food dangers

Old March 21st 04, 02:54 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:43:22 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

Native's tip for avoiding bodily injury or worse from source mentioned by
Joyce: if you see what appears to be a vehicle (usually but not guaranteed a
Buick, Olds, Caddy or Lincoln)
"driving itself" with no visible driver behind wheel, *or* tiny little head
just visible Below level of steering wheel, it's NOT a child driver, but the
most feared local threat on wheels. Avoid close proximity any way possible.

Heee heee, that's just what I wrote before I read this.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 21st 04, 02:58 PM
Kreisleriana

On 21 Mar 2004 00:54:23 -0800, (Grinder) yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:28:22 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

No, the "bars" are simply *popular* on elders living on small incomes;
didn't mean to single them out as sole offenders re "food-handling",
"germ-spreading", etc. I meant the stupid health dept./restaurants seem to
believe that some kind of horizontal chest-level barricade keeps the food
free of any sort of contamination! No, didn't hear about "salad bar brawl"
of seniors......the ones in my near area punch each other out while
insulting each other waiting in line at "early-bird" movies amidst the
retirement homes here. A geezer knocked another one down, busting his head
open and killing him, after the deceased's old lady snarled at the puncher
to hurry it up getting his change out at the box office. Now dead geezer's
widow (snarler) is sueing not only puncher geezer, but the *movie house* for
not providing armed guards to protect the demented old people from each
other......top that with "salad bar brawls", Sherry.

I heard about both. My dad is in South Florida, and I hear about all
the stuff that goes on down there-- I was down there when the
punching geezer had his mistrial.
It's always a head-scratcher for me why there are so many people down
there spoiling for a fight-- especially, if you'll excuse the
expression, the geezers-- at places like salad bars and movie
theaters. For me it's a living example of how people can manage to
make things as easy and effortless as they can possibly be, and still
be a pain in the @ss.

It's really pretty plain why this sort of thing occurs. Many of the
retirees are, not to put too fine a point on it, obnoxious Yankees
from New York and New Jersey. You can get a mild idea of what they
are like from the Seinfeld episodes where he visited the condo in
Florida that his parents lived in.

Oh dear. I didn't know it was because of their geographical origins.
My dad is a retiree from NYC, but I can't remember him whacking
anybody, or even giving a dirty look.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Old March 21st 04, 03:34 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:06:02 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

Thank you, dude, for revealing the truth that I restrained myself carefully
from posting, trying to keep rpca a friendly, non-combative, non-judgemental
discussion atmosphere, and flame-free. The folks you out-and-out name do
not, in their dotage, flock to the state I'm planning to move to before
long.......bada** cold winters there, which I will have to get used to, but
the entire state's population is less than the present total pop. of my
hometown, and the average resident age is 34. To each his own.

The turn this discussion has taken, is just upsetting me now.. I'm
from Brooklyn New York, and so is my father, who has retired to South
Florida, and this behavior is as weird, unreasonable and obnoxious to
us as it is to everyone else.

Old March 21st 04, 04:44 PM
Hopitus2

Don't take it personally, kid. The bottom line is not their *origin*, it's
the sheer *volume*, from just a few northern states, that is the root of the
local jokes, etc. re strange geezer behavior. How people had to behave to
survive in their native areas for many years sometimes causes
misunderstandings when they become "transplants" as we FL natives call them.
For example, when I finally get out west I fully expect to be forced to
explain details of living in my Doofus State, much less voting in it, LOL.
Your dad will stick with friends from his northern origin (they quickly find
each other and travel in groups here), and if he's like most of them, will
never even be aware of their reputations, deserved or otherwise, in this,
the promised land of always-warm and no-state-income-tax. OTOH, I fear I'll
find very few old Floridians who migrated to Colorado to spend their golden
years......

