[OT] Adventure on the freeway

Old October 20th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] Adventure on the freeway

I had the weirdest experience the other night. I was driving home
from work, and as soon as I got on the freeway, I saw a sign (a
digital sign that can display whatever message is put into it) saying,

"Child abduction
Blue GMC SUV
License plate California plate number".

About every 3 miles, I saw another sign saying the same thing. So I
kept an eye on the cars and on the license plates, and each time I
passed a sign, I memorized a bit more of the license number. At the
point where I'd memorized the first 4 characters, I happened to look
at the license plate on the car in front of me, and DAMN, they
matched!!

There were 3 more numbers at the end, which I wasn't sure about. I
could see the plate clearly, but I didn't remember what was on the
sign. It was also a blue SUV. I couldn't see what kind of car it was,
because it was too dark, so I turned on my high beams to see if I
could read any of the writing on the back of the car. But I couldn't.
Still, there were too many similarities, so I wasn't going to play
around. I dialed 911 (emergency line) right away. And I was PUT ON
HOLD!!!! Can you believe that? 911 put me on f***ing hold!!

Meanwhile, the driver in front of me changed lanes a few times, sped
up, and lost me. It looked to me like he'd figured out I was calling
about him (I mean, he could see the signs, too) and was trying to
lose me. I sped along, trying to find him, but it was rush hour so I
couldn't drive very fast. I stayed on the freeway, passing my exit,
trying to find and catch up with the SUV. 911 had me on hold for about
**8 minutes**. (I'm glad I wasn't being raped or something! :-/)

FINALLY, someone answered. I described what I'd seen, and the
dispatcher checked her information, but it turned out the final 3
numbers didn't match. They were extremely close, though. A California
plate has 7 characters: first a number, then 3 letters, and then 3
numbers. The first number and 3 letters matched, and the last 3
numbers were off by only 1 digit! And it was a blue SUV!

Tension, did you see those signs? They were apparently on all the
major Bay Area freeways two nights ago, around 7:30PM. Have you heard
anything about that story? Did the child get rescued?

Joyce
Old October 20th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 03:18:20 +0000, jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt wrote:

[...]

You did the right thing. A couple of kidnappers were caught here just
that way. The "Amber Alert" signs are a good thing. MLB

Old October 20th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

Wow! Good for you, even if it was the wrong vehicle! That was very sharp
of you to do that.

Joy

Old October 20th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Adventure on the freeway

wrote:
[...]

That is a *great* thing for Ca. to do that. It has got to help
tremendously.
I kind of feel bad for the driver of the SUV though because he's gonna
get tailgated a lot in the next few days. One time a couple was
murdered in this area and their car stolen that was the exact make,
model as mine. I got stopped a lot by police. In fact, I was getting
out of the car at 6:30 a.m. at a doughnut shop and some overzealous
sheriff's deputy pulled his gun out on me. *That* made me very angry
and scared me half to death.
But if it helps that child get home, it's far worth any inconvenience
to anyone.

Sherry

Old October 20th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
[...]

Whoa. That is scary. I mean, I guess I can understand it, but still!! Heh.
You should have taped a sign in your window, "I AM NOT THE PEOPLE YOU ARE
LOOKING FOR".