[OT] Christmas Carols

Old December 17th 04, 01:39 AM
Yowie

Default [OT] Christmas Carols

As is traditional at work, we got together for our last "all staff meeting"
and hten had a Christmas morning tea, and finished with us singing Christmas
Carols inthe foyer of our reception area (it has nice acoustics).

Again, this year, we sang a mix of traditional carols and Australian carols,
and it occured tome that whilst most people would know the traditional ones,
there wouldn'tbe too many people on this group that would know Australian
carols. Which got me to thinking.... would anyone like to read the lyrics of
some Aussie Carols, and would anyone be interested in posting some carols
that are from their own country? (And yes, that also includes you
Americans - there are many Christmas carols you lot quote that I've never
heard of).

I'd also beg and plead with anyone who knows the German words to "Oh
Tannenbaum" to please send me a copy - its my favourite one of all and I
never hear it anymore.

Aussie Jingle Bells

Dashing through the bush in a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust, Esky inthe boot
Kelpie by my side, Singing Christmas songs
its summer time and I am in my singlet, shorts and thongs! Oh!

Chorus:
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way
Christmas in Australia on a scorching summer's day, Oh!
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Christmas time is beaut,
Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden ute

Engine's getting hot, we dodge the kangaroos
the swaggie climbs aboard, he is welcome too
All the family is there, sitting by the pool
Christmas day in the Aussie way, by the Bar-b-que! Oh!

Come the afternoon and granpa has a doze
The kids and Uncle Bruce are swimming in the clothes
The time comes round to go, we take the family snap
And pack the car and all shoot through
Before the washing up! Oh!

Translation:
Holden Ute: iconic Aussie flat-bed truck
Esky: Portable insulated box that you keep your drinks in so they stay cold
through the day
Kelpie: Iconic Australian dog. A Blue heeler
Singlet: Undershirt without sleeves
Thongs: Iconic Australian summer footwear: Rubber sole with two straps that
go between the big toe and the other toes, flip-flops
Swaggie: Short for "Swagman". Iconic Australian "roaming person". viz: "Once
a jolly swagman..."
Uncle Bruce: Bruce is the classic name for any 'older' Australian male
Family snap: family photo
Shoot through: a slang term meaning to leave in a hurry so as to avoid your
obligations.

Yowie

Old December 17th 04, 05:02 AM
Christine Burel

Yowie, go to this link and it has both English and German words to the
lyrics:
http://german.about.com/library/blotannenb.htm

Christine

Old December 17th 04, 08:37 AM
Yoj

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

That's great, Yowie! Yes, I'd love to read more lyrics, and I'd be happy to
post lyrics too, if I had any idea which ones you don't know. I have most
of our traditional carols memorized. I'd have to do some hunting for songs
like "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth", "I Saw Mommy Kissing
Santa Clause" and "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer".

Joy

P.S. I understood two-thirds of the Aussie terms without the translation.
I'm getting there. ;-)

Old December 17th 04, 12:48 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Yowie" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Christmas Carols:

I'd also beg and plead with anyone who knows the German words to "Oh
Tannenbaum" to please send me a copy - its my favourite one of all and I
never hear it anymore.

Working on that one for you.

The Aussie version of Jingle Bells is a riot! :-)

Old December 17th 04, 03:19 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:37:40 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

That's great, Yowie! Yes, I'd love to read more lyrics, and I'd be happy to
post lyrics too, if I had any idea which ones you don't know. I have most
of our traditional carols memorized. I'd have to do some hunting for songs
like "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth", "I Saw Mommy Kissing
Santa Clause" and "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer".

Joy

P.S. I understood two-thirds of the Aussie terms without the translation.
I'm getting there. ;-)

How about these two childhood classics:

"While shepherds washed their socks by night
All seated on the ground
The angel of the Lord came down
And passed the Lifebuoy round."

And

"We three kings of Orient are
Trying to smoke a plastic cigar,
It was loaded and exploded--
BANG!
We two kings of Orient are . . . "

Theresa
Old December 17th 04, 09:19 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:
snip
..., and would anyone be interested in posting some carols
that are from their own country?

Finnish and Swedish ones?? Oh boy, there are quite a lot... Not that
especially the Finnish ones would make much sense to anyone other than
Marina and myself. There are some that we have in translated version,
but also a lot of our very own making. Hmmm... Any requests??

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old December 17th 04, 09:26 PM
Elise

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Love the Aussie version of Jingle Bells!

Dh made up his own version of Oh Christmas Tree the other day.
Unfortunately I didn't have a tape recorder (I was driving at the time) and
we can't remember how it went with the exception of:

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
You are so green and fluffy

I was laughing hysterically by the end of it

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics:

Old December 18th 04, 02:55 AM
Stormin Mormon

http://www.always-safe.com/rustychevy.html

This one is to a US favorite, Rusty Chevrolet. Looked like it has links to a
LOT of other songs. I'm trying to think how I can record some of these off
my computer speakers. This is fun.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old December 18th 04, 05:51 AM
Marina

CK wrote:

Finnish and Swedish ones?? Oh boy, there are quite a lot... Not that
especially the Finnish ones would make much sense to anyone other than
Marina and myself. There are some that we have in translated version,
but also a lot of our very own making. Hmmm... Any requests??

LOL! I attended an evening for alumni at the English Department of the
university the other week, and they had an English version of
Tiernapojat (called The Star Boys). They've been doing that for a long
time now, it's one of the former teachers (originally from Scotland) who
has translated the words into English.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki