Buffy's Fur Sparkles

Old September 4th 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy's Fur Sparkles

Buffy was laying on her back in a puddle of sunshine and I was giving
her scritches around her face and chin and gently touching her belly.
That's when I noticed the white tips on her fur seem to sparkle like stars.

Persia was a grey cat. She had beautiful soft fur but it didn't reflect
the light. Buffy's fur seems to bounce it back and the white tips at
the end of her fur literally sparkle.

Sorry, no way to get a picture of it. But it's very pretty!

Jill
Old September 6th 15, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:12:59 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Buffy was laying on her back in a puddle of sunshine and I was giving
her scritches around her face and chin and gently touching her belly.
That's when I noticed the white tips on her fur seem to sparkle like stars.

Persia was a grey cat. She had beautiful soft fur but it didn't reflect
the light. Buffy's fur seems to bounce it back and the white tips at
the end of her fur literally sparkle.

Sorry, no way to get a picture of it. But it's very pretty!

Jill

Sparkily fur. I think I just made up a word! The day is complete.

Odd things do happen with cat fur in a sunbeam. It looks like
different colors sometimes. I'll have to look to see if any of my cats
have sparkely fur. I wonder if I should spell it with an I or an E?

I was at a PetSmart store today and there were quite a few cats and
dogs for adoption. One of the dogs was a small collie - I wanted to
take it on the spot but I just can't handle having to walk a dog all
the time.

The cats were almost all kittens, although a few were adolescents.
There should at least be a few adult cats since someone might want an
adult. Maybe they had already been adopted.

I bought quite a few scratching objects. Some of my cats have been
scratching the rugs and the chairs in the new house and I'd like to
nip that right now. All the scratching posts have been liberally
rubbed with catnip so I'm hoping for the best.

I put one in my bedroom. I think I might end up regretting that. Time
will tell.
Old September 6th 15, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Buffy was laying on her back in a puddle of sunshine and I was giving
her scritches around her face and chin and gently touching her belly.
That's when I noticed the white tips on her fur seem to sparkle like stars.

Persia was a grey cat. She had beautiful soft fur but it didn't reflect
the light. Buffy's fur seems to bounce it back and the white tips at
the end of her fur literally sparkle.

Sorry, no way to get a picture of it. But it's very pretty!

Jill

Sparkily fur. I think I just made up a word! The day is complete.

Sparkley.

Odd things do happen with cat fur in a sunbeam. It looks like
different colors sometimes. I'll have to look to see if any of my cats
have sparkely fur. I wonder if I should spell it with an I or an E?

I vote for E.

The thing about white tipped fur is it's actually clear at the tips.
Don't get me wrong, Persia's grey fur was gorgeous. Shiny, no doubt
about it. But it didn't sparkle like Buffy's did when the sun caught it
just right.

I was at a PetSmart store today and there were quite a few cats and
dogs for adoption. One of the dogs was a small collie - I wanted to
take it on the spot but I just can't handle having to walk a dog all
the time.

I agree with you. I like dogs, don't get me wrong. But I see so many
people around walking them, carrying a bag and a scoop for the poop.
Then I look at the weather. You're in Florida now. Pretty darn hot,
isn't it? And I think gee, 90-something degrees and humid... the dog
needs to be walked. That's no fun. Oh, it's raining? Again... no fun.
It's 3AM? Arrrgh! Okay, I have trouble sleeping but I really don't
want to take a walk outside at that time.

The cats were almost all kittens, although a few were adolescents.
There should at least be a few adult cats since someone might want an
adult. Maybe they had already been adopted.

I've never been to one of the PetSmart adoption day things. I don't
know what their requirements are for pets available for adoption.

I bought quite a few scratching objects. Some of my cats have been
scratching the rugs and the chairs in the new house and I'd like to
nip that right now. All the scratching posts have been liberally
rubbed with catnip so I'm hoping for the best.

It took Buffy almost two months before she started using the horizontal
scratcher I got for her. Even with catnip, she still completely ignores
the vertical scratcher. Good luck!

I put one in my bedroom. I think I might end up regretting that. Time
will tell.

Are you and all your cats getting settled in? That was a big move and a
long trip for [all of] you. Kudos!

Jill
Old September 6th 15, 10:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Orange fur just look so beautiful as it catches the sun.

