Do cats see everything in black and white?

Old February 5th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Persian

Default Do cats see everything in black and white?

Do cats see everything in black and white?

This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Old February 6th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red and
green as black and white. It did say they can see some blues and yellows.

Their eyes are set up to detect motion and colors aren't that important
for them.

Rhonda

Old February 6th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pijewlchio

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red ...

Maybe so they can "see" blood?

but.. how would God make a creature so perfect and not give them High
Definition video Rhonda

I bet they see in full color

Old February 6th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Pijewlchio wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red ...

Maybe so they can "see" blood?

but.. how would God make a creature so perfect and not give them High
Definition video Rhonda

I bet they see ...

Of course they see. They see lots of things.

Old February 6th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 10:31 am, "Persian" wrote:
Do cats see everything in black and white?

This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?

When I was in junior high, we noticed that my cat really liked to sit
on my mom's lap when she was wearing a pink robe, but did not sit on
my lap sp much. My robe was green. For christmas, I got a pink robe,
and my cat immediately spent a lot more time on my lap.

A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
attractive.

Old February 6th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pijewlchio

wrote in message
oups.com...

A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
attractive.

Hi

Colors are assimilated in the mind right?

I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

Old February 6th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

It is not the mind that interprets colors, it is the rods that are contained
in the eye and cats do not have as many as humans. I am sure they see color,
but I would doubt that they see the array of colors that humans do.

Old February 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Pijewlchio wrote:
A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
attractive.

Hi

Colors are assimilated in the mind right?

I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

Rods are best for low light situations and for observing sudden movement
(idea for a cat stalking prey). Cats also have a tapetum in the back of the
eye that reflects light back through the rods, enabling cats to see in much
darker situations than humans. Cones allow us to see colors. Cats do have
some cones but not nearly as many as humans do. One article I read stated
that cats can differentiate red from blue but have difficulty
differentiating red from green.

Old February 6th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Rods are best for low light situations and for observing sudden movement
(idea for a cat stalking prey). Cats also have a tapetum in the back of
the eye that reflects light back through the rods, enabling cats to see in
much darker situations than humans. Cones allow us to see colors. Cats
do have some cones but not nearly as many as humans do. One article I
read stated that cats can differentiate red from blue but have difficulty
differentiating red from green.

Typo alert--should say "ideal" for a cat - -

Old February 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stick Waver

Pijewlchio wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
attractive.

Hi

Colors are assimilated in the mind right?

I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

Colors are refracted light waves so each color has a unique
wavelength. Hence, we can tell what living being sees what color by
examining the receptors in their eyes. That said, no one knows if we
all see color the same, but "red is red," as far as wavelengths go.

More Cat Trivia Than Any One Ever Needs ! Matthew AKA NMR Cat anecdotes 3 April 5th 06 03:24 AM
It's Official [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 October 25th 05 04:20 AM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:37 AM
Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM