Really close call - OT

Old December 17th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Really close call - OT

badwilson wrote:
I've been through 2 days of absolute hell. The worst thing imaginable
happened, my hard drive crashed and was un-openable.

snip tale of woe

I'm glad it wasn't worse, at least you manged to recover most of your files.
It was a very good idea getting an external drive for backup, when you're
away from home take it with you, then if anything happens to your computer
when you're not there at least you'll have your files. It must be
frustrating to download all those programs again on a dial-up connection,
hopefully when you're in Australia you'll have the luxery of broadband.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 17th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Glad you were able to do some recovery. It's amazing how fast a hard drive
goes bad. Mine went too, in the blink of an eye. One minute it's fine,
then the next, it says "cannot find c:". Talk about a scary feeling in the
pit of your stomach.

"badwilson" wrote in
I've been through 2 days of absolute hell. The worst thing imaginable
happened, my hard drive crashed and was un-openable.
It happened on Thursday evening at 5. I wasn't online, I had just
finished reading all my downloaded messages and was going to play Zuma,
when nothing happened when I clicked to open the game. I kept trying
and everything froze up and I couldn't shut down and I couldn't reboot.
So I turned it off and then on again and it wouldn't even start up
Windows, it gave me an error message.
snip snip

Old December 17th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Heaps of sympathy and purrs. Your desperation sounds akin to mine when I
lost everything a few months ago. But you sound a lot more knowledgeable
than me - all my data was lost by the guy who was supposed to be fixing the
monster.

Bev

Old December 17th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:52:35 -1200, "badwilson"
wrote:

I've been through 2 days of absolute hell. The worst thing imaginable
happened, my hard drive crashed and was un-openable.
It happened on Thursday evening at 5. I wasn't online, I had just
finished reading all my downloaded messages and was going to play Zuma,
when nothing happened when I clicked to open the game. I kept trying
and everything froze up and I couldn't shut down and I couldn't reboot.
So I turned it off and then on again and it wouldn't even start up
Windows, it gave me an error message. I tried this utility CD that
came with the computer and it did this test on the HD and said it was
bad.
So I took the computer to Dacon (little computer service place in
my town) and the guy there said he would test it. I pretty much
cried all night and got no sleep and then went back in the morning to
see what he had to say. He said the HD was wrecked and I'd need a new
one and he couldn't get the data off it. This was really bad news
because the last back up I did was in November 2004.
I can't believe I was so stupid not to back up more often. With the
old computer I did it all the time but with this new computer I never
got into the habit.
I took my computer and HD and went to Star Plaza computer mall in
Rayong, 1/2 hour away. I bought a new HD (only $60 for 80 gig) and
then I found this little computer repair place and there was a guy who
could understand some English and I got them to see what could be done
about my files.
They were able to get access to the D drive, where I keep all my
files, but not the C drive with Windows and all my programs.
Now I'm so glad I partitioned my HD when I set up the new computer and
kept the files separate from the programs! I got a bunch of blank
CD's and they burned all my files on them. It took 6 hours, so I went
home and installed my new HD in the meantime.
Of course, it wasn't so easy. I had initially tried to park
underground at Star Plaza and I turned on the lights because it's so
dark down there. But there wasn't a single parking spot available, so
I ended up parking at Tesco across the street. Well, you've probably
figured it out by now, but I never shut my lights off once I left the
underground parkade and by the time I got back to the car the battery
was dead. Luckily some of the Tesco guys pushed my car to this little
garage that's in the parking lot area and they jump started it for me.
Aaargh!
When I finally got home, I had to re-install Windows and configure
everything. I've lost all my bookmarks and downloaded programs.
In the evening I went back to Star Plaza and got my CD's. I went home
and put the files on my new HD. But all the Thailand albums and the
Vino album was missing! EEEEEK! I was very worried in case that part
was corrupted and they couldn't get at it. I tried to get some of
those albums from my last back-up CD's, I had Thailand Year 1-4 backed
up. I installed Year 1 and 2 ok, but halfway through Year 3 and all
of Year 4 was corrupted on my CD! I think it was because I did that
backup on my old computer just before I got the new one, and that CD
burner used to screw up sometimes. Who knows. So I was even more
frantic. No Year 4 & 5 and only half of Year 3 :-(
Another sleepless night.
This morning I went back to Star Plaza with my HD and after waiting
around for 1/2 hour for them to open, I got the guy to go into the HD
again. Much to my huge relief, the albums were all there! I only
lost 2 pics from Year 4 because they were corrupted. But I got
everything else!!!
I'm so relieved this almost makes me believe in God!!!!!!!
But rather than becoming a born again Christian,
I've also purchased another 80 gig HD, a portable one. I'm going to
use it as my back up drive and I'm going to install a backup program
that I got, so everything will be backed up all the time.
I've got the computer pretty much re-configured and am now just trying
to remember all my bookmarks and download my little programs again
that I had for various things.
What a pain, but I'm so relieved, things could have been much, much
worse. I'm pretty ticked off though that this HD that came in my new
computer crapped out after only 1 year! I had my old computer for
almost 5 years and nothing went wrong with either of my HD's. I sure
hope these new ones I bought will be ok. They have 5 year warranties,
but of course, the money they cost is inconsequential when compared to
the loss of all those files and pictures.