I was at a PetSmart store today and there were quite a few cats and
dogs for adoption. One of the dogs was a small collie - I wanted to
take it on the spot but I just can't handle having to walk a dog all
the time.

I agree with you. I like dogs, don't get me wrong. But I see so many
people around walking them, carrying a bag and a scoop for the poop.
Then I look at the weather. You're in Florida now. Pretty darn hot,
isn't it? And I think gee, 90-something degrees and humid... the dog
needs to be walked. That's no fun. Oh, it's raining? Again... no fun.
It's 3AM? Arrrgh! Okay, I have trouble sleeping but I really don't
want to take a walk outside at that time.

Add freezing cold and snow to the list.
Once I had an elderly neighbour whose dog was on medication and needed
to be walked 6x a day. I felt quite bad for him, particularly in the winter.
Then the other day I saw the superintendent walking another neighbour's
(who was not out of town) dog. The neighbour probably got tired of the walking.
The super can get a business going walking dogs for people
living in my building in bad weather, especially in the current heat wave.

The cats were almost all kittens, although a few were adolescents.
There should at least be a few adult cats since someone might want an
adult. Maybe they had already been adopted.

I've never been to one of the PetSmart adoption day things. I don't
know what their requirements are for pets available for adoption.

I bought quite a few scratching objects. Some of my cats have been
scratching the rugs and the chairs in the new house and I'd like to
nip that right now. All the scratching posts have been liberally
rubbed with catnip so I'm hoping for the best.

It took Buffy almost two months before she started using the horizontal
scratcher I got for her. Even with catnip, she still completely ignores
the vertical scratcher. Good luck!

Maybe it is an orange cat behaviour as Rusty was the same.

Old September 6th 15, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/5/2015 11:21 PM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:12:59 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Sparkley.

Odd things do happen with cat fur in a sunbeam. It looks like
different colors sometimes. I'll have to look to see if any of my cats
have sparkely fur. I wonder if I should spell it with an I or an E?

I vote for E.

The thing about white tipped fur is it's actually clear at the tips.
Don't get me wrong, Persia's grey fur was gorgeous. Shiny, no doubt
about it. But it didn't sparkle like Buffy's did when the sun caught it
just right.

Orange fur just look so beautiful as it catches the sun.

Yes, it does.

I was at a PetSmart store today and there were quite a few cats and
dogs for adoption. One of the dogs was a small collie - I wanted to
take it on the spot but I just can't handle having to walk a dog all
the time.

I agree with you. I like dogs, don't get me wrong. But I see so many
people around walking them, carrying a bag and a scoop for the poop.
Then I look at the weather. You're in Florida now. Pretty darn hot,
isn't it? And I think gee, 90-something degrees and humid... the dog
needs to be walked. That's no fun. Oh, it's raining? Again... no fun.
It's 3AM? Arrrgh! Okay, I have trouble sleeping but I really don't
want to take a walk outside at that time.

Add freezing cold and snow to the list.

Definitely add snow to the list! I haven't lived in a place where it
snows in a long time. It did snow (more like ice storms) every few
years in west Tennessee. Not fun. Gotta walk the dog... dammit.

Once I had an elderly neighbour whose dog was on medication and needed
to be walked 6x a day. I felt quite bad for him, particularly in the winter.

I'd feel bad about that, too. Most of my neighbors are of the 'elderly
persuasion' (I refuse to call myself elderly until I'm eligible for
Medicare!). They're out there walking dogs in all sorts of weather.
Hot, cold, rain. All hours of the day or night. I'm sure the exercise
is good for all of them but really...

I saw a funny thing the other day. A woman was walking her dog.
Actually, she wasn't walking the dog. She was pushing it in a pet
stroller. She was getting exercise but the dog was sitting there like a
little prince. Being chauffeured. Wow. Now I've seen everything.

Then the other day I saw the superintendent walking another neighbour's
(who was not out of town) dog. The neighbour probably got tired of the walking.
The super can get a business going walking dogs for people
living in my building in bad weather, especially in the current heat wave.

I think there are a lot of people who have dog walking businesses.
Especially in cities.

It took Buffy almost two months before she started using the horizontal
scratcher I got for her. Even with catnip, she still completely ignores
the vertical scratcher. Good luck!

Maybe it is an orange cat behaviour as Rusty was the same.

