Central Park Coyote

Old March 24th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Central Park Coyote

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:00:33 -0000, "Adrian A"
yodeled:

wrote:
dnr wrote:

Yeah, too oblique a statement. I don't like and have never been

able to relate to canines The Spitz chasing me, at age 2, into the
barbed- wire fence might have something to do with that.....LOL.

Oh, I see. You aren't fond of dogs, so it's harder to have sympathy
for a canine. OK, I'll buy that. That must have been a pretty
frightening (not to mention painful) experience for you at that age!

Joyce

Funnily enough, that's the age I was when I was first scratched by a cat, I
was chasing Figaro round the garden, thinking it was a game, she got tired
of the game, stopped, turned round and scrathed me down both legs. It hurt
and they bled a lot, but I learned a valuable lesson and I still loved
afterwards. This picture was taken 15 years later, a few months before she
died.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75823146SifSmF

Wow. My first cat scratch was at age 3, the first time I was jumped on
by a dog, at age 4. The cat was a big brown tabby who regularly
visited my grandma, and sat in her garden. I thought he was so
fascinating, with his tail, his whiskers, his stripes, and his
beautiful green eyes! I was following him around the garden,
fascinated with his tail, and grabbed it. He turned around
*incredibly* fast and scratched me. I screamed like a banshee. How
dare he! If he didn't want me to play with it, why did he wave it
around like that?

Of course, people have been using that same excuse for sexual
harassment for years.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 24th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev A. wrote:

Just that some urban areas are close to forests, have dense woods
nearby, but the island of Manhattan is not comparable to those types
of urban areas. Central Park is smack-dab in the middle of the
"concrete jungle" not like say... Beaverton or Portland OR (where I
did spend some time living) where one finds displaced wildlife on a
regular basis.

The OP said it was "sad" and "stupid" that the coyote was removed from
the park, but IMO (and everyone has one of those) it was a successful
rescue operation. The beautiful coyote is safe and will be relocated
to an area more suitable to coyotes.

True! Even though I'm sure Central Park has its share of
resident "wild life", most of it is more on the order of
birds and rodents (including squirrels and rabbits).
Although coyottes generally do not attack humans (as
panthers and cougars might), you really can't have wild
animals roaming free in an urban park where no one expects
them, and there are children to consider.

Old March 24th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian A wrote:

She was almost 20 when she died, 4 years older than me. When I was very
small I thought everyone was supposed to live with a cat. ;-)

You mean they're NOT?????

Old March 24th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian A wrote:
Funnily enough, that's the age I was when I was first scratched by a
cat, I
was chasing Figaro round the garden, thinking it was a game, she got
tired
of the game, stopped, turned round and scrathed me down both legs. It
hurt
and they bled a lot, but I learned a valuable lesson and I still loved
afterwards. This picture was taken 15 years later, a few months before
she
died.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75823146SifSmF

Sweet! And she lived a long life! Must've been all that exercise you
gave her.
Joyce

Figaro was very pretty. She has that "I can deal with anything" feline
look: probably from living w/a teen male, no matter how much he loved her.

Old March 24th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Politics (was Central Park Coyote)

On 2006-03-24, Victor Martinez penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Maybe it will result in a repeal of sodomy laws by a grass roots
effort from the young christian right. Hey, a girl can dream =P

All sodomy laws in the US were thrown out by the Supreme Court in
Lawrence vs Texas back in June 2003.

I thought there were still some strings attached to that. I don't
remember though.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-24, Kreisleriana penned:

Wow. My first cat scratch was at age 3, the first time I was jumped
on by a dog, at age 4. The cat was a big brown tabby who regularly
visited my grandma, and sat in her garden. I thought he was so
fascinating, with his tail, his whiskers, his stripes, and his
beautiful green eyes! I was following him around the garden,
fascinated with his tail, and grabbed it. He turned around
*incredibly* fast and scratched me. I screamed like a banshee. How
dare he! If he didn't want me to play with it, why did he wave it
around like that?

I seem to recall being covered in scratches as a child (older, though,
like 6 or 7) because I couldn't leave the cats at our neighbor's house
alone. I guess I learned before I was blinded.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev A. wrote:

[...]

Do coyotes attack children? Now that's scary.
There have been one or two occasions when foxes have tried to take small
babies outside in their carriers/prams in their gardens to get the sun here
in the UK. Don't ask me to provide links now, but it is true. You could
probably google it if you were interested.

Tweed

Old March 24th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:24:15 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
yodeled:

On 2006-03-24, Kreisleriana penned:

Wow. My first cat scratch was at age 3, the first time I was jumped
on by a dog, at age 4. The cat was a big brown tabby who regularly
visited my grandma, and sat in her garden. I thought he was so
fascinating, with his tail, his whiskers, his stripes, and his
beautiful green eyes! I was following him around the garden,
fascinated with his tail, and grabbed it. He turned around
*incredibly* fast and scratched me. I screamed like a banshee. How
dare he! If he didn't want me to play with it, why did he wave it
around like that?

I seem to recall being covered in scratches as a child (older, though,
like 6 or 7) because I couldn't leave the cats at our neighbor's house
alone. I guess I learned before I was blinded.

LOL. You know the funny thing is, when I got masters of my own-- I
have never had a master who hated to have his/her tail touched. All
my own cats have loved having their tails touched, even pulled a
little bit. Stinky loves a gentle tug on his tail. Mimi adored it.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 24th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:56:35 -0000, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

Bev A. wrote:

[...]

I think that encounters with dogs would be of more concern-- Central
Park is mecca for dog lovers, and they have a lot of clout in
Manhattan. I think over time, trying to live in Central Park would be
a lot more stressful for the coyote than for anyone else.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War