food dangers

Old March 18th 04, 05:52 AM
Sherry

Default food dangers

One would think, correctly, that working in an ER would generally help one's
fending off various communicable viruses (I sail through every flu season
without succumbing to any resp. or flu-type) but am a sure target for what
is commonly known as "stomach flu" (usually *not* airborne-spread). Years
ago I swore off public "salad bars" - so popular with the ubiquitous "senior
citizens" of our area ( usually all-you-can-eat, cheap) and have never been
sorry I did. If you sat near one while you dined, and kept a close watch at
what goes on in the line helping themselves to it, you might rethink salad
bars yourself.

HA!! How about the senior citizen brawl that erupted after one geezer handled
the food at a salad bar in a retirement home? Was that in your fair state? It
was bizarre. Several people got hauled off in ambulances...as for salad bars, I
swore off them, too, and buffet food in general. Not because of senior
citizens, but people who allow their kids to handle the food. Plus I heard that
stuff has a ton of MSG and other preservatives to keep it safe at room
temperature for so long.
Old March 18th 04, 07:28 AM
Hopitus2

No, the "bars" are simply *popular* on elders living on small incomes;
didn't mean to single them out as sole offenders re "food-handling",
"germ-spreading", etc. I meant the stupid health dept./restaurants seem to
believe that some kind of horizontal chest-level barricade keeps the food
free of any sort of contamination! No, didn't hear about "salad bar brawl"
of seniors......the ones in my near area punch each other out while
insulting each other waiting in line at "early-bird" movies amidst the
retirement homes here. A geezer knocked another one down, busting his head
open and killing him, after the deceased's old lady snarled at the puncher
to hurry it up getting his change out at the box office. Now dead geezer's
widow (snarler) is sueing not only puncher geezer, but the *movie house* for
not providing armed guards to protect the demented old people from each
other......top that with "salad bar brawls", Sherry.

"Sherry " wrote in message
: One would think, correctly, that working in an ER would generally help
one's
: fending off various communicable viruses (I sail through every flu season
: without succumbing to any resp. or flu-type) but am a sure target for
what
: is commonly known as "stomach flu" (usually *not* airborne-spread). Years
: ago I swore off public "salad bars" - so popular with the ubiquitous
"senior
: citizens" of our area ( usually all-you-can-eat, cheap) and have never
been
: sorry I did. If you sat near one while you dined, and kept a close watch
at
: what goes on in the line helping themselves to it, you might rethink
salad
: bars yourself.
:
:

Old March 18th 04, 07:45 AM

Hopitus2 wrote:

A geezer knocked another one down, busting his head
open and killing him, after the deceased's old lady snarled at the puncher
to hurry it up getting his change out at the box office. Now dead geezer's
widow (snarler) is sueing not only puncher geezer

Suing? Weren't there criminal charges? Killing someone is still illegal
in Florida, isn't it?

Joyce
Old March 18th 04, 08:59 AM
Sherry

No, didn't hear about "salad bar brawl"
of seniors......the ones in my near area punch each other out while
insulting each other waiting in line at "early-bird" movies amidst the
retirement homes here. A geezer knocked another one down, busting his head
open and killing him, after the deceased's old lady snarled at the puncher
to hurry it up getting his change out at the box office. Now dead geezer's
widow (snarler) is sueing not only puncher geezer, but the *movie house* for
not providing armed guards to protect the demented old people from each
other......top that with "salad bar brawls", Sherry.

I found the news article again, pasted below. It *was* your fair state after
all. Your old people are scary, Hop.
Sorry, I know it isn't funny, but I just howled at the at the snarling widow
suing the "movie house" for not providing geezer-bouncers. Suing! That's rich.
I see we are still a nation of "It's not my fault" whiners.

Sherry
Friday, March 5, 2004 ·

Seniors brawl after salad bar dispute

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- A dispute at the salad bar turned into a food fracas at
an upscale retirement home, with a man taking a bite out of another's arm and
other residents suffering minor injuries.

Police said resident Lee Thoss, 62, of the Spring Haven Retirement Community
was picking through the lettuce, which disgusted 86-year-old William Hocker,
who was standing in line behind him.

Hocker told Thoss no one wanted to eat food he had been playing with. Thoss
yelled and cursed at him, Hocker told police, and Hocker called him a nasty
name. Then, witnesses said, Thoss then began punching Hocker in the face.

