Intruder!

Old June 26th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Intruder!

When Boyfie was a lost boy he liked to sleep in my conservatory which he
could make a quick escape from if I appeared. For some reason he liked to
meatloaf on top of the freezer in there so I gave him a blanket on it.

He often perches on it, waiting for me to open the back door. He rarely
meows to come in. He has a new quilted blanket (last week) and now that
the weather is 20C he's decided he might prefer to meatloaf on that for a
while rather than coming straight back in.
So I heard a noise. A wowl from Boyfie so I rushed to the door. A cat was
trying to squeeze itself out of an impossibly small space between my
conservatory and my neighbour's extension about 6 inches. The poor cat
couldn't get out for a while. It's a black longhair that I've not seen
before. I saw its tail dangling while it struggled to escape, well its tail
is black..
Boyfie was absolutely furious. He did that sing song thing that says "come
near my house and you are are dead"

However that is exactly how he came here, sleeping in my conservatory and
escaping through the window when I opened the back door.

I'd like to have another cat. I always said I would wait until one came.
I don't really know if its a lost cat but coming inside my conservatory just
like Boyfie did when he was desperate?
It could be a neighbourhood cat exploring I suppose but I've never seen it
before.
If he comes again I don't know what to do. Boyfie made it clear that he is
not welcome.

Tweed

Old June 26th 14, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~
It's possible that Boyfie might adjust to the intruder after a few visits.
Maybe this is "the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

MaryL

Old June 26th 14, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:55:21 -0500, "MaryL"

[...]

It might also change if the new cat gets neutered.
Old June 26th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
It's possible that Boyfie might adjust to the intruder after a few visits.
Maybe this is "the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

I hope so. I've been waiting for 5 years for a stray to turn up to fill the
vacancy.

Tweed

Old June 26th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
It might also change if the new cat gets neutered.

I don't know whether it's male or female, neutered or not. I only saw its
back end struggling out of the window in a panic. My impression was that it
was young as the long hair I could see was very well cared for.

Tweed

Old June 26th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

All you can do is see how it unfolds. You wouldn't have thought KFC would
have welcomed Boyfie but she did.

Judith

Ah, but that was a whole different thing. Kitty allowed Boyfie to follow
her around in the garden for weeks - a few respectful paces behind of
course - and she invited him in herself. Hence his name.
Having a cat intruder in the conservatory seems to have made Boyfie quite
anxious. Today he's been out more often presumably to check his territory
and when he comes back, instead of coming in when the door is open, he
perches on the freezer. When I try and encourage him to come inside he says
"No, not just yet, I'll just make sure that badcat doesn't come again."
I am fairly sure that my idea of adopting another stray one day doesn't
match with his now he has me and and the house for himself exclusively. He
doesn't intend to share.
I'm not surprised really. It just took so long for him to trust me, years,
and now he does, no way will he allow another cat here.
He's not a fighter so the fact that he nearly had to is stressing him a bit.
In Case It Comes Again.

Tweed

Old June 27th 14, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

Persia used to react very violently if she saw a cat in "her" territory.
Reowrrrrrrr, hsssssss! When we still lived in the apartment in
Tennessee, I had a fenced-in patio. There were sliding glass doors that
opened onto the patio off my bedroom. One lovely evening I had the door
open (screen door closed). A cat had the *nerve* to jump the fence into
Persia's space! I heard the hisspitting and a racket.

When I went to look I thought Persia was under the bed. Nope. She had
crashed into the screen door, knocking it off the bottom track.
Apparently it flapped open like a cat-flap. I didn't know she was
outside. (She was probably surprised to find herself out there, too!)
A few minutes later I heard a meow at the living room window. I looked
up, there was Persia at the window. How did you get out there?! After
that I bought a baby-gate that fit between the screen door and the glass
slider to keep her from tumbling outside.

She doesn't much care these days, but then the only cat she ever sees
behind our house is Schwartzie. He doesn't come up to the door so she
ignores him. I *do* know if I tried to bring another cat in here she'd
get very upset.

Jill
Old June 28th 14, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 02:26:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
So I heard a noise. A wowl from Boyfie so I rushed to the door. A cat was
trying to squeeze itself out of an impossibly small space between my
conservatory and my neighbour's extension about 6 inches. The poor cat
couldn't get out for a while. It's a black longhair that I've not seen
before. I saw its tail dangling while it struggled to escape, well its tail
is black..

I think that struggly kitty butts are cute. Buster does something like that
diving under the sofa when the vacuum comes out.

I think that Boyfriend would accept another cat, given time and some
compatibility. He was so very good to KFC.
Old June 30th 14, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
So I heard a noise. A wowl from Boyfie so I rushed to the door. A cat
was
trying to squeeze itself out of an impossibly small space between my
conservatory and my neighbour's extension about 6 inches. The poor cat
couldn't get out for a while. It's a black longhair that I've not seen
before. I saw its tail dangling while it struggled to escape, well its
tail
is black..

I think that struggly kitty butts are cute. Buster does something like
that
diving under the sofa when the vacuum comes out.

I think that Boyfriend would accept another cat, given time and some
compatibility. He was so very good to KFC.

Well, he had to be good to her - she was here first and he came on her
terms, which included her boxing his ears on a regular basis for absolutely
no reason!
She was always the cat that defended the house and garden so he took a back
seat, but now she is gone he has to do it himself. He doesn't really like
to but needs must. I don't think he has any intention of sharing his safe
place (and particularly his meowmie) now he is an only cat.
I didn't think KFC would either though, so maybe one day he will lead
another lost one here like she did him. Not holding my breath..
I'm not going to push him by seeking one myself. Yes, I would like another
one, this is a lovely safe place tor going outdoors but I do not want to
upset him. He's a very nervous & anxious cat. Unless he is at home with me
with no-one, human or feline there. Then he is very happy.

Old June 30th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Poor Boyfie. He's already had a really stressful year. Another cat hanging
around is one stress too much.

Purrs for him to calm down and feel happy again.

Judith

He certainly has had a stressful year, with his accident plus mine which
meant I was in hospital for a month and he was home alone.
I haven't seen the cat again but Boyfie is still out more than usual
checking around and when he comes back he gets up on the freezer to wait
around for a couple of hours. If I see him on the freezer, I invite him
back in but he often says "No, I will stay here in case it comes again."

I think it was probably a local cat exploring (all cats near here are
allowed out) but it's shaken his world to have one in His Own Conservatory
Right Next to the Back Door which leads to to his safety.
Tweed