I suppose it could be an orange cat thing. She won't have a thing to
do with the verticle scratcher. It's got sisal rope and carpeting. I
rubbed it with catnip (she does like catnip). Nope, she doesn't like
the verticle scratcher.

As you suggested, she does like a heavy kitchen mat. I didn't have to
turn it upside down. I have one by the back patio door (omg, it's a
kitchen mat in the living room!) It's made of some sort of rubber. I
wipe my feet on it when I come in from the great outdoors. Dual
purpose: Buffy scratches it.

Jill
Old September 6th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia and P2nya

wrote:

[...]

Re walking dogs:
I had dogs, and rabbits as well as cats over the years.
(I won't even mention turtles, snakes, pet rats.)
I lived in a house with a back yard, not huge, but large enough.
I never walked my animals, just let them out into the back yard.
I did have the dog trained to use a spot toward the back.
I went out with a plastic bag once a week.

Sylvia

Old September 6th 15, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/6/2015 1:39 PM, Sylvia and P2nya wrote:
Re walking dogs:
I had dogs, and rabbits as well as cats over the years.
(I won't even mention turtles, snakes, pet rats.)
I lived in a house with a back yard, not huge, but large enough.
I never walked my animals, just let them out into the back yard.
I did have the dog trained to use a spot toward the back.
I went out with a plastic bag once a week.

Sylvia

Except for a couple of rental homes, as an adult I've always lived in
apartments. Where I live now there's a golf course behind the house.
The homes are also pretty much zero-lots. People aren't allowed to just
open the door and let their dogs run. Can't have a fenced in yard
without permission, either. HOA regs. So, they have to walk them. And
carry a bag and scoop.

I had a sweet little mutt dog, Sampson (RB 1999). Even when I had a
fenced yard I did not enjoy having to get up at 2:00 or 3AM to let him
out. But hey, when they gotta go they gotta go!

It just started pouring down rain again. It's also rather windy. I
feel sorry for the people whose dogs need to go out right now. You know
as well as I do, the dog can't just hold it until the weather improves.

There is a couple who live in a few houses down the street. They own
two huge Great Danes. Their house is no bigger than mine but the dogs
are so big it must be like keeping them in an apartment. And yes, the
people are elderly (in their 80's). They have to walk the dogs and do
the scooping thing, regardless of the weather.

Cats are so much easier. No having to get up and take them for a
walk in the middle of the night.

Jill
Old September 9th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 4:13:05 PM UTC, jmcquown wrote:
saw a funny thing the other day. A woman was walking her dog.
Actually, she wasn't walking the dog. She was pushing it in a pet
stroller

A friend of mine's mum has a pet carrier on wheels and regularly takes one of her cats (Usually Oscar- he looks like a Russian blue and got his name because she said he had star quality even as a newborn kitten also her other cat isn't called Cruella for nothing) out in the carrier being decorated with flags, CPL stickers, butterfly's, flowers (she even does themes like tinsel and Santa near Xmas) - she even takes him into the supermarket to ask him what food he fancies.

Oscar (not Cruella even Anne isn't that silly) usually wears a t-shirt saying something like "I'm spoiled" (He's a very laid back cat who plainly has worked out looking like a prat is a fair exchange for good food, clean litter, regular brushing and tons of love)

A lot of people want their photo taken with Oscar (or even Cruella who can be quite civilised if people don't put their fingers near her.....) at which point Anne pulls out the collecting tin...

Last year she raised £400+ for cat charities

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 10th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_2_]

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
[...]
There they are!
http://spitalfieldslife.com/2009/11/14/cat-on-wheels/

Old September 11th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Except for Scooter, no one shows up during the day. I intentionally
left a lot of places that they could hide. I have one of those
platform beds with two big drawers under it. Well, one of the drawers
broke in the move, so I've left that side open, and the cats have a
big place (carpeted) to lie under the bed. I also leave the sheets
hanging over the side of the bed, to the floor. Lots of place there to
hide.

Buffy in the Box jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 July 4th 15 10:46 PM
Yet another Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 3 June 30th 15 10:34 AM
Buffy next to me (pic) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 8 June 28th 15 01:05 AM
Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 38 June 21st 15 06:01 PM
Another Buffy Pic jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 June 20th 15 07:47 PM