Cat barfs every time she eats after 3-4 hours w/o food.

Old February 20th 04, 10:24 AM
ron barry

Default Cat barfs every time she eats after 3-4 hours w/o food.

I have a siamese mix, about 3.5 years old, that is fine on her food
(science diet light - she won't eat anything else) unless her bowl is
left empty for a few hours. When that happens, no matter what I do,
she ends up barfing up whatever she eats. This has been going on for
years. Her kitten (about 3 years old) does not have the same problem.

She doesn't chew her food at all, regardless of when it was that she
last ate.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks...

rOn
Old February 20th 04, 05:49 PM
Mary

"ron barry" wrote in message
om...
I have a siamese mix, about 3.5 years old, that is fine on her food
(science diet light - she won't eat anything else) unless her bowl

is
left empty for a few hours. When that happens, no matter what I do,
she ends up barfing up whatever she eats. This has been going on

for
years. Her kitten (about 3 years old) does not have the same

problem.

She doesn't chew her food at all, regardless of when it was that she
last ate.

Anyone have any ideas?

Why leave her bowl empty at all? Is she overweight? Lots of cats do
fine with free feeding. Sometimes the simple solution is the best.
(Post some photos or links, I love Siamese cats!)

Old February 21st 04, 01:57 AM
Hailey

In addition to what the others said, cats really don't chew their
food regardless. They have no molars, and their teeth are designed to
rip flesh from bones. The minimal "chewing" that most cats do is
really little more than chipping their dry food into slightly smaller
bits- if at all.

Laura

Oh wow! Sometimes I am so slow. I watch the boys with their treats and James
literally swallows it. I could never even figure it out. Tucker actually
chews his into tiny pieces, and they start out tiny LOL
I guess that'd be why, so cats who swallow, which appears is normal, don't
choke!
I think I learn something new here every day!

Hailey

Old February 21st 04, 02:01 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"ron barry" wrote in message
om...
I have a siamese mix, about 3.5 years old, that is fine on her food
(science diet light - she won't eat anything else) unless her bowl is
left empty for a few hours. When that happens, no matter what I do,
she ends up barfing up whatever she eats. This has been going on for
years. Her kitten (about 3 years old) does not have the same problem.

She doesn't chew her food at all, regardless of when it was that she
last ate.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks...

Does she throw it up right away, & does it look basically like it did in the
bowl, only now it's damp & warmer? ;-) My first cat did this very often,
throughout her life, yet she was one very healthy cat. As Laura mentioned
in her reply in this thread, cats often don't actually chew their food, & SD
Light (my cats eat it, too) is little & round - probably quite easy for cats
to swallow whole.

Sounds gross, but have you watched to see if she will re-eat her food once
it's thrown up, & if it then stays down the second time around?

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 21st 04, 05:22 AM
Fan

On 20 Feb 2004 02:24:18 -0800, (ron barry) wrote:

I have a siamese mix, about 3.5 years old, that is fine on her food
(science diet light - she won't eat anything else) unless her bowl is
left empty for a few hours. When that happens, no matter what I do,
she ends up barfing up whatever she eats. This has been going on for
years. Her kitten (about 3 years old) does not have the same problem.

She doesn't chew her food at all, regardless of when it was that she
last ate.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks...

rOn

My purebred applehead Siamese used to throw up quite often. He has
outgrown that, but still does it occationally. It seems to do no harm.
My previous purebred appleheads did not do this. The current applehead
mix has never done it. I have not heard other Siamese owners
complaining either.

The dry food dishes are never allowed to be empty so that was not a
factor for him. One trick that I have heard of to slow down a dog that
eats too fast is to spread the food out on the floor instead of
putting it in a bowl. It takes more time to gather it up that way.

A vet suggested giving my cat hairball treatments, but I saw no
difference when doing that versus not doing it. The vet was not
worried and again, it seemed to do the cat no harm. As in your case,
it appeared as if the food was swallowed whole, but I didn't inspect
it that carefully.

There was an issue of getting up in the middle of the night for the
bathroom, for me. I never found a solution to the problem of steping
in it with bare feet. Perhaps slippers? :-)