How declawing saved my cat's life and gave him 6 more years (and counting)

Old November 26th 03, 06:59 PM
Iso

Cat Protector,

You never answered my question, and you bent my words. The obvious has
already happened, the cat was declawed because of an uneducated or
unconcerned owner. That can't be fixed. Needless to say, a vast majority of
cats are not adopted for different reasons from the humane societies and
shelters around the country; that is a FACT. The scenario that I illustrated
for you was to already state the obvious. The cat could have either gone to
a shelter or a humane society with its claws or faced the uncertainty of not
having a home; or going to a presumably conventional home, were it would be
cared for without its claws by an owner who would support the expenses of
having a cat, without its claws.

I would have liked to see the cat retain its claws, but this owner
apparently thought otherwise. Moreover, you probably adopted your first cat
with an understanding of what is to come, and the responsibility involved.
Be happy that the cat is cared for and is in home not a shelter waiting to
be adopted. Furthermore, please point out where I advocate declawing in any
of my posts, and I quote "Your whole reasoning for declawing is really not
of sound basis since their is no excuse for mutilating a cat, period." never
once have I indicated I agree with the procedure. Moreover, these cat rooms
exist throughout the county, I am not disagreeing about that. What happens
to the cats when the facility is locked down for the evening? I don't
believe that the shelters allow the cats to freely roam around the cat room
when no one is there to monitor. They go into cages, for their own safety. I
applaud your resilience regarding declawing, but the next time you reply to
a post that anyone leaves for you, please read the entire post, and don't
twist the words that are typed into meaning something that they don't.

Old November 26th 03, 07:21 PM
Wendy

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
"Wendy"
writes
.... I have heard of other cats apparently doing
fine after a declaw. The problem is I've heard of declawed cats who have
larger problems because of the declaw then the owner would have had if

they
hadn't done it. My niece adopted a declawed cat who had one toe that just

wouldn't heal///

...the problem I had with the poster is apparently no
effort was made to adjust the scratching behavior before the :kitty ended

up
declawed.

Evidently, you and I (and a very large group of people who are informed
about
the issue) support the no-declaw position and believe of the horrific
cruelty
of the procedure. However, there is another very large group of people who
do
not yet believe or are unaware of the steps constituting a declaw and that
is
is perceived/it is cruel and inhumane. Both groups are cat lovers and both
groups do much to improve the lives of strays, cats waiting for adoption,
and/or family pets.

Unlike those who own show dogs or pedigreed pets where the breeds routinely
promote/expect the ear cropping/tail bobbing. Logic would dictate the
absurdity
of this practice, ....you might think?!!!!! Those who believe declaw is not
dangerous or cruel may not know that it involves the amputation of a body
part.
Some - many may truly believe (if they think about it) that only the nail is
removed.

Obviously, more education/promotion is recommended to get the word out.
There
are many people (who have good intentions) who post here with some
unbelievable
things. For example, a few days ago, someone wondered if it was cruel to
"neuter" their 7 year old female cat. While the answer would seem to be
obvious
to a significant number of people - and perhaps viewed as a ridiculous
question
(the answer being...go ahead and spay your cat...prevent ovarian
cancer...etc.), it's not obvious to us all.

As far, the cat (described above) who went through a declaw and came out
with a
toe that would never heal. Was that a botched job to blame on the
veterinarian? If so..that issue should be covered. But, with that issue
aside,
the behavior of a cat who is going/went through a specific procedure,
sickness
or circumstance and comes out the other side a changed cat...maybe more
factors
that the procedure/sickness/circumstance might be involved...a secondary
cause
- joined with the primary cause - might be to blame.

I don't know if the paw problem was a botched declaw although it would
appear so with no other info. My niece didn't know as the cat was adopted
this way. She did tell me that she had seen similar problems when she worked
for a vet. Not that the vet she worked for botched the job but rather people
bringing cats into her vet with healing problems. Guess there's a vet in the
area who doesn't know what he's doing. Shy of asking a vet for references
from his declaw patients I don't know how one would avoid the less
surgically skilled.

Old November 26th 03, 08:06 PM
Ray Ban

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
In ,
Iso composed with style:

Just be happy that the cat isn't in a shelter waiting to find a
home, or on the street. Be happy the cat has a home. It's one less
cat everyone has to worry about being hit by a car, or even
euthanized. Deal with it.

Never. It is attitudes like yours that will make it harder to have
the mutilating procedure banned. Read some of the archives.
Diversion and training work.

In the meantime, if you don't have any patience to train the cat, go
ahead and let it die on the streets and in a shelter. That's way
better than mutilating the cat.

Old November 26th 03, 10:33 PM
Cheryl

In om,
Mary composed with style:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
In om,
He Who Walks with Knuckles Dragging

Heh.

The funny thing is that the OP came from some research company in NC.
Do you think we're some sort of research project on how easily we're
trolled? lol

Old November 26th 03, 10:33 PM
Cheryl

In om,
Mary composed with style:

Old November 26th 03, 10:40 PM
Cheryl

In om,
Iso composed with style:

The University
is doing this research in an unbiased manor as a pledge to
community service. Since there are so many people that are against
the procedure of declawing, the hope is to finally have a
resolution on the subject (in my area). These are due to be
published soon. I'll email you when they become available.

Please post the results here.