Cats becoming more affectionate -- seasonal?

Old November 2nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Cats becoming more affectionate -- seasonal?

My cat Milo was a shelter cat -- about a year in his first home, six
weeks in the shelter (during which time he was neutered) and four
months so far with me. In both homes, he was the only cat and was
strictly indoors. His previous owner told the shelter he was very
affectionate, but I haven't seen it until the past couple of weeks.

He was never hostile, but very independent and would only allow a
couple of strokes before walking off. He would let himself be picked
up and held on my shoulder but fairly often would start to squirm
after a minute or two. Only *very* occasionally would he jump up on
me while I was watching TV or otherwise motionless in a chair, and I
was never able to get him to settle down in my lap.

The last few weeks, he has jumped up on me a couple of times a day
and settled down on my shoulder for lovies; once he even stayed
voluntarily in my lap for about 30 seconds. He's also allowing his
tummy to be rubbed when he's lying down.

Do you think this is because the weather is getting colder (so all
the windows are shut), or because he's still settling in to his new
home and getting more relaxed?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old November 3rd 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Stan Brown exclaimed (11/2/2008 4:55 PM):
[...]

Yes, it's seasonal. Temps are dropping, and you are warm

Meep does the same thing. She insists that she MUST be on my lap the
instant I sit down in the wintertime. In the summer when it's hot and
muggy, she ignores my lap altogether.

That said, with Milo it sounds like he's getting more relaxed. Perhaps
it's because he wants to sit where it's warmer, but he's not quite
*that* relaxed yet.

jmc
Old November 3rd 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Cats do what they want, when they want. Just roll with it.
"That cat's something I can't explain..."

Old November 3rd 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

I've had two cats from shelters and it's taken them awhile to get used to
the idea that in x-amount of time they weren't going to be hauled off to yet
another place. So...Milo might be starting to trust you and realize he
isn't going to have to leave. One of my cats sleeps on the bed only in the
winter time. The rest of the time he sleeps somewhere else coming in and
jumping up on the bed only on mornings we sleep in.

Stacey

t...

Old November 3rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

My Pickles is definitely a lap cat when the cold weather sets in. The rest
of the time she prefers the back of the sofa or a hard surface.

Barb

Old November 3rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Nov 3, 12:06*am, "Stacey Weinberger"
wrote:
I've had two cats from shelters and it's taken them awhile to get used to
the idea that in x-amount of time they weren't going to be hauled off to yet
another place. *So...Milo might be starting to trust you and realize he
isn't going to have to leave. *One of my cats sleeps on the bed only in the
winter time. *The rest of the time he sleeps somewhere else coming in and
jumping up on the bed only on mornings we sleep in.

ITA with what Stacy posted.
Old November 3rd 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:28:14 -0500, Barb wrote:
My Pickles is definitely a lap cat when the cold weather sets in. The rest
of the time she prefers the back of the sofa or a hard surface.

Here in arizona, cold means below 100. Luna, a gray lady persian puffball,
weighing in at about 7 pounds has definately gotten more affectionate.
Old November 4th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

Do you think this is because the weather is getting colder (so all
the windows are shut), or because he's still settling in to his new
home and getting more relaxed?

That's probably it. Some cats warm up more quickly than others. Just don't
push it or force yourself on him- that will only slow the bonding process.
Some cats interpret being held as restraint. So just let him come to you
when he's ready.

Phil

Old November 7th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:55:49 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
Do you think this is because the weather is getting colder (so all
the windows are shut), or because he's still settling in to his new
home and getting more relaxed?

Thanks to all who responded -- the consensus seems to be that it's a
bit of both.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...