Fungus Problem - Need Help!

Old February 20th 05, 12:15 AM
Kim

Default Fungus Problem - Need Help!

Our orange tabby cat, Buster, has had a recurring fungus problem, which
is getting worse and not been able to be cured. The fungus is in his
paws. It is black, crusty and Buster tries to lick it, dropping pieces
of the fungus. It is not life-threatening but seems to be painful.

Over the last several months, through the vet we have tried the
following but the fungus quickly returns:

The vet put Buster under a mild sedative and thoroughly cleaned his
paws. Had us give him antibiotics, Prednizone, clean the paws with
mild betadine, spray with Gentamicin, put on Genotic B-C ointment,
Quadritop ointment. Most of this we did this daily. He hated the
treatments, yelled, tried to bite, etc. Finally, Buster just ran away
and would not come back. We found him after 11 days and brought him
home. We have not done much treatment on him since, let him enjoy his
life but the fungus is still there.

Has anyone had good results in treating fungus?

Thanks for any help.

Old February 20th 05, 02:26 AM
BarB

On 19 Feb 2005 15:15:30 -0800, "Kim" wrote:

[...]

Has the vet ruled out ringworm? I just treated a kitten with a fungus
infection ( ringworm) in the nail bed with Lamisil, a human fungus
drug and it cleared rapidly.

BarB
Old February 20th 05, 08:08 AM
-L.

Kim wrote:
Our orange tabby cat, Buster, has had a recurring fungus problem,

which
is getting worse and not been able to be cured. The fungus is in his
paws. It is black, crusty and Buster tries to lick it, dropping

pieces
of the fungus. It is not life-threatening but seems to be painful.

I hate to say this but I suspect it is not fungus, but cancer and
possibly a secondary fungal infection has set in. Did the vet do a
fungal culture and a biopsy? The only reason I say this is because I
know of a case that was *exactly* like what you described, the biopsy
came back as a type of cancer (sorry, I forget which one). Hope that's
not the case with your kitty.

-L.

Old February 20th 05, 08:00 PM
ElvisRocks

My Randall, who passed in 2000, had cryptococchus (sp) a very rare fungus
infection which is
systemic. He had surgery to remove one lymph node where it had congregated
(for lack of a better term),
and then my vet prescribed Nizoral tabs, which he had to stay on for about
1-1/2 years.

oups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 03:57 AM
Kim

I don't know if the vet ruled out ringworm. He did do a lot of tests.
the fungus is in his nails, very difficult to get rid of. Did you rub
the Lamisil in the nail? For how long? A week - before you saw
results? We were thinking of trying Lamisil. Thanks for the advice.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:34 PM
BarB

On 2 Mar 2005 18:57:41 -0800, "Kim" wrote:

I don't know if the vet ruled out ringworm. He did do a lot of tests.
the fungus is in his nails, very difficult to get rid of. Did you rub
the Lamisil in the nail? For how long? A week - before you saw
results? We were thinking of trying Lamisil. Thanks for the advice.

The Lamisil I used was in 250 mg tablets. It's an oral medication
made for humans, but vets are aware of its use for problem ringworm.
I gave it at 5 mg/lb, so one tablet is enough for a 5 lb kitten for
10 days.

It can be compounded by some pharmacies, and your vet will know which
ones when he writes the prescription. If you do it yourself, much
cheaper, your vet can give you directions. I ground the pill and
mixed it with a cc or less of alcohol (not rubbing alcohol but
drinkable like Everclear). I added water to make a total of 10 ml
which gave me 25 mg of drug in each ml. The dosage is once per day
and the solution needs to be shaken and refrigerated.

BarB
Old March 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Karen

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
[...]

Good lord. How do you measure it out?

Old March 4th 05, 03:11 AM
BarB

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:57:12 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

"BarB" wrote in message
.earthlink.net...
[...]

I use a 5 ml syringe ( no needle) to pull it out of the bottle. Your
vet may have small bottles with a cap that can be cut to fit the tip
of the syringe.( A cap like the ones on hair-coloring solutions).
You also could use a small bottle with an eye-dropper cap. Your vet
probably pitches them out. Anybody with several cats probably has a
few of those antibiotic bottles around.

BarB