Amber doesn't feel well

Old February 8th 05, 09:58 PM

I call it annuals but it's really more like 3
years and she hasn't had any since the
last time when she got ill. She is due for a
rabies (several months now) but that may
be the only shot I get her (by law, have to
have it, though they have not hunted me
down or anything.) Unfortunately, it was
most likely the rabies she reacted to.

If the rabies makes her ill don't vaccinate her. Even though rabies may
be required by law, their are exceptions and if there was an issue a
note from your vet exempting the cat from vaccinations is usually
sufficient. I have a mulitple animals permit and am required to show
prrof of rabies vaccinations. I have had several cats that could not be
vaccinated for one reason or another and the city always accepted a
letter from my vet in lieu of a rabies certificate. Another option you
could make use of is titer testing.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old February 9th 05, 01:35 AM
---MIKE---

Megan, Some states require rabies shots every year or every two years.
Also, the Purvax shots are only good for one year.

Amber seems a little better this evening. She ate a little bit of her
canned food and used the litter box. I'm hoping she will be all better
by morning,

---MIKE---

Old February 9th 05, 04:17 AM
Slimpickins

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Amber went to the vet yesterday for her rabies and distemper shots.
This morning she didn't want her breakfast and she is sleeping all day.
I assume this is not unusual so I'm not too concerned. Any comments?

---MIKE---

***The rabies shot is highly toxic. I persoanally quit giving the rabie
(booster) shot to my now deceased cat, Blue, after he was @ 10 years old. He
lived to be 19 1/2, and just* passed away on Nov. 20th-04. Anyway, I had
immediately noticed that it always made him very sick. Don't even get me
started about the horrible effects that the feline leukemia shot had on him.
Blue was always a mainly indoors cat, though I would let him out daily,
while closely supervising him in my large, privacy fenced backyard to soak
up the sun, get needed excercise and fresh air.

ML

Old February 9th 05, 05:11 AM
Cat Protector

The rabies shot is not toxic and definately needs to be given to cats. Don't
listen to this troll.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old February 9th 05, 06:02 AM
Sherry

Amber went to the vet yesterday for her rabies and distemper shots.
This morning she didn't want her breakfast and she is sleeping all day.
I assume this is not unusual so I'm not too concerned. Any comments?

It's not unusual, but she should be back eating by evening, and back to her old
self by tomorrow. If not, I'd call the vet.
Since the vaccinations obviously made her feel unwell, next year you might try
spacing them out. It's a drag to make two trips, but after mine had a bad
reaction to vaccs, I space them 3 weeks apart now.
Sherry
Old February 9th 05, 06:14 AM
Sherry

But if your cat bites someone and you can't prove it's been vaccinated
against
rabies, they'll kill the cat so they can look at its insides and find out if
it's ill. Or do I have my facts all wrong? I always thought that was why it
was important to get pets vaccinated against rabies.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch

It probably differs from state to state, but I believe here, an "owned" cat
simply has to be quarantined at a vet's facility for 10 days' observation, then
it's a mandatory rabies vaccination before release. Only if the cat shows signs
of illness in that 10 days do they send its head off for testing.
Sherry

Sherry
Old February 9th 05, 01:27 PM
---MIKE---

Amber seems to be all better this morning. She came down on my bed when
I called her at 5:30 (a morning routine which she didn't do yesterday)
and ate a good breakfast. In three years I will just give her the
Rabies shot and I may not bother with the distemper shot. She is a
strictly inside cat (I doubt if she would go out even if I left the door
wide open).

---MIKE---

Old February 9th 05, 01:59 PM
Jean B.

---MIKE--- wrote:

Amber seems to be all better this morning. She came down on my bed when
I called her at 5:30 (a morning routine which she didn't do yesterday)
and ate a good breakfast. In three years I will just give her the
Rabies shot and I may not bother with the distemper shot. She is a
strictly inside cat (I doubt if she would go out even if I left the door
wide open).

---MIKE---

Mike, something I am pondering: what about possible exposure to
diseases at the vet's office or at the hospital????????? I am
glad Amber is feeling better. I missed your initial post on her,
because my daughter is usurping in computer every evening.
--
Jean B.
Old February 9th 05, 03:06 PM
Karen

See, that's a problem for me though because in all reality it's more likely
your cat could pick up a virus than rabies, in which she would need to be
bitten by a rabid animal. My cats have actually picked up a virus at the
vets after a routine exam (no shots) that probably would have been much
worse if they hadn't been vaccinated. If your cat would nose another cat
through a screen even, they could pick up a URI but rabies? I know rabies
is important, but I wish, when you have strictly indoor animals, they would
not be so pushy about them. The US is just too huge to ever be rabies free
like England and with too many various species carrying it, but if your cat
is an indoor cat they should be exempt, IMO.