cats are eating
just the new food.

Iams is supposed to be one of the best foods, ingredient
wise. Whiskas is more like junk food, but still nutritious.
Not as good as Iams. I feed my cats Purina ONE. It's a good
quality food and they seem to like the taste. It's less
expensive than Iams.

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old June 8th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:06:46 -0500, Suzie-Q wrote:

In article
,
Lord_Alex wrote:

[...]

Yes, you need to switch food SLOWLY, gradually adding more of the 'new'
food, in with their previous food.

I have always been told by vets to take about two WEEKS to change foods,
to give their digestive system plenty of time to adjust to the new food.

As an aside, when one of my cats was quite elderly, and having some
health problems, I decided to switch her to Wellness, since it's
supposed to be one of the 'best' dry foods available.

I took about 2 1/2 weeks to make the change over.

About a week AFTER the change, my cat started having loose stools,
slowly getting worse over the next week or so.

I stitched my cat BACK to her previous food, Nutro, as fast as I thought
was 'safe', and the loose stools stopped almost immediately.

There is no doubt that Wellness is a 'better' cat food...but it's not
better for every cat.

And, it's quite expensive. I gave away most of a $45 bag

And, I agree that Whiskas is kind of 'junk food' for cats.

I would try switching to another, better cat food.

Basically, almost ANY cat food is better than Whiskas.

I would try Science Diet, since it s now carried at MANY stores,
including some 'discount' stores.

I know that Fleet Farm carries it, and puts it on sale pretty regularly.

And for all you 'canned food only' and even worse: all you nut cases,
militant 'raw food only' TROLLS, who are CERTAIN to show up in this
thread, sooner or later:

**BITE ME**

(**NOT** the FOUR LETTER words I'd LIKE to use, either).

I had two cats that lived to 16 and **18** years, with absolutely NO
health problems of ANY kind, until literally one or two DAYS before they
passed away, and they both ate either Iams, or Science Diet, DRY FOOD,
for their entire lives.

As one person has said, which I did not know: Iams used to be better
food, than it is now, so that may have helped, some.

SO THERE!

I hope your 'raw food only' cats have diarrhea ALL OVER your beds, and
your expensive leather sofa and easy chairs!

*Grumble* **EVERY NUT CASE IN THE WORLD** has a computer now. *grumble*.
Old June 9th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jodi

On 6/7/11 3:06 PM, Suzie-Q wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Just to balance this with the "other side":

When I first got Meep as a kitten, 15 years ago, the general
recommendation was to feed cats dry food. So for her first 6 years,
Meep ate only Iams dry. They she developed cystitis, which is a very
painful urinary infection. We battled frequent attacks over the next
couple of years, until I was finally able to get her on a completely wet
diet. Three different vets in three different countries told me that a
wet diet is better, for all cats but especially for my cystitis-prone kitty.

A couple of things happened as I converted her over to wet: Her skin
and fur improved, got glossy and soft. She dropped to a proper weight -
she was overweight before, even after I stopped feeding her dry as free
choice. She does NOT have diarrhea - quite the opposite, she gets
Miralax to keep her poops adequately soft. AND - the cystitis has gone
away almost completely.

AND: Every Single Time I've caved and given her dry food, even high
quality stuff like Wellness and similar. Every Time! She develops
cystitis.

Keep in mind, what your cat likes does not mean it is good for them!
The vet I had when we were first fighting the cystitis called Meep a
"junk food junkie". I call her a carboholic - she prefers stuff with
grains, even though it is bad for her. I know the feeling: I have the
same problem.

She's on 100% wet food now. I use Fancy Feast mostly, anything but the
"grilled" varieties aren't too bad quality. She also eats Max Cat, and
Natural Choice at the moment. I can't always afford the pet store
brands. Since she has been on 100% wet, her cystitis attacks have gone
from 4+ times yearly to maybe once every two years, and that requires
some sort of stress trigger.

I am not militantly against dry food, but I do think you are taking a
chance using it. Cystitis is no fun, and is dangerous, especially for
male cats (thankfully Meep is not male).

FWIW, I sort of fiddled with the idea of a raw diet for Meep to control
her health issues. She utterly refused to even try...