In the buffet melee that followed, Allen Croft, 79, tried to grab Thoss, who
bit him on the arm, reports said.

Thoss' mother, Arlene, in her 80s and also a Spring Haven resident, jumped in
to break up the fight and ended up with a cut arm. Harry Griffin, 92, was
standing at the salad bar and cut his head when he was knocked to the ground.

"All the old folks were either getting up to help or trying to get out of
there," police spokesman J.J. Stanton said of the scene last Sunday in the
well-appointed dining room, which features an ice cream bar and a pastry chef.

Arlene Thoss, Croft and Griffin were treated at a local hospital and released.

Stanton said all involved declined to press charges, but home administrators
have asked Lee Thoss to move out.

Old March 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:28:22 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

[...]

I heard about both. My dad is in South Florida, and I hear about all
the stuff that goes on down there-- I was down there when the
punching geezer had his mistrial.
It's always a head-scratcher for me why there are so many people down
there spoiling for a fight-- especially, if you'll excuse the
expression, the geezers-- at places like salad bars and movie
theaters. For me it's a living example of how people can manage to
make things as easy and effortless as they can possibly be, and still
be a pain in the @ss.
When I go down there, it's usually in the middle of the NYC winter,
and I arrive as crabby as could be. In about ten minutes, I'm on the
patio with a mojito, watching the geckos, and feeling no pain at all.

I recommend more mojitos!

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 18th 04, 02:00 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:24:53 GMT, O J yodeled:

On Thu, 18 Mar, Joyce wrote:

Hopitus2 wrote:

A geezer knocked another one down, busting his head
open and killing him, after the deceased's old lady snarled at the puncher
to hurry it up getting his change out at the box office. Now dead geezer's
widow (snarler) is sueing not only puncher geezer

Suing? Weren't there criminal charges? Killing someone is still illegal
in Florida, isn't it?

Joyce

There was a hung jury. They didn't want to put the geezer in jail,
possibly for the rest of his life.

Old March 18th 04, 02:02 PM
Kreisleriana

On 18 Mar 2004 08:59:28 GMT, itty (Sherry ) yodeled:

[...]

The part about the salad bar that got me, was the 60-year old young
whippersnapper in the retirement home, getting into it with the 80-
year old. And of course, the 60-year-old's mother is there. What is
going on here?

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Old March 18th 04, 07:46 PM
Jo Firey

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
[...]

They must have been the elderly parents of some of our local t-ball parents.
I really don't know what happened, but 15 minutes into a game the refs had
to call the game and clear the field and the stands over the way the parents
on the "opposing teams" were behaving. T-ball, no scoring, 5-6 year olds
mind you.

Jo

Old March 18th 04, 10:28 PM

Kreisleriana wrote:

When I go down there, it's usually in the middle of the NYC winter,
and I arrive as crabby as could be. In about ten minutes, I'm on the
patio with a mojito, watching the geckos, and feeling no pain at all.

I recommend more mojitos!

I recommend more Florida patios! (I don't drink - not very much,
any more. I just get sleepy and cranky, like a 2-year-old who hasn't
had her nap. No fun at all!)

I'm going to be going there myself, April 4-12, to visit my family.
They *all* live there. Even the young ones. (Well, the young-*ish*
ones - the youngest person from my immediate family is 43.) We're
from the Boston area originally, but nobody liked Massachusetts
weather. They all moved south, and I moved west.

One of my sisters lives on the east coast, about an hour's drive north
of Palm Beach Cty. She just moved there, so I don't remember the name
of the town. She found Boynton Beach, where she last lived, "too congested".
That cracks me up - it's so sprawled out compared to where I live!

Then we'll visit the rest of the clan up north - my mom, dad, other
sister, and other sister's progeny all live in the Daytona area.

This probably doesn't mean much to most of you reading this, but I
thought Hopitus and others familiar with the former Doofus State might
be interested.

Joyce - in the current Doofus State
Old March 18th 04, 11:42 PM
Yoj

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

I assume you're the Doofus State that has Der Gropenfuhrer for a
Governor? So am I, but I'm a native.

Joy

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
pet food recall Lydia Cat anecdotes 1 October 27th 03 09:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM