"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old February 7th 04, 11:03 PM
Adrian Lane

John Smith wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:29:35 +0000, in article
, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, nor most of the
smaller ones that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys,
will normally rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This
has been confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the
grass roots level - actually finding homes for cats.

Wrong!

Where's your source for this information. "Facts" need to be backed up
with SOURCES.

FYI I have had 3 perfectly healthy cats rehomed to indoor only
environments from Battersea Dogs Home.

Liar!

Having myself volunteered at Battersea in the past I can state quite
categorically that Battersea DO NOT rehome healthy cats to an indoor
only situation.

Well that must have been way back in the past then as I rehomed one as
early as last November (2003). They had no problem with it at all. I
have the cats here to prove it!

You may have volunteered there once upon a time, but you clearly have
no idea what is going on there now as "I can state quite categorically
that Battersea DO rehome healthy cats to an indoor only situation".

So it appears YOU are the liar.

I assume your cats are not 100% healthy then. Having watched many of the
TV programs centered on Battersea I've seen them state several times
that they don't home healthy cats indoors.

--
Adrian Lane

Old February 25th 04, 06:18 AM
lakinapook

Don't listen to this idiot. You did the right thing, and I have the
greatest admiration for you for not just dumping your cats at the
shelter because it was hard to find a place that would accept them. I
despise people who ditch their pets, pet ownership is a sacred trust,
when you adopt them you are agreeing to care for them for their whole
natural life. It sounds like this guy Bob is the abusive pet owner,
not you. One of my friends had an outdoor cat that disappeared on her
and she was heartbroken. I told her that she would need to keep any
future cats she adopted inside next time, and explained that she
wasn't being cruel in doing so. She sincerely didn't realize that
cats are perfectly content to be indoors, and now she has 4 happy
healthy cats in her house.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Old February 26th 04, 11:02 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On 24 Feb 2004 21:18:18 -0800, (lakinapook) wrote:

Don't listen to this idiot.

This from a top-posting moron.

It is about time you learnt how to format a proper usenet post/reply.
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html will give you a good start.

Failure to learn will label you either a moron or a selfish,
inconsiderate, illiterate plonker - it is all down to you.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson - however, I reserve the
legal right to charge you for future lessons if you fail to take this
opportunity to correct your errant ways.

Old February 26th 04, 06:19 PM
Tropical Tim

Hey Kilikini,
What a drag having to move like that. I've always heard that Hawaii is
costly to live in, but the rent your paying is awesome.

Lots of luck with you cats. All of my cats always live indoors. They
love it. Don't ever listen to that weird dude Bob Brenchley. The dude
is a mess. He's about 5 cans short of a sixpack.

By the way, what does your name mean?

Tim

"kilikini" wrote in message ...
I've had one of my cats for 8 years and the other for 7 years and since I
live in Hawaii it's not a big deal to leave a door open - literally. I just
moved to an apartment and I don't have the liberty of allowing my cats the
freedeom to go in and out. Now they have to use a litterbox and the outside
is a vague memory to them. In all honesty, they are flourishing! My cats
used to be feral; I rescued them when each one was about 10 weeks old. For
never being cooped up before, I think they love it. They seek out more
attention, they're more loving, they purr more loudly, they are eating
better and their personalities are really coming out. I think they feel
more secure. They're even learning to get along with the dog.......but
that's another story. g

kilikini

Old February 26th 04, 10:02 PM
kilikini

Aloha Tim (and for all of you NG people - I'm only top-posting because the
thread will make more sense this way now it's been started.)

Thanks for the encouraging words. My cats are still doing well and are now
even sleeping with me at night, which they've NEVER done before. I think
they are going to be permanent indoor cats from now on. Well, at least one
of them will be. If I ever get the chance to buy my own property and build
a house I think I'll let my female orange-striped cat out. My black and
white is just loving being indoors. My only problem with her is that she's
getting extremely interested in what I'm making and eating for dinner! LOL.
And she's loudly announcing her presence as she's waiting for a piece of
food to fall her way. g Yesterday I found her observing me from the
kitchen counter (what bit of counterspace I have in this box) and she's
never done that before! Currently, I have each one of my cats on either
side of me as I type - one on the left and one on the right. They always
have to be right by me.

I got fairly angry at Mr. Bob Brenchley. I don't usually do that. The
point I was trying to make was that I was forced to move out of my house
that I'd been in for almost 8 years because the landlady wanted it back for
her son who was getting married. When I took on pets I made a *lifetime*
decision. They're like kids, you don't get rid of them when life becomes
*inconvenient*. It took me a month and a half to even find a place that
would let me take my animals and I'm paying over $500 more a month to do so
for less than half the space I had before. Yes, it's an apartment setting
and my cats aren't free to go out. I could let them out on the lanai, but
if they decide to jump over, well, bye-bye. It's a long drop down. NO
thank you.

There are over 80,000 feral cats on Maui alone. The humane society just
recently built a $250,000 cat house to house all the caught/dropped off,
unwanted cats on the island. Unfortunately, the new cat house along with
the old house, can only hold so many and at least 20 cats are put down
daily. To have Bob make such a suggestion that I should give my cats up
because I can no longer let them outside is ludicrous! They'd most likely
be put down! Is having them put down a better thing for them than being
inside where they're loved and cared for? Sorry...........I'm getting
worked up again. Jeesh!

I didn't mean to rant on because of some trolling, closed-minded person and
I appreciate all the kind words everyone gave me regarding my situation.
Point is, I love my animals and where I go, for better or worse, they go
with me.

kilikini

P.S. Kilikini means Christine in Hawaiian - well it's a diminutive term.
Kilikina technically means Christine. Kilikini is almost like Christy.