OT - vacuum cleaner recommendation for 4 cat house

Old March 25th 04, 01:11 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about Robot Vacuum (was OT - vacuum cleaner
recommendation for 4 cat house):

Sorry, on topic, my vacuum sucks so I can't help! But I was wondering, have
y'all seen the commercials for that little alien like vacuum that just runs
around the house by itself?? It looks cool, but pretty pricey still, as it's
new to market!
Let me find a link... http://www.roombavac.com/homepage.asp
or http://tinyurl.com/2hgz9
Kinda neat looking.

I wonder what the cats would think. Some might chase it around,
others would probably consider it The Ultimate Evil.

Given Felix's terror of the upright vacuum [he runs and hides when he
sees it being gotten out for use], I really don't think he'd like the
Roomba. I've heard good things about it, but I don't want to give my
furry owner a nervous breakdown.

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old March 25th 04, 02:42 AM
Takayuki

"Stacey" wrote:

Sorry, on topic, my vacuum sucks so I can't help! But I was wondering, have
y'all seen the commercials for that little alien like vacuum that just runs
around the house by itself?? It looks cool, but pretty pricey still, as it's
new to market!

Let me find a link... http://www.roombavac.com/homepage.asp

or http://tinyurl.com/2hgz9

Kinda neat looking.

Stacey

That's cool! And they're engineered right here in Massachusetts, too.
It's too bad that it has only an 8-bit processor (I was hoping that it
ran on a more flexible embedded platform, so that I would be able to
reprogram it if I ever bought one). The amazing thing is that it
costs around $200, which is about the same as a Hoover.

Old March 25th 04, 03:19 AM
MaryL

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Actually, I have seen the opposite reaction. My two furballs are frightened
of the upright vacuum but not of the Roomba. For one thing, it is a very
low object. For another, it is much quieter. The carpet looks great after
it has made its rounds -- it does an excellent job of picking up cat fur and
surface dirt. I do have to pick up items like newspapers and cat toys so
that it can clean the entire area, and I don't consider it powerful enough
to do "deep-down" cleaning, but I have been very pleased with it for the
purpose I bought it for -- that is, cleaning cat hair in-between cleanings
with the upright vacuum. It's rather pricey, though.

MaryL

Old March 25th 04, 04:14 AM
badwilson

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
I had one of the first Dirt Devils, in the 80's. Would not have a Dirt

Devil
vac if they were giving them away, free! Their parent company, since 2002,
has been based in Hong Kong and only listed on HK stock exchange. Mfg and
distribution centers are in Ohio. Don't think customer service is optimal.
Be warned.
Due to entire house being tile floored here, don't use vacuum anymore.

Really? But vacuuming tile floors is so satisfying. You can really see all
the dirt you're sucking up, especially cat hair clumps and dust bunnies. We
always vacuumed our all tile condo in Vancouver. My parents' house is all
tile too and they even have a fancy built in vacuum for it...works great! I
always figure if you sweep tiles and hardwood, you're just stirring up all
the dust into the air.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old March 25th 04, 04:17 AM
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:19:14 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote
in message ...
[...]

My parents had a cat for 15 years who liked to be vacuumed with a
DustBuster (a brand of hand-held, battery-powered vacuum cleaner). If
she heard my father using the DustBuster, she would come and beg for
a cleaning. On the other hand, if he started up his full-sized
vacuum cleaner, she would hastily go to the far end of the house. I
can't blame her; his full-sized machine was pretty loud.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Sherry

My parents had a cat for 15 years who liked to be vacuumed with a
DustBuster (a brand of hand-held, battery-powered vacuum cleaner). If
she heard my father using the DustBuster, she would come and beg for
a cleaning. On the other hand, if he started up his full-sized
vacuum cleaner, she would hastily go to the far end of the house. I
can't blame her; his full-sized machine was pretty loud.

Cherokee (RB) loved to be vacuumed to. I just used the regular vac with the
attachment on him, usually the one with the brush. He was longhaired and fat.
It reallly helped with the loose hair.
He'd come running when the vacuum started begging, just like your parents cat
did.

Sherry
Old March 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"badwilson" had some very interesting things
to say about OT - vacuum cleaner recommendation for 4 cat house:

Really? But vacuuming tile floors is so satisfying. You can really see all
the dirt you're sucking up, especially cat hair clumps and dust bunnies. We
always vacuumed our all tile condo in Vancouver. My parents' house is all
tile too and they even have a fancy built in vacuum for it...works great! I
always figure if you sweep tiles and hardwood, you're just stirring up all
the dust into the air.

I've been known to run the vacuum over the vinyl floor areas of the
apartment, simply because it's faster and IMO easier than the broom.
:-)

Old March 25th 04, 05:30 AM
badwilson

"Sherry " wrote in message
My parents had a cat for 15 years who liked to be vacuumed with a
DustBuster (a brand of hand-held, battery-powered vacuum cleaner). If
she heard my father using the DustBuster, she would come and beg for
a cleaning. On the other hand, if he started up his full-sized
vacuum cleaner, she would hastily go to the far end of the house. I
can't blame her; his full-sized machine was pretty loud.

Cherokee (RB) loved to be vacuumed to. I just used the regular vac with

the
attachment on him, usually the one with the brush. He was longhaired and

fat.
It reallly helped with the loose hair.
He'd come running when the vacuum started begging, just like your parents

cat
did.

Sherry

Vino doesn't come running, but he doesn't go anywhere either. I can easily
vacuum him with the hose with no attachment. He doesn't like it when I try
to suck one of his paws into the hose though.
After we moved to Thailand, we didn't have a vacuum cleaner for about 2
years. We finally got one last year. I thought that Vino wouldn't remember
it and be scared, but it only took about 15 min for him to be following me
around while I vacuumed. He likes to sit a few feet away looking regal in
his supervisory position. At the end he gets a once over to clean off any
loose cat hair.
Now if only I could get the maid to quit being scared of the vacuum cleaner
so I don't have to do the vacuuming myself!

Old March 25th 04, 05:37 AM
Hopitus2

No broom....don't you young ladies see those "Swiffer" commercials with the
silly people dancing to old 70's pop music? I "Swiffer" on the tiles but
with loud house and techno/trance tunes -- one gets through considerably
faster than with 70's pop. Some of the new neighbors thought we were holding
raves in here until they actually got a look at who lives here (am up very
late @ night), but these are houses and not apts. so all they could do was
gripe to the curfew-disturbing-the-peace cops, who merely rolled their eyes
after requesting lower volume on my CD housework collection. These are the
same cops who are dealing with the spring-breakers right here, right
now......over on the beach 2 miles east. LOL.

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
:
: Really? But vacuuming tile floors is so satisfying. You can really see
all
: the dirt you're sucking up, especially cat hair clumps and dust bunnies.
We
: always vacuumed our all tile condo in Vancouver. My parents' house is
all
: tile too and they even have a fancy built in vacuum for it...works great!
: always figure if you sweep tiles and hardwood, you're just stirring up
all
: the dust into the air.
:
: I've been known to run the vacuum over the vinyl floor areas of the
: apartment, simply because it's faster and IMO easier than the broom.
: :-)
:
: --

Old March 25th 04, 06:29 PM
Tanada

Debra Berry wrote:

Up to $200 is ok for cost, with a carpet "beater", relatively
quiet and lightweight (I have stairs to drag it up), a handtool
accessory would be nice. Do the hepa-filter vacuums
do a better job on cat hair, dust, and dander? How often does
the filter need to be replaced?

Two that I was looking at at Target this past weekend:

Eureka WhirlWind LiteSpeed Vacuum - bagless, HEPA filter
Dirt Devil Vision Featherlite Bagless Vacuum MO86520 - HEPA type filter

We spent about $200 for an Eureka Boss, which died an unnatural death by
cat fur and potato chips crumbs. However, before that one died, Rob and
I spotted a Bissell Powerhorse sitting next to a garbage dumpster at the
apartment complex where Amanda's boyfriend, Jim, lives at. Ok, we're
game, someone had pulled it out of storage and just dumped it outside.
It works better than the Bissell ever did.

BTW, anything left out on the curb, or next to a dumpster around here is
considered fair game and anyone who wants it can have it. We've left
our leavings out there and picked up other's as well. It works as a
strange sort of recycle system.

Pam S. one of the weird