Out of the closet

Old July 27th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Singh

Default Out of the closet

I came up to check on Sabrina and found her out of the closet, and
having taken possession of some pieces I had crocheted and put into hot
water to "felt." I'd taken them up and set them on a towel on the other
desk in the computer room, also our sequestering place for new kitties.
That was a few days ago. Now she has absolutely no intention of yielding
me my wool. She was inching toward my hand, yet cussing up a storm. The
poor thing probably doesn't know yet that she can trust me, and at the
same time wants to know that she really is loved. And she is a sweet
little girl. She's just lying there right now, reaping the benefits of
the air conditioner--just chilling, literally.

Yesterday she scarfed down nearly two pouches of Whiskas. She had also
drunk quite a bit, and this is after the emergency vet gave Sabrina IV
fluids. Louie couldn't sleep all night. The running around, combined
with an unshakeable desire to give Richard a repeated pummeling about
the head and shoulders, kept him on edge. We also learned that the guy
who was supposed to deliver Richard one of our carriers to make this
whole business easier, never bothered. He was too busy with his Yugioh
gaming crapola. We blame a Yugioh addiction at least in part for Richard
having put Sabrina out--after all, you can't be a gaming champ without
buying into the stuff, and that cuts into kitty money--and so the game
has become rather a cussword in its own right.

On the other hand, what delightful things you realize when a new little
one comes to you. Sabrina's a Beatles fan! She was so upset at the vet
last night that we started singing to her like you do a kid, and we
learned by plain old trial and error. She'd growl at some things (for
instance, she doesn't like Chuck Berry or ELO) but when singing Beatles
or the Monkees, she calmed down. And she did again, after we brought her
home. And Louie went and serenaded her before going to work. It may be
why she came out of the closet. I just gave her a few lines of "All My
Loving," and she perked right up! She's still not letting go of my wool
though.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old July 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Singh wrote:
[...]

Oh fer cryin' out loud! Gaming... good lord, I was "sort of" into dungeons
and dragons when I was in my 20's but I didn't let it overtake my life to
the point of forgetting my pets.

On the other hand, what delightful things you realize when a new
little one comes to you. Sabrina's a Beatles fan! She was so upset at
the vet last night that we started singing to her like you do a kid,
and we learned by plain old trial and error. She'd growl at some
things (for instance, she doesn't like Chuck Berry or ELO) but when
singing Beatles or the Monkees, she calmed down. And she did again,
after we brought her home. And Louie went and serenaded her before
going to work. It may be why she came out of the closet. I just gave
her a few lines of "All My Loving," and she perked right up! She's
still not letting go of my wool though.

Blessed be,
Baha

She likes wet wool? Interesting I don't blame her about the Beatles and
I even liked some of the early Monkees songs but what the heck, I was a
pre-teen for both of those eras My mom told me after George Harrison
died she had always been a Beatles fan and wasn't he always a very spiritual
person? Yes, but *what*? (I said) You were a Beatles fan? I never knew
that! She said well, your dad didn't like them so I didn't say so. Geeze.
Talk about a woman under someone's (military) thumb. He listened to big
band stuff (nothing wrong with that, really but come on!) and denied Hendrix
ever served in VietNam. Oh, okay, right. And we got kicked out of Thailand
why? Something to do with an addiction on the part of your favoured son?

Sorry folks, I'm feeling a little bitter at the moment.

I'm very glad you got Sabrina and now keep her inside so you don't lose her!

Jill

Old July 28th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Singh" wrote in message
I came up to check on Sabrina and found her out of the closet, and
having taken possession of some pieces I had crocheted and put into hot
water to "felt." I'd taken them up and set them on a towel on the other
desk in the computer room, also our sequestering place for new kitties.
That was a few days ago. Now she has absolutely no intention of yielding
me my wool. She was inching toward my hand, yet cussing up a storm. The
poor thing probably doesn't know yet that she can trust me, and at the
same time wants to know that she really is loved. And she is a sweet
little girl. She's just lying there right now, reaping the benefits of
the air conditioner--just chilling, literally.

I'm glad that Sabrina is settling in, though you may never get your wool
back. My cats agree with her about The Beatles and The Monkees. They have
a lot of preferences that make me laugh.

Pam S.

Old July 28th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

He was too busy with his Yugioh
gaming crapola. We blame a Yugioh addiction at least in part for Richard
having put Sabrina out--after all, you can't be a gaming champ without
buying into the stuff, and that cuts into kitty money--and so the game
has become rather a cussword in its own right.

