After tooth surgery, cat is not the same. I am scared.

Old January 28th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default After tooth surgery, cat is not the same. I am scared.

on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 02:46:20 GMT, "Lump" wrote:

But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.

I very much hope you can, too.

I'm so sorry the visit to the emergency hospital was so disappointing. On
the positive side, she got the fluids she needs and maybe that will be just
what she needs to help her get through whatever is going on. You should
put out a bunch of extra water dishes so she doesn't have to go too far to
get a drink. Put them in every room and freshen them often and hopefully
that will help her system flush out any residual toxins from the anesthesia
(in case that is the problem).

If love can heal, she will be fine. I can tell you love her very much.
Please let us know how she fares. You are both in my thoughts.

--
Lynne
Old January 28th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

You and Madeleine will be in my thoughts and prayers. Can you keep us
updated?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"Lump" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, i took her to an emergency clinic in the next town, as there's
not one here.

Thank you all so much for your advice, by the way. You are all very
kind.

Yes, our vet did the bloodwork before the surgery and then did a more
blood work after, when she was having trouble. I really do trust him,
although i am very upset about Madeleine. But he is always very
thorough and good with the animals.

To make a long story short, the veterinarian at the emergency clinic
really couldn't do much. She didn't make any diagnosis, except that
Madeleine was dehydrated. We asked her all sorts of questions, but i
didn't feel like there were any solid answers. One thing she said
that kind of bothered me was that perhaps "it was just her time," and
that she doubted the surgery had anything to do with it. But it's
hard for me to believe that, when she was so healthy, lively and happy
before the surgery. I am not blaming the vet or anything, things can
go wrong no matter how careful a person is and i know there's always a
risk with anesthesia. it's just that it is very obvious to me that
something serious has happened this week, sometime after the surgery.
Madsie didn't just coincidentally and suddenly reach "her time," i
mean, i suppose it's possible but i have a very hard time believing
it. Before Monday, she was frisky as could be. Now she can't walk at
all. However, she seems more aware and less spacey tonight than she
did today.

Anyway, the options were either to leave her at the emergency clinic
overnight on an IV (just like she was on all day yesterday) or give
her water shots under the skin. Although she said the IV was the
better option, she also said there was no guarantee that it would
prevent Madeleine from dying. I opted for the shots under the skin
and to take her home. I just couldn't leave her there on her own,
overnight, she has already been traumatized by the visits to the vet
and everything. If she's going to die, i'd rather have it be here
beside me, where she is comfortable, than there, where i know she will
be scared.

But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.

My sister had a cat that, one day, became completely paralyzed, out of
the blue. He couldn't move at all, not one bit. She took him to the
vet and they recommended putting him to sleep, but she just couldn't
do at that time, she felt like she needed to take him home and think
about it. Well, that weekend she noticed he could move a little, and
pretty soon he was walking around like normal. He lived at least four
years after that, perfectly fine.

So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
usually does.

Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

Old January 28th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Oh I hate that -- you are worried about your cat and you take the time
and trouble to get her to an emergency vet, and then they say they can't
do much.

It probably really did help her to get some fluids. Anything to make her
feel better will help her fight.

You're doing such a great job for her. Hearing that she's bundled up
beside you and purring was just wonderful.

If it was something like a stroke, a vet told me once that cats are very
good about working their way past it and getting much better. They seem
to do better than humans in that area.

Have you been able to syringe feed her? I've used meat baby food (with
no onions) or wet food, added warm water and blenderized it. You have to
have a larger syringe because it's still a little chunky. Both cats I've
done this for have fought it at first, but I wrapped them in a towel
with just their heads out and got the stuff in. After a few sessions,
they started purring when they saw the syringe!

I hope tomorrow you wake up and she's standing by your bed, begging for
breakfast.

Will be sending good vibes and waiting for an update,

Rhonda

Old January 28th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hantayo

"Lump" wrote:
So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
usually does.

Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

You are a good kitty mom. :-)
When my Toma girl was taken to our vet, on Feb.11th, 2005, & I told them
that she was 14 yrs old - they had that attitude too. Since she was that old
"What would we expect - she's old." She always seemed much younger than her
age, too.
I always told Toma that if my love could save her - she would live forever.
Hold her as close as you can & kiss her little head for me. Peace & warm
healing to both of you...^.,.^
Kathy & Toma girl in spirit....

Old January 28th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Lump" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, the other day, she had the cleaning and teeth removed. They used
the gas anesthesia, i wouldn't go to a vet that used the injectible
stuff, after a bad experience i had some years ago.

Find out which (if) pre-anesthesia meds and/or induction agent he used. A
lot of vets use Telazol or ketamine as induction agents prior to the
inhalant maintenance agent- gas is rarely used alone. These drugs are
dissociatives and can cause prolonged recoveries and behavior similar to
that which you've described (some cats are really spaced out for days).

Phil

Old January 28th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Lump" wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to add that we stopped give her the pain meds, as the vet
instructed. So that's not what's making her spacey.

Which pain med? It wasn't Metacam (meloxicam) was it?

Old January 28th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Jan 27, 2:35 pm, "Lump" wrote:
I did a search but realized it was going to take so long and i feel
like i urgently need someone's advice or help about this, so i'm just
writing it all now. I am sorry about that.

Before i go into what is happening, here is some background info:

My cat, Madeleine, is fourteen years old and has always been very
healthy. She started to have some kind of strange allergy problem
about a year ago, so once in a while, she'll go into the vet for a
cortisone shot.

She got sick recently, with a cold, where she was sneezing and
coughing, with a runny nose. The vet gave us antibiotics and she
seemed to get better.

I also have to emphasize that, even when she had the cold, she was
still very lively. She's always running around and she likes to catch
those fuzzy cloth hair bands. Even though she's considered and "old"
cat, she has remained healthy and happy.

We took her in again and the vet said that her teeth not only needed
cleaning but that some really needed to be removed as they could
threaten her health.

So, the other day, she had the cleaning and teeth removed. They used
the gas anesthesia, i wouldn't go to a vet that used the injectible
stuff, after a bad experience i had some years ago.

Anyway, she hasn't been the same since. I expected her to be out of
it for a little while, what with the surgery and pain relievers and
everything. But wouldn't eat.

Then, one day, she gobbled up a little dish of cat food and i was very
happy and she seemed better. Bu the next day, she wouldn't eat again,
and she was falling over. She seems to be very weak.

Yesterday, we took her in again and the vet used an IV to give her
fluids and nutrients all day, and he also force fed her. Last night,
she ate some food that the vet gave us on her own but she was still
very weak. I thought it would be a good idea to walk her down the
hall, just so she could maybe start to get her strength back. I took
her to the end of it and she walked back on her own but stumbled a
bit.

But today, she won't eat again. And she can barely walk or stand up.
I've helped walk her down the hall a couple of times today, and she is
managing to use some strength, but something is wrong. It is as if
she's lost her coordination. I just force fed her a little while ago
and now i have her with me in my bed, where she always sleeps.

She is purring but i know that purring doesn't always mean a cat is
content, it could mean she is in pain. She looks like she's quivering
a bit. I've got her wrapped in blankets. She seems so spacey and
different.

Well, when I took Zapata to the Vets when he got sick, he was purring
also! So, much so that they did not detect the irregular heart beat
for a couple of days!