PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

Old January 11th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
EADGBE

Default PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

RHONDA, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO BE UNDERSTANDING.

That is something that the two "blunt" people should have tried before
passing judgement on me!

I am NOT a cheapskate and I am NOT the kind of person who tries to take
the easy way out when it comes to caring for our pets.

I didn't want to go into this--because I didn't think I would *have*
to--but the reason that our funds are tight right now is because I lost
my job a few months back. We used to be a two-income household, and now
we are down to one income, and money is really tight right now.

It didn't used to be that way, and it won't always be that way, but
it's that way RIGHT NOW.

And THAT is why the lack of money was mentioned in my original post.

Hope this satisfies the blunt people, but if it doesn't...I honestly
don't give a damn.

Rhonda wrote:
People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
should the animals be given away immediately?

Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.

Rhonda

Old January 12th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

-T

cindys wrote:
wrote:
If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
about $45 plus shipping.

--------------
My vet (who is expensive) charges around $10 per treatment for
Revolution. It seems to me that EADGBE is not going to save a whole lot
of money by ordering on-line. That having been said, I understand I am
not taking into account the cost of the veterinary visit. A few months
ago, we brought in a foster cat who turned out to have fleas (I had
been assured that the cat did not have fleas and foolishly neglected to
check myself). My veterinarian was willing to examine just the one cat
while providing me with enough Revolution to treat my other four cats
myself at home. So, that may be a possibility...
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 12th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[Rhonda )]
[Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]

Bryan S. wrote:
Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
etc?

Bryan,

I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
should the animals be given away immediately?

Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.

Rhonda

My point remains about Frontline... it's just plain not that expensive.
If you can afford to eat more than Ramen Noodles, you can afford
Frontline... it's just a matter of prioritizing. Our pets have always
been part of the family, regarded almost as children... and as such
they've always been included in any financial prioritizing.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)
Old January 12th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[EADGBE )]
[10 Jan 2007 18:41:41 -0800]

RHONDA, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO BE UNDERSTANDING.

That is something that the two "blunt" people should have tried before
passing judgement on me!

I am NOT a cheapskate and I am NOT the kind of person who tries to take
the easy way out when it comes to caring for our pets.

I'm sorry, but my point stands. Proper care costs money. If proper
care is a priority, then it will be taken care of... if it's not, it
won't. Clearly, given your flea situation, Frontline seems to be the
definition of proper care in this case.

I write none of this with callous disregard for your situation or any
particular satisfaction in doing so, either... it's simply the truth.
The first concern, after all, is for the animals.. right? The first
concern isn't for your bruised ego at being told that you may have to
make a sacrifice or two to acquire proper care for animals in your care.

Old January 12th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

)]
[11 Jan 2007 17:33:43 -0800]

Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

I might go so far as to explain my situation to my veterinarian, and see
if he/she might be willing to cut me a break on the Frontline.

My vet back home would, in a heartbeat.

Old January 12th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...
Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

----------
No, no....I paid for every vial. What I meant was that the vet could have
insisted that she personally examine all five cats before selling me the
Revolution and that would have meant five office visits. As it was, I paid
for one office visit, which was $40 (for the foster cat since she had never
seen him before), and she just sold me the Revolution for the other cats,
sight unseen, although obviously since the others were her regular patients,
she had seen them at other times in the past.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 12th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Bryan S. wrote:
[Rhonda )]
[Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]

Bryan S. wrote:

[...]

Brian,

I thought what you were saying is that if you did not use the particular
kinds of flea spray that you recommend, but instead chose a less
expensive one -- then that is not "proper" care of your cat and you
should not have a cat in the first place.

You said if they cannot get the flea spray, how could they treat a
broken leg?

I have to think that this poster would find a way. In my opinion, if
they chose a cheaper flea spray -- so be it, that's part of
prioritizing. At least they're getting a flea spray. If the cat has
worse medical problems, I think that cat will be in the vet's office and
that will be the time to move things up to the top of the priority list.

Rhonda

Old January 12th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Bryan S. wrote:
[Rhonda )]
[Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]

Bryan S. wrote:
[...]

Both of you have pointed out two things that I relate to here.

Please understand that I wasn't trying to victimise you, or make you
feel a bad person, despite what you think...

I couldn't relate more to your circumstances if I tried.
My partner broke his back a little while back, so we have moved from a
two salaried household, to a benefits income household.I could never
have seen that one coming, but It did happen!!

I can assure you that we get very little money, & we have 5 kids & had
5cat's before this happened, but I never once considered getting rid of
my cat's;in fact I have taken on another 2 in the past 6weeks because
they needed a home "desperately".

I gave up smoking, going out @ the weekends, I buy our clothes from
charity shops, & we eat cheaper brands of food too.
It is hard, & I never asked for this to happen to us either.

As Rhonda pointed out, should we get rid of our precious cat's &
kitty's?
Well the answer to that one has to be No Way!

I am no brave courageus person, but then again, I couldn't bare the
thought of getting rid of my cat's so something had to give....
Stopping smoking nearly drove me round the bend, wearing other people's
clothe's get's up my nose, & I miss my social life as well.
I even tried buying the cheaper flea products, but it didn't last long
because the moggies started scratching themselve's silly, & it's also
worth pointing out that frontline costs nearly double what you pay in
the state's by reading other peoples posting's.

The simple truth is I am right down there with you in the same boat
too...
I know exactly what you are telling us, I have done the same things and
made the same mistakes as well.I was talking by experience & telling
you that from my experience that it wasn't worth making the same
mistake twice & that the best thing that you could do was to save a bit
longer for the slightly more expensive one, becuase at least it
works..that was all, nothing else...
Good Luck
S)

Old January 12th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Randy

"EADGBE" wrote:
We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

We use advantage on our 5 cats and it is very effective. We buy the large dog
size and divide it up into 5 doses. The large dog size is the exact same
formula just a larger qty (5 cat doses) in each vile. I pay $10 for one tube.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/