vet question, advice requested

Old July 27th 03, 08:00 PM
Priscilla Ballou

Default vet question, advice requested

In article ,
"QuiltShopHopper" QuiltShopHopper@org wrote:

My docile, laid back and passive 12 yr old kitty, who sleeps most of the
time, has started shaking her front paw and holding up that front leg when
she sits down. She walks on that leg just fine as if nothing hurts. I
can't figure out, and neither can the vet, what the problem is.
Vet wants me to bring her in for an all day stay to sedate her then xray her
front leg and environs. Thi$ will co$t me $ome real money. I feel that (1)
it's not a bone problem if she walks on it , (2) it's not necessary to
sedate a cat who is asleep 20 hours out of every 24 anyway, (3) why does she
have to stay all day in a charge-per-hour cage waiting for sedation and an
xray instead of me just making an appt, bringing her in, and me waiting for
her, then learning the results of the xray and discussing a plan of action?
Do all or most vets demand that they keep her all day, and sedate a cat who
is elderly and passive? Seems to me that the vet is doing this to pay off
his car sooner.
I welcome all opinions on this.
Thanks in advance,

I wonder if she would hold her paw in the right position for the xray
without being sedated.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Old July 27th 03, 09:12 PM
Elaine Rene

,
[...]

Have you asked the vet these very questions? I would do so. I think it is
always better for a cat to have his owner nearby whenever possible on a trip
to the vet.

Elaine

Old July 28th 03, 04:30 PM
Bill

"QuiltShopHopper" QuiltShopHopper@org wrote in message
[...]

QSH

These are questions you should call your vet and ask, but this sounds
reasonable to me.

The cat will not fall asleep in a strange place like the vet's office in at
precisely the time they want to take the X-ray with her leg precisely in the
correct position for the X-ray. If the cat were not sedated, someone would
have to stay in the room to hold the leg in position and expose themselves
to X-rays.

When cats are sedated, they cannot roll over on the other side. If they lie
on the same side too long, they can have dangerous respiratory problems.
Someone must "flip" them every 30 minutes or so until they are awake enough
to do it themselves. You could do this yourself at home, but I'd rather the
experts at the vet's office do it.

The per hour cage charge seems a bit much. See if you can negotiate a flat
rate, only let them keep her part of the day until she wakes up enough to
move around, or check out another vet.

Bill

Old July 28th 03, 04:58 PM
Karen Chuplis

Bill, these are precisely why it really shouldn't be necessary for her cat
to be sedated to be x-rayed. The cat is described as docile. Certainly my
vet got two very clear shots on a non-sedated cat that is a bit of a bugger
at the office and was there a fraction of the time and with no sedation.
Certain x-rays might need sedation, I suppose, but it sure seems that she
needs to check around. Also, I have never heard of an *hourly* charge for a
cage. Daily, but not hourly. This vet just sounds a bit off to me.

Karen

Old July 29th 03, 03:27 AM
-L.

"Bill" wrote in message ...
[...]

It's done all the time, wearing a lead vest. The problem here is that
kitty probably isn't as docile for the vet techs as she is for the
owner, and stillness is imperative for an x-ray. Some cats can be
held without seds for an x-ray - others cannot. Also, with limbs,
sometimes you have to manipulate the limb to get a specific view -
which is impossible on a cat that sin't sedated.

When cats are sedated, they cannot roll over on the other side. If they lie
on the same side too long, they can have dangerous respiratory problems.
Someone must "flip" them every 30 minutes or so until they are awake enough
to do it themselves.

Never heared of this. Some surgeries take far longer than thirty
minutes, and the cats are not flipped...

You could do this yourself at home, but I'd rather the
experts at the vet's office do it.

The per hour cage charge seems a bit much.

I agree. If it is done out-patient, there shouldn't be a charge
unless this is an emergency vet.

-L.

Old July 29th 03, 02:42 PM
QuiltShopHopper

199.50 for initial visit, procedure, anesthesia, her overnite stay,
meeting with vet when I picked her up,
and most likely for her follow-up visit too.
Never thought I'd see surgery etc at that price.

There are good vets with very busy practices that
don't charge to the hilt.

Please tell me you live in Albuquerque. I want that vet!

qsh