Holiday Food

Old December 27th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Holiday Food

I made cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries. Boiled them in grape juice
and added a small amount of amé at the end, then let it cool. It's tart and
delicious. Abelard agrees.

Old December 27th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:
I made cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries. Boiled them in grape juice
and added a small amount of amé at the end, then let it cool. It's tart and
delicious. Abelard agrees.

Abelard likes it!!?? I love cranberry but it's a little too tart for
me. I made cranberry relish, where you run the cranberries raw with a
whole orange through a food processor. I have to put at least a 1/2 cup
of sugar in it or it makes my mouth pucker!
Glad Abelard had a festive Christmas!

Sherry

Old December 27th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

Pat wrote:
I made cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries. Boiled them in grape juice
and added a small amount of amé at the end, then let it cool. It's tart
and
delicious. Abelard agrees.

Abelard likes it!!?? I love cranberry but it's a little too tart for
me. I made cranberry relish, where you run the cranberries raw with a
whole orange through a food processor. I have to put at least a 1/2 cup
of sugar in it or it makes my mouth pucker!
Glad Abelard had a festive Christmas!

Sherry

You know Abelard likes a lot of stuff that most cats won't sniff twice. Of
course if I had used sugar in it I wouldn't let him have any, but I never
use sugar. Don't even have any in the house - not even hidden in prepared
food. I've avoided sugar for the last 36 years. Never liked it much before
that anyway.

Old December 27th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:
wrote

Pat wrote:
[...]

Heh. I gave up all fatty foods, limited salt, limited caffeine, and
gave up cigarettes. I won't give up sugar without a big fuss or unless
I end up with a blood sugar problem. Can't be as bad as cigarettes!

Sherry

Old December 27th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

Heh. I gave up all fatty foods, limited salt, limited caffeine, and
gave up cigarettes. I won't give up sugar without a big fuss or unless
I end up with a blood sugar problem. Can't be as bad as cigarettes!

If you're waiting to quit sugar until you have a blood sugar problem, how
come you quit cigarettes without getting lung cancer or emphysema first? Do
you know that unbalanced blood sugar is just one of a plethora of conditions
caused and exacerbated by sugar consumption? I strongly suggest reading this
book:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-Wi.../dp/0446343129

The author was a friend of mine when I lived on the east coast. The book is
a hilarious read and has more information about sugar that you'll find in
any other book.

Old December 27th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message

wrote

Heh. I gave up all fatty foods, limited salt, limited caffeine, and
gave up cigarettes. I won't give up sugar without a big fuss or unless
I end up with a blood sugar problem. Can't be as bad as cigarettes!

If you're waiting to quit sugar until you have a blood sugar problem, how
come you quit cigarettes without getting lung cancer or emphysema first?
Do you know that unbalanced blood sugar is just one of a plethora of
conditions caused and exacerbated by sugar consumption? I strongly suggest
reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-Wi.../dp/0446343129

The author was a friend of mine when I lived on the east coast. The book
is a hilarious read and has more information about sugar that you'll find
in any other book.

While I don't always follow a healthy lifestyle, I have read his book and it
is very very good. Its been years since I read it, but I still think of it
when I pick up a piece of fruit rather than a soda.

It was written close to thirty years ago wasn't it? My mother gave it to
me, and I think my oldest daughter was about ten or eleven at the time.

Part of what I think I recall is it isn't just a book telling you what not
to eat, but it also tells you what to eat instead, and why. I still make
sure I get peanut butter with no sugar added.

Jo

Old December 27th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Jo Firey" wrote

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-Wi.../dp/0446343129

While I don't always follow a healthy lifestyle, I have read his book and
it is very very good. Its been years since I read it, but I still think
of it when I pick up a piece of fruit rather than a soda.

It was written close to thirty years ago wasn't it? My mother gave it to
me, and I think my oldest daughter was about ten or eleven at the time.

Part of what I think I recall is it isn't just a book telling you what not
to eat, but it also tells you what to eat instead, and why. I still make
sure I get peanut butter with no sugar added.

It's been at least 30 years. I used to see the author a few times a year. He
was one of the funniest people alive. He's not with us anymore. He was
married to Gloria Swanson. I helped cater their wedding in 1976.

What most impresses me about the book is the historical tale of how sugar
was a virtually unknown commodity that became so common that hardly anyone
questions whether it should be consumed at all.

Old December 27th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:
wrote

Heh. I gave up all fatty foods, limited salt, limited caffeine, and
gave up cigarettes. I won't give up sugar without a big fuss or unless
I end up with a blood sugar problem. Can't be as bad as cigarettes!

If you're waiting to quit sugar until you have a blood sugar problem, how
come you quit cigarettes without getting lung cancer or emphysema first?

Because one of those pesky cardiologists wagged his finger in my face
about it after having a quadruple bypass at age 46.

Do
you know that unbalanced blood sugar is just one of a plethora of conditions
caused and exacerbated by sugar consumption? I strongly suggest reading this
book:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-Wi.../dp/0446343129

The author was a friend of mine when I lived on the east coast. The book is
a hilarious read and has more information about sugar that you'll find in
any other book.

One word: Moderation. I *really* get tired of self-help books that
preach the evils of sugar, yeast, carbs, caffeiene, whatever. I have a
friend who preaches vitamin additives, power juices, all-natural diets
but she smokes like a train. I don't get that!

Sherry

Old December 27th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

I *really* get tired of self-help books that preach

This one doesn't! It's a fun read. I promise!!

Old December 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

wrote

I *really* get tired of self-help books that preach

This one doesn't! It's a fun read. I promise!!

It isn't preachy. Its much more, this is what I did, and if nothing else I
fell in love with a beautiful woman in the process,

Jo