[OT][SPOILERS]Belmont Stakes Results

Old June 6th 04, 09:06 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:34:15 -0700, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
.. .

THank you for your detailed reply. I was hoping someone who knew a little
more than the bare gloss details would.

Thanks, but Karen seems to know more about it than I do

A lot of my knowledge is of the "by osmosis" type, from growing up in
the area, our major local newspaper being out of Louisville, and the
run up to the TC getting *major* coverage there every Spring ^_^

Our other major local newspapers came from Indianapolis, so you can
guess what sporting event got lots and lots of coverage (and lots of
opportunity for osmosis) during the month of May g

(Plus means I don't have to look
up details on past winners for my argument with my spouse)

If I may ask, what were you discussing?

It would be great for racing if a known popular horse like Smarty continued
to race. Might get more TV coverage and more real fans.

Absolutely.

The champion racehorse John Henry raced (and won) until he was 9
during the '70s and '80s. Of course, being a gelding he had no future
career as a stud for his owners to try to make money from. Another
champion racehorse, Cigar, won all 10 of his races as a 5 year old
(1995), and continued his streak to ultimately tie the all-time record
of 16 consecutive wins in 1996. He retired as a 6 year old late that
year and went on to a career at stud.

I *think* both horses are still alive, although John Henry would be
pushing 30 if he is.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

Old June 6th 04, 09:36 PM
Jo Firey

wrote:

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
.. .

THank you for your detailed reply. I was hoping someone who knew a

little
more than the bare gloss details would.

Thanks, but Karen seems to know more about it than I do

A lot of my knowledge is of the "by osmosis" type, from growing up in
the area, our major local newspaper being out of Louisville, and the
run up to the TC getting *major* coverage there every Spring ^_^

My closest track growing up was Pimlico which was, and I think still is a
dump. They used to polish it up for the annual big deal.
And I did try to learn about racing and handicaping for a while in my teans,
(in addition the reading the Black Stallion series like most girls my age)
All I learned was that the old guys at the diner where I worked who sat
around reading the racing section really didn't know a darned thing. They
just liked to pretend they did.

(Plus means I don't have to look
up details on past winners for my argument with my spouse)

If I may ask, what were you discussing?

Just arguing about the number of past winners. Silly of me since he is ten
years older than I am so would remember more of that sort of thing. (68 vs
58)

Old June 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Jeanne Hedge at

wrote:

[...]

Last I heard John Henry is alive and ornrey as ever, kicking up his heels at
29. I think Cigar is too. Yep, if you aren't a gelding, and you are a champ,
you won't race past year 4. Too chancy and too expensive.

Old June 6th 04, 11:19 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Jo Firey at
wrote on 6/6/04 1:34 PM:

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message

THank you for your detailed reply. I was hoping someone who knew a little
more than the bare gloss details would. (Plus means I don't have to look
up details on past winners for my argument with my spouse)

It would be great for racing if a known popular horse like Smarty continued
to race. Might get more TV coverage and more real fans.

This year, the NTRA is having a series to get people looped into the
Breeders cup which I am THRILLED about. Super Saturdays:

NTRA Super Saturdays Lineup

June 12: ESPN, 4-6 p.m. (EDT)
Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I), Churchill Downs
Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II), Belmont Park
Fleur de Lis Stakes (gr. II), Churchill Downs
Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT), Hollywood Park
Ohio Derby (gr. II), Thistledown

July 3, ESPN, 4-6 p.m. (EDT)
United Nations Handicap (gr. IT), Monmouth Park
Suburban Handicap (gr. I), Belmont Park
Firecracker Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT), Churchill Downs
American Oaks (gr. IT), Hollywood Park
Royal Ascot recap

Aug. 14, ABC, 4-6 p.m. (EDT)
Arlington Million (gr. IT), Arlington Park
Alfred Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II), Saratoga
Sword Dancer Handicap (gr. IT), Saratoga
Beverly D. Stakes (gr. IT), Arlington Park

Sept. 19, ABC, 4-6 p.m. (EDT)
Belmont Futurity (gr. I), Belmont Park
Matron Stakes (gr. I), Belmont Park
Atto Mile (gr. IT), Woodbine
Ruffian Stakes (gr. I) Belmont Park

Oct. 2, ESPN, 4-6 p.m. (EDT)
Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), Belmont Park
Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (gr. IT), Belmont Park
Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT), Oak Tree
Clement Hirsch Handicap (gr. IT), Oak Tree
Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I), Belmont Park
Flower Bowl Invitational Handicap (gr. IT), Belmont Park