My friend's fiance likes Yugioh but at least HE makes sure he 1. pays
all his bills before he buys cards and 2. does other things than just
play Yugioh!

It doesn't matter if it's card games, DVD collections, music, toy
collections, comics, stamps, clothes, whatever....ANYTHING to excess is
bad news.

I could probably buy a lot more for my toy collection if I didn't buy
so much fresh litter and premium cat food and yearly vet visits but I
would never DREAM of not putting my family (feline and human) first.

--Fil

Old July 28th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

I could probably buy a lot more for my toy collection if I didn't buy
so much fresh litter and premium cat food and yearly vet visits but I
would never DREAM of not putting my family (feline and human) first.

Are you saying you pay for fresh litter, premium cat food and yearly vet
visits for your human companion too? (Hee hee - sorry. )

Joyce
Old July 28th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I don't blame her about the Beatles and
I even liked some of the early Monkees songs but what the heck, I was a
pre-teen for both of those eras

Me, too. I was ages 9 - 12 during those periods. (It's funny how we think
of them as different "eras", but when you're that age, two or three years
is a long time!)

My mom told me after George Harrison died she had always been a
Beatles fan and wasn't he always a very spiritual person? Yes, but
*what*? (I said) You were a Beatles fan? I never knew that! She
said well, your dad didn't like them so I didn't say so.

My mother was also a Beatles fan during that time, and she and I had the
radio on Top 40 all the time. We were both hooked. Not just the Beatles,
but all the British groups, as well as many American ones.

My dad thought it was all kids nonsense and made fun of it (especially
of my mother - it wasn't so bad that we liked it since we *were* kids,
after all). But my mother didn't let that stop her, I'm happy to say.
In general, my mom doesn't have a strong personality, and is easy to push
around. My father had a big mouth, and he was the boss of the family.
But NOBODY tells mom what music she can like!

This past January she really surprised me. Usually she presents herself
as kind of a scatterbrain, and as someone very passive and dependent on
others, unable to do things for herself, not very knowledgeable. But
one night while I visited her last January, we went out for dinner at
a place that had live Jazz. This was a 3-piece band (piano, bass and
drums), and they played a lot of be-bop and other stuff from the 40s,
50s and 60s. My mother knew all the songs, knew who had recorded each
one originally and who had written it, and had opinions about the band's
rendition of each one. The guys in the band made a bunch of "musical
jokes" - by playing things a certain way, they would make references to
music from 50, 60 years ago in a humorous way. My mother got all the
jokes and was having a grand time. I knew she liked jazz, but I didn't
realize she was so knowledgeable. I hadn't seen that side of her before.
It was pretty cool.

Joyce
Old July 28th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Singh wrote:

Are you saying you pay for fresh litter, premium cat food and yearly vet
visits for your human companion too? (Hee hee - sorry. )

No, but I do for mine. Louie likes to scratch in Swheat Scoop and likes
Fancy Feast warmed and served over toast. :-P

OK, but what does he do when the vet sticks the thermometer up his butt?

Joyce
Old July 28th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Singh wrote:
On the other hand, what delightful things you realize when a new little
one comes to you. Sabrina's a Beatles fan! She was so upset at the vet
last night that we started singing to her like you do a kid, and we
learned by plain old trial and error. She'd growl at some things (for
instance, she doesn't like Chuck Berry or ELO) but when singing Beatles
or the Monkees, she calmed down. And she did again, after we brought her
home. And Louie went and serenaded her before going to work. It may be
why she came out of the closet. I just gave her a few lines of "All My
Loving," and she perked right up! She's still not letting go of my wool
though.

I'm so envious! What a happy home!

Old July 28th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Singh wrote:
I just gave her a few lines of "All My
Loving," and she perked right up! She's still not letting go of my wool
though.

Aww, what a sweetie! But you can kiss that wool bye bye! So glad to hear
she is out of the closet.

Old July 28th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Singh

No, she likes it dry; I'd put it up here to dry over a week ago, and for all my
stretching and trying to pull into shape they came out looking like huge,
clownish bowties, narrow in the middle and wide on both ends. I just got up here
ten minutes ago; she still is protecting the wool like a lioness with cubs.

I got into gaming too, in my 20's and for about fifteen minutes before the
thrill wore off. Feh!

Blessed be,
Baha