If you are still on the fence as to whether you should feed your kitties
wet or dry, talk to your vet. Sure, research on the 'net as you are
doing, but then take what you've learned here and talk to your vet.

jmc
Old June 9th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Jodi wrote in :

FWIW, I sort of fiddled with the idea of a raw diet for Meep to control
her health issues. She utterly refused to even try...

Mine loves raw food (ground turkey) with added minerals, etc. The only
thing I could feed her other than canned Wellness without her getting
diarrhea. But after a month or two of both Wellness and turkey (in separate
meals) she started the disrrhea again. Too bad, she much prefers it over
Wellness. Back to only Wellness again. Soft BMs sometimes but hardly ever
diarrhea.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Old June 10th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 9 Jun 2011 17:57:07 GMT, KenK wrote:

Jodi wrote in :

FWIW, I sort of fiddled with the idea of a raw diet for Meep to control
her health issues. She utterly refused to even try...

Mine loves raw food (ground turkey) with added minerals, etc. The only
thing I could feed her other than canned Wellness without her getting
diarrhea. But after a month or two of both Wellness and turkey (in separate
meals) she started the disrrhea again. Too bad, she much prefers it over
Wellness. Back to only Wellness again. Soft BMs sometimes but hardly ever
diarrhea.

I tried to get mine on a raw diet, figuring that that was what they
would eat in the wild. I got the frozen stuff (Steve's I think). They
really wouldn't touch it. Finally I gave up. It was a PITA to work
with since it had to be frozen, cost a lot, and they didn't like it.
We compromised on good quality wet food and everyone is reasonably
happy.
Old July 14th 11, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.UseNet
John Doe

Gandalf ingold1234(AT)yahoo(DOT)com (Gandalf) wrote:

[...]

Looks like you have serious communication problems. I can just
imagine what your posts would look like if you could color your
words. Creepy, IMO.
--

See also
ingold1234 news-2.mpls.iphouse.net
From: Gandalf ingold1234(AT)yahoo(DOT)com (Gandalf)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: IAMS vs Whiskas?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:54:46 GMT

Old July 15th 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.UseNet
cshenk

John Doe wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

[...]

Hi John, new to this thread but i think we are looking at a win7
'livemail' thread so it's not possible to address 'who said what'
because you can't tell. I use a freeware Xananews (works fine with
Win7) and don't have that problem on my win7 machine.

I'll address the issues instead with knowledge of who posted what ok?

1- dry food used to not be much recommended because there were few good
brands. IAMS and Science diet were fairly good in comparison for a
long time but they have no longer any real claim on that and in fact,
purina pro-plan is better now.

2- Wellness has a big reputation but has no grain free versions sold in
the Norfolk VA (USA) versions that I have ever seen (includes dogs and
cats). Since due to grain issues with mine, this is a must. My
uderstanding is they started grain free but lowered the quality while
keeping the price the same. Like IAMS and Science diet, they now seem
to trade on reputation while quality is declining fast.

3- the ethic for a time was 'wet is best' because large scale
statistics showed a much larger segment of cats living past age 15 if
fed wet most of their lives. Thats not all the picture though, they
didnt have the same quality of food in the dry. Today the statistics
show there is nothing wrong with dry food is a true quality product is
used.

4- I do not 'raw feed' my cat. She gets a fair amount (close to 30%
perhaps) of 'raw' but my vet advised against it as her only food and I
agree. It can be done, and done well it's the healthiest diet of all,
but I lack the time to adjust all the ingredients (or a source for
some) to make it really work. I do raw feed at 50% of their intake for
2 dogs.

5- I have the luck of the irish to have 1 cat and 2 dogs with grain
allergies. No, it's not that common and the cat can have a little
wheat gluten for 2 days safe if it happens by accident, with no issues.
The dogs range from 'significant' to 'high reactive'. Raw feeding
completely avoids this issue if you have the time to make it work.

6- Learn to read labels of cans and check each one for petfood. Roughly
4 of 10 versions of fancy feast are grain free. It's not advertized as
such but check, it's true.

Old July 16th 11, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.UseNet
Sylvia M[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to add this site...a good reference source:
http://www.petfoodratings.net/cats.html

This is pretty comprehensive and quite explicit, as well as lengthy.
But
now I'm getting rid of a lot of worthless wet food I have on hand, and
making a shopping list to find better food for my cat and new 10 week
kitten.