To catnip or not to catnip?

Old March 20th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default To catnip or not to catnip?

I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.

Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.

Thoughts?

Much appreciatd!
Old March 20th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

I have never heard that it is bad for them.

LOL :-)

We have two house cats right at the moment and one loves the catnip
and the other has no effect from catnip whatsoever. I read somewhere
that it is a genetic thing, whether a cat is effected by it or not,
some cats just don't get "high" from catnip.

The downside, over here at my house, is that the cat who enjoys it
gets downright nasty when he partakes of it, so I try to limit his
intake...

It is funny to watch though...
Old March 20th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.

Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.

Your wife stands ready to suck all the joy out of life if she
objects to anything messy. IF you know what I mean and I
THINK that you do.

Catnip is GREAT for cats. Clean up the mess yourself. And consider
a wife who loves life more than clean.

Old March 20th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I want to know why mine eat the catnip. I give them some dry catnip and
they proceed to eat it. Hmmm....

S.
---

Old March 20th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_3_]

wrote in message
I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.

Are there any health issues, or things to know?

Nope. They love it and it makes them happy. Why deny them?

Old March 21st 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 20, 12:45*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote in message

I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. *In googling I
don't see much on it here. *We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.

Are there any health issues, or things to know? *My theory is cats &
dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
spoil 'em rotten. *If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
and I love to watch it, why not? *But my wife says it's bad for them.
She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.

Your wife stands ready to suck all the joy out of life if she
objects to anything messy. IF you know what I mean and I
THINK that you do.

Catnip is GREAT for cats. Clean up the mess yourself. And consider
a wife who loves life more than clean.

Point taken, but a bit harsh on the wife. I hope that was LOADS of
sarcasm, but I'd say to you - consider a post that answers the
question more than it offends.

Old March 21st 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

**** off.

Old March 21st 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 20, 9:56 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote:
sarcasm, but I'd say to you - consider a post that answers the
question more than it offends.

**** off.

Actually, catnipped made a really good point. Cats love catnip, no one
disputes catnip as a health issue... feed away ;-)

I got a good chuckle out of this...

But if you are not giving catnip because of the mess... that does kind
of make a person wonder... you know???

The mess? You don't have to throw down a cupful of the stuff!