Ouch, Britta! I'm so glad you were able to get almost everything
back!

My laptop died this past summer, and there are so many things on there
I *need*. Not the least of which is all my business finances from the
first half of this year. I'm going to have to go see if someone can
get that information off and/or fix the laptop, or I'm gonna be in
*real* trouble come tax time!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old December 18th 05, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old December 18th 05, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat 17 Dec 2005 10:52:35p, badwilson wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

What a pain, but I'm so relieved, things could have been much,
much worse. I'm pretty ticked off though that this HD that came
in my new computer crapped out after only 1 year! I had my old
computer for almost 5 years and nothing went wrong with either
of my HD's. I sure hope these new ones I bought will be ok.
They have 5 year warranties, but of course, the money they cost
is inconsequential when compared to the loss of all those files
and pictures.

Glad you got most everything back Britta, and very glad you got a big
drive for backups! Even they can go, so have another plan. Like maybe
mirroring them. You just reminded me I need to do another backup!

--
Cheryl
Old December 18th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat 17 Dec 2005 01:43:52p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

My laptop died this past summer, and there are so many things on
there I *need*. Not the least of which is all my business
finances from the first half of this year. I'm going to have to
go see if someone can get that information off and/or fix the
laptop, or I'm gonna be in *real* trouble come tax time!

Wow, sorry! I hope you can get that info back.

--
Cheryl
Old December 18th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev wrote:
Heaps of sympathy and purrs. Your desperation sounds akin to mine
when I lost everything a few months ago. But you sound a lot more
knowledgeable than me - all my data was lost by the guy who was
supposed to be fixing the monster.

Bev

Aaargh, that's so frustrating! I'm so sorry you lost all your stuff, I
really feel bad for you.
I've heard of that happening where they guy fixing the problem wipes out
all your files and I was extremely worried that it would happen to me.
It's very difficult trying to explain what you need to someone who
barely speaks any English when I barely speak any Thai! I just kept
saying "must get files, save files, make CD!!!" I kept hovering around
to make sure they didn't try to format it or anything. I could have
actually done it myself after I got the new HD in except for the fact
that my computer is missing a cable to be able to install a second
internal HD.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown
Check out pictures of Vino at:

who will we call after Allen climbs the poor bathroom's cup [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 12:59 PM
how will we call after Cristof combs the healthy earth's dose Loud Werewolf Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 12:52 PM
my lost ulcer won't mould before I call it Brave Sleepy Grandmother Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 12:50 PM
Close sitter badwilson Cat anecdotes 9 July 9th 05 10:52 PM
Rufous' close call Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 19 October 15th 03 12:09 AM