Run little mink, run!!!!

Old August 29th 03, 08:09 AM
bewtifulfreak

Default Run little mink, run!!!!

Nanny wrote:
That kind of thing has happened several times here too. Most of the
minks can't survive in the wild anymore and die or become road
kill............. The minks that are caught aren't identifiable, so
young ones can't be returned to their own mothers.

That's a shame....wish they just wouldn't capture or breed them in the first
place. Fur belongs on animals, and wild animals belong in the wild!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 29th 03, 08:23 AM
Nanny

Absolutely ! They should try to get rid of the fur farms.

--
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"bewtifulfreak" schreef in bericht

Old August 29th 03, 06:31 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Yeah, that's why they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Releasing these animals into the wild pretty much is a death sentence for
them. If they want folks to stop breeding them, they should focus their
efforts on education of the general public.
And no, I don't think ruining somebody's fur coat with paint qualifies as
education. That's assault and shouldn't be encouraged or promoted.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 29th 03, 09:27 PM
bewtifulfreak

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
Yeah, that's why they say the road to hell is paved with good
intentions. Releasing these animals into the wild pretty much is a
death sentence for them. If they want folks to stop breeding them,
they should focus their efforts on education of the general public.
And no, I don't think ruining somebody's fur coat with paint
qualifies as education. That's assault and shouldn't be encouraged or
promoted.

I agree. All you do with behavior like that is make yourself look ignorant,
and totally shut people's minds to your message. But I do hope there are
other groups working in a more productive manner to save animals from being
used in this way, it truly is heartbreaking.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 29th 03, 10:06 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

bewtifulfreak wrote:

Nanny wrote:
That kind of thing has happened several times here too. Most of the
minks can't survive in the wild anymore and die or become road
kill............. The minks that are caught aren't identifiable, so
young ones can't be returned to their own mothers.

That's a shame....wish they just wouldn't capture or breed them in the first
place. Fur belongs on animals, and wild animals belong in the wild!

However, from all I've read, mink are singularly nasty, vicious,
destructive little animals. That doesn't excuse breeding them just to
kill them for their skins, but releasing hoardes of them into the
ecosphere isn't doing other wild-life any favours!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 30th 03, 07:26 AM
Nanny

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
bewtifulfreak wrote:

Nanny wrote:
That kind of thing has happened several times here too. Most of the
minks can't survive in the wild anymore and die or become road
kill............. The minks that are caught aren't identifiable, so
young ones can't be returned to their own mothers.

That's a shame....wish they just wouldn't capture or breed them in
the first place. Fur belongs on animals, and wild animals belong in
the wild!

However, from all I've read, mink are singularly nasty, vicious,
destructive little animals. That doesn't excuse breeding them just to
kill them for their skins, but releasing hoardes of them into the
ecosphere isn't doing other wild-life any favours!

Well, as I said, I agree it wasn't the way to go, but as you said, they
shouldn't be used that way. And I don't think any animals are nasty per

se;
they do what is necessary to live. I mean, one could say a tiger is
viscious, but only to the extent it needs to be to survive. I doubt

they're
just viscious for the heck of it, which is more than I can say for a lot

of
people....

Ann

I couldn't agree more with you, Ann. Any animal that isn't really fit to be
a pet is nasty and vicious when you look at it in a certain way.
Some people want to try to have minks as pets, and most of the time it
doesn't really work, cause they're just not the right pet material, and when
they bite they usually go all the way. I think that's why they have that
bad reputation, and comparing that with "your" tiger, that would kill when
you took it in as a pet, and everyone would find that natural.
I'm a ferret owner, and I see some ferret owners thinking, that if they have
ferrets they could also have a mink. Nothing is less true !

Nanny

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 31st 03, 02:54 PM
Sherry

Yeah, that's why they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Releasing these animals into the wild pretty much is a death sentence for
them. If they want folks to stop breeding them, they should focus their
efforts on education of the general public.
And no, I don't think ruining somebody's fur coat with paint qualifies as
education. That's assault and shouldn't be encouraged or promoted.

I am very much an anti-fur trade activist, to the extent that I can be, but
even I would never do that. Thankfully, fur isn't really "in" like it used to
be. The hardest thing for me is our annual black-tie, formal charity auction.
It's a very hoity-toity affair and is designed to bring out the "big money"
and targeted for that group. But the little old blue-haired (very wealthy)
ladies always wear their fur. It just kills me. Not just mink either; even
lynx, and I didn't even know they made coats out of lynx. I almost chew my
tongue off every year to keep from saying something. I know these little old
ladies have had their furs for twenty years and just *wait* for an occasion to
wear them and don't really know better. But it just screams "oxymoron" to wear
fur to a Humane society event.

Sherry
Old August 31st 03, 03:51 PM
Marina

"Sherry " wrote
[...]

Argh! I don't think I could hold my tongue. It's illegal to hunt lynx here,
but maybe it's legal over there? I sincerely hope they don't farm lynx for
their fur. shudder

--
Marina

Old September 1st 03, 04:24 AM
Sherry

Argh! I don't think I could hold my tongue. It's illegal to hunt lynx here,
but maybe it's legal over there? I sincerely hope they don't farm lynx for
their fur. shudder

--
Marina

It probably is now. I'm guessing these little old ladies have owned these coats
for decades. Just out of curiousity I did a search just now on e-bay, keywords
"lynx coat." Several came up. Looking at them just made me sick, just sick.
They are such magnificent animals. I've always had a real affinity for them and
have been searching recently for lynx artwork.

Sherry
Old September 1st 03, 04:42 AM
Marina

"Sherry " wrote

It probably is now. I'm guessing these little old ladies have owned these

coats
for decades. Just out of curiousity I did a search just now on e-bay,

keywords
"lynx coat." Several came up. Looking at them just made me sick, just

sick.
They are such magnificent animals. I've always had a real affinity for

them and
have been searching recently for lynx artwork.

Yes, I love them too. Lynx are the only wild cat we have here in
Scandinavia. I would love to see anything you find.

--
Marina