Update: Cat Introduction - Difficult yet fascinating...

Old August 6th 04, 11:55 AM
Karen Chuplis

Default Update: Cat Introduction - Difficult yet fascinating...

in article , Brian Link at
wrote on 8/6/04 1:24AM:

(Story to date: Henry the stray has been living with us for a month
with other-cat-experienced Tiger aged 10, and Louis age 2, who has
only known Tiger since Tiger lovingly adopted him at age 6 weeks)

Very mixed results introducing Henry to our two resident cats.

1. When announcing "Treat!", which Henry seems to have learned after
only one recitation, Henry and Tiger leap over each other, bump
against each other, lick each others' face, and seem oblivious to the
murderous intent each has exhibited in the past. I wonder if Henry
just reads the excitement of the other cats and realizes something
really great is coming out of the cupboard..?

2. Henry REALLY loves catnip. He was so stoned tonight that Louis the
Bengal decided he'd try a few faux charges toward him. Henry totally
ignored them. However, as he started to sober up, he fixed a glare on
Louis that utterly deflated his bravado and made him slink away..

3. After being reduced to hiding each time Henry made his appearance,
Tiger has returned to playfully batting Henry when he gets too close.
Henry seems to withstand 2 or 3 of these, before he arches his back,
lowers his head and ears and prepares for a death strike...

4. Spoke to a "cat behavioralist" vet today who told me two
interesting things.. Firstly, that hormone levels take a month to drop
after neutering (our vet said 2 weeks) and that in her experience cats
just need to duke it out to establish their rank. She also suggested
using a Flower Essence called "Rescue Potion", just a drop rubbed
under the ear, to calm the cats.

5. We've had a few screaming all-hell-broken-loose fights, some
involving all three cats (very heartening that Tiger sticks up for his
"little brother" Louis). Miraculously, there is never any blood or
even dislodged claw sheathes. A helluva lot of fur, though. On top of
it, Henry is quick to disengage and I haven't been mauled yet. I
notice that often attacks go for the back of the neck, which in a cat
is extremely thick tissue. This must be the analogue of two rams
bashing their heads together.

6. Henry's regular vet laughed at our anguish over the labored
introduction. "Give it three months before you get worried." was what
he told us.

Very entertaining - but I have to say as one of those people who love
cats more than is rational that it's also quite stressful on me as
well. "Can't we all just get along?"

Finally, though the vet estimated 1-2 years old, Henry can't be much
older than a year or so. He's gawky and gangly like an adolescent. He
eats like a horse, and has gained 2 pounds since he came to live with
us. Though he's bigger and younger than the other two cats, if I were
a betting man I'd still put my money on Louis if it came to blows. The
brief battles they have had convince me even more that, even as an
F-10 or so, that Leopard Cat blood courses hot in his veins. The growl
he's suddenly discovered is in a different league altogether than any
domestic cat I've ever known.

In quarantine, interacting with people, Henry is drop-dead adorable.
He even does the 'rubbing face on face' thing that poor old Howard
did, though he drools enough to make me grab a tissue when he hops on
the bed.

Despite all the anguish, moments like tonight when Henry and Tiger
played with a string together give me hope.

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech

I'd say there is hope. It is stressful. I have found with Pearl that as SOON
as anything starts, I give her a time out in the bedroom. Within even five
munites when I let her out, she will then ignore the other cats. It's taken
us almost two years. But we were never at the stage you ata as early as you
are. I do adavise the "bedroom" vacation at least for a bit each night, so
everyone gets a bit of totally stress free time.