:

Old March 21st 04, 04:48 PM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

Thank you, dude, for revealing the truth that I restrained myself carefully
from posting, trying to keep rpca a friendly, non-combative, non-judgemental
discussion atmosphere, and flame-free. The folks you out-and-out name do
not, in their dotage, flock to the state I'm planning to move to before
long.......bada** cold winters there, which I will have to get used to, but
the entire state's population is less than the present total pop. of my
hometown, and the average resident age is 34. To each his own.

North Dakota??

Pam S. who has never met any one from North Dakota

Old March 21st 04, 05:16 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:44:16 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

[...]

My father is very much aware of the behavior you-- we-- have been
discussing, and he finds it as obnoxious and inconveniencing and
embarassing-- and as weird-- as you or anyone else does. He/we
certainly don't recognize it as typical Northeastern behavior simply
transplanted to an easier climate. It would be obnoxious in any
environment.

Old March 21st 04, 06:01 PM
Jette Goldie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a curious question for you.

Vacationers.

I know Florida is a popular vacation spot - UK and US folks.

I know that the two weeks we'll be there are the "Easter
Fortnight" for us UK folks. Fair chance we'll meet a lot of
fellow Brits. I've been told that it is "Spring Break" for
many US folks.

What sort of mix are we likely to meet? Is it likely to be
more Brits than US, or vice versa? Other nationalities?

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old March 21st 04, 06:16 PM
Hopitus2

No, no, Pam, it's the Evil 3's TED who is from North Dakota.....he was stuck
there after a family-visit vacation during 9/11/2001 for over a week (!)
until airline service resumed. He says N.D. is low on priority list of
airline "hub" cities...like, it doesn't have any, and was he frustrated. He
had to prevail on a vet pal (female) whom the Evil 3 & I met in his stead
just prior to our post-9/11 visit to Denver that year. FYI I don't think
there are very many people living in N.D. at *all*, since no primaries were
held there that I know of.....and Kerry didn't roll through either. BTW,
don't you think it would be the kind thing to do to inform poor Cap'n Pine
Cone esq. that alt.cats.world.domination ng is and has been defunct for some
time?

"Tanada" wrote in message
k.net...
:
:
:

Old March 21st 04, 08:14 PM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

No, no, Pam, it's the Evil 3's TED who is from North Dakota.....he was stuck
there after a family-visit vacation during 9/11/2001 for over a week (!)
until airline service resumed. He says N.D. is low on priority list of
airline "hub" cities...like, it doesn't have any, and was he frustrated. He
had to prevail on a vet pal (female) whom the Evil 3 & I met in his stead
just prior to our post-9/11 visit to Denver that year. FYI I don't think
there are very many people living in N.D. at *all*, since no primaries were
held there that I know of.....and Kerry didn't roll through either. BTW,
don't you think it would be the kind thing to do to inform poor Cap'n Pine
Cone esq. that alt.cats.world.domination ng is and has been defunct for some
time?

LOL, I keep trying to convince him that the group is no more, but he
won't listen. I think he's going to try to revive it on his own, or
something.

You actually KNOW someone from North Dakota? WOW, I think the
population is 300 people and 30,000 expatriated Scandinavians. At least
the ones that didn't migrate to Washington and Idaho. No offense to
real or imagined Scandinavians in this group. It's just that it's
freaking cold in North Dakota and you'd have to be from Scandinavia to
feel comfortable there.

BTW, I've read in a biography of Victor Belenko (he defected to the us
complete with MIG-25) that he thought Eastern Washington was very like
Siberia. So North Dakota doesn't have a monopoly on this sort of thing.

Pam S. probably eating her feet again

Old March 21st 04, 08:46 PM

Hopitus2 wrote:

The folks you out-and-out name do
not, in their dotage, flock to the state I'm planning to move to before
long.......bada** cold winters there, which I will have to get used to, but
the entire state's population is less than the present total pop. of my
hometown, and the average resident age is 34. To each his own.

Which state is this?

Joyce

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
pet food recall Lydia Cat anecdotes 1 October 27th 03 09:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM