Cat Claw Ripped Out

Old August 11th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bgarland2011

Default Cat Claw Ripped Out

Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

My cat seems to have ripped out one of the claws on his front left paw.
Until last night he had seemed fine even after this happened. He wasn't
limping, was still very playful, and still continued to jump up onto things
just like normal. Then last night he jumped up into the chair next to me one
time and immediately began to cry like he was in pain. Now he has a
noticeable limp, and while he still wants to play and run around I can tell
that it is bothering him.

Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

Old August 11th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
feel if you ripped out a finger nail?

Old August 11th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

Take him to the vet. He may need to be put on an antibiotic f to
guard against infection and if to badly injured it might need to be
wrapped to keep out dirt and such like when it uses litter box.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old August 11th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bgarland2011

That was my gut instinct as well, I was just hoping that there was maybe
something that I could do for him. I will work on getting him an appointment.

The Polish-Kraut wrote:
Take him to the vet. He may need to be put on an antibiotic f to
guard against infection and if to badly injured it might need to be
wrapped to keep out dirt and such like when it uses litter box.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
feel if you ripped out a finger nail?

Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

Old August 11th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

You will be doing the best you can for it by takeing it to the vet
ASAP.

Our prayers and purrs are on the way for you and your baby.

Good luck.

Old August 11th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

Bgarland2011 wrote:
That was my gut instinct as well, I was just hoping that there was maybe
something that I could do for him. I will work on getting him an appointment.

When that happened to our cat we used some antisceptic cream made for
dogs and cats, before we took her to the vet. However, our cat never
appeared to be in pain, although there was some blood from the nail
bed. The vet said just to leave it alone unless there were signs of
infection, although he did put something else on it. We never knew how
she ripped the claw out, and it did grow back. I agree, take him to the
vet just to make sure it's not infected and doesn't become infected
later.
-yngver

Old August 12th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:33:56 GMT, "Bgarland2011" u25195@uwe wrote:

Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

There aren't any home remedies other than keeping the cat inside and
quiet. You ought to take your cat to the vet if the wound is still
bleeding or if it looks swollen or infected. Cats can aggravate the
wound if they bite or lick it. An e-collar could be needed to keep
the cat from bothering the wound. Antibiotics could be needed to
treat an infection.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Old August 12th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Bgarland2011 wrote:
Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

This is called an avulsed nail. It needs to be surgically removed